DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   How to download stills from HF G10? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/505029-how-download-stills-hf-g10.html)

Joe Marler February 5th, 2012 10:15 AM

How to download stills from HF G10?

Of course I can plug in via USB and download using the camera as a hard drive, they are under the DCIM folder. But this doesn't automatically renumber the filenames.

On p. 129, the G10 manual says use the "supplied software Photo Application". Which one is that?

It says "Refer to Installing Photo Application". There is no such topic in the manual.

To save photos to the PC it says "Refer to Downloading Still Images to the Computer". There is no such topic in the manual.

The Canon Transfer Utility is apparently for video only. I tried ZoomBrowserEX 6.6.023, but it doesn't recognize the HF G10.

What is the common practice for downloading stills from the HF G10? Do you use Canon utilities, 3rd-party utilities, or just mount the camera as a hard drive and copy them over manually?

System info:

Windows 7 Home Edition SP1 64-bit
Motherboard: EVGA P55 FTW (A72 BIOS)
CPU: quad-core Intel i7-860 @ 3.8Ghz, hyperthreading on, RAM: 8GB DDR3
System disk: 300GB Velociraptor, 10k rpm SATA
Data disk: 2 x 1.5TB Barracuda, 7200 rpm SATA, RAID 0
Video: EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX-275 896MB, driver: 8.17.12.5896(258.96)

Maurice Covington February 5th, 2012 02:24 PM

Re: How to download stills from HF G10?

I'm on a MAC and for me it works the same as video. In fact at one time I had the opposite problem. I didn't want the pictures but they were being loaded to the machine anyway.

Good luck!

Jeff Harper February 6th, 2012 12:28 PM

Just use the USB thing and download them to a folder and rename them yourself. Very simple.

Joe Marler February 6th, 2012 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1713575)
Just use the USB thing and download them to a folder and rename them yourself. Very simple.

I've always done that, but there are several reasons for using a utility:

(1) The G10 won't let you modify the in-camera name, e.g, date+number. If you download lots of photos over long periods in multiple folders, the filenames are redundant and are hard to find.

(2) I have two 32GB cards in my G10, so there are three separate source locations in the camera to manually copy from. That's why the Canon *video* Transfer software gives you the option of in camera, A or B card or both. We need similar for stills. I don't know why the transfer utility doesn't do stills.

(3) The manual implies there's a utility for photo transfer, I just can't find it.

I've been meaning to get Photo Mechanic, which can do this; I'll probably just do that: Welcome to Camera Bits, Inc.

Jeff Harper February 6th, 2012 04:25 PM

I'm not saying a utility wouldn't be nice, I'm suggesting it is just beyond easy to do it manually.

Just checking, you do know how to do a group rename right? So for the first 50 photos, for example, you can select them, rename them "Event A" and those 50 will be renamed Event A 001, Event A 002, etc in just one click.

Sorry couldn't be of more help.

Joe Marler February 7th, 2012 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1713631)
Just checking, you do know how to do a group rename right? So for the first 50 photos, for example, you can select them, rename them "Event A" and those 50 will be renamed Event A 001, Event A 002, etc in just one click...

I didn't know that, thanks for the tip. Something similar can be done from the command line, e.g:

for /l %i in (1,1,8) do ren pic*.jpg february2012-%i.jpg 2>nul

Where:
- 8 is approx. # of files (assign your own # based on # of files to process)
- pic*.jpg is an example file wildcard for the target group
- february2012 is the prefix you add to each filename
- %i is a numeric suffix automatically added as the command loops through the files

Jeff Harper February 7th, 2012 10:34 PM

When done from within Windows it is simpler, maybe that will help. I routinely download hundreds of photos and video clips from 4 cams for every wedding, and I rename everything I donwload. It takes about ten seconds for each group of photos or video.

To be clear, you select the group to be renamed, then right click on the first item in the series. Then move your cursor to an non acitve area in the window and click again. The numbers are added automatically. In windows 7 you can undo the rename from the folder toolbar if you made a mistake. I believe it's best to add an extra space at the end of the name, but I'm fuzzy on that, I do it mindlessly anymore and I can't remember.

Jay Massengill February 17th, 2012 09:49 AM

You can also use Irfanview to batch process, convert, re-size and/or rename photo files.

Don Palomaki February 20th, 2012 06:40 AM

Quote:

(3) The manual implies there's a utility for photo transfer, I just can't find it.
See page 13 of the manual, should be in the Photo Applications / Music Disc that comes with the camcorder. (FWIW, not part of the XA10 package). The Canon HF-G10 web page download section even appears to have an update for it.