DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Sudden annoying problem with G10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/506413-sudden-annoying-problem-g10.html)

Geoff Holland March 26th, 2012 09:48 PM

Sudden annoying problem with G10

A week or so ago I stuck a 32GB Duracell class 10 SDHC card in my G10 (which I decided not to take back and change for an XA10 after all!). I don't really need it but it was on sale :-) I am using the card as the recording medium rather than the internal (figuring that I'll prolong the life of the internal).

Today, when switching the camera on, I got a big red-letter screen saying something like "Don't forget to back up your video". The wording is probably completely wrong, but the gist is the same. I'd never seen that before, and it wouldn't have been a big deal except it prevented me from recording for what felt like days but was probably 4 seconds or so... but I still "missed the shot". It happened about 4 times in a row.

I just tried it now (after archiving and deleting the card) to see what the exact message was, but Murphy's Law says.....

Has anyone else seen this warning before, and better still, does anyone know how to disable it. It really is super annoying.

Cheers.

Eric Olson March 26th, 2012 11:10 PM

Re: Sudden annoying problem with G10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geoff Holland (Post 1723315)
it wouldn't have been a big deal except it prevented me from recording for what felt like days but was probably 4 seconds or so... but I still "missed the shot". It happened about 4 times in a row.

Try using the Quick Start button to quickly bring the camera in and out of standby mode.

Don Palomaki March 27th, 2012 06:22 AM

Mentioned on page 158 of the manual.

Was this only when powering on the camcorder with video recorded to the SD card?

Likely a friendly reminder because information on SD cards is somewhat volitle, and SD cards are subjct to accidental abuse by users; e.g., removing before writes are completed, open files and directories closed, and they are unmounted by the system. This can result in data lost.

Geoff Holland March 27th, 2012 08:04 AM

Eric, Don

Thanks for the replies.

Eric, good point about Quick Start. I haven't bought a new battery yet and am wary of leaving it in "standby" for too long as it still takes power. I'd better buy a bigger battery sooner rather than later!

Don, yes I think it was that message on page 158. I've been using the SD card for a couple of weeks and never seen the message before.... then yesterday, 3 or 4 times in a row. Weird. Maybe it was because I had more material recorded than normal, and passed some sort of trigger point?

Any way, at least I'm assured the camera / card is working OK!