Canon HF M400/500 vs HF G10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 27th, 2012, 06:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon HF M400/500 vs HF G10

Hello.

I have used prosumer camcorders in the past, mostly Sony PD-170, HVR-Z1U and now I am looking for a budget camcorder for doign some web videos.

I have purchasd a HF M400 and looking at a HF G10. I know the sensor is the same, however is there much difference in the way of quality between the HF G10 and the HF M400/500? I know that the HF G10 has more manual controls but not really concerned about that. Just looking at overall picture quality. The HF M400 seems to do what I want for now, but wondering if the HF G10 is worth the $500+ more.

Thanks
Mark
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Canon HF M400/500 vs HF G10

Apart from more manual options and the focus ring, I'm pretty sure the G10 features a different and better lens compared to the M-series. It's a bit like Canon L-lenses vs regular lenses, so I think the G10 will give you better flare resistance, less chromatic aberration and beter contrast. Although the sensor is exactly the same, the better lens should give you better overall image quality, but honestly, I think if you're shooting for web only it won't matter that much.

Also the G10 features an audio-input port (via 3.5mm-jack, not XLR), something the M400 doesn't have if I'm correct. So if sound is important to you, make sure you get a decent videomic (I recommend the Rode VideoMic Pro). I have the (European) M46 and it does have mic-input too.
Michiel van Baasbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiel van Baasbank View Post
I'm pretty sure the G10 features a different and better lens compared to the M-series.
While both cameras have 10x zoom lenses, but the HFM400 lens is longer and the HFG10 is wider.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks very much for the replies. I recently rented an HF G10 and for the differences and for what I will be using it for for now, I think I will go with the HF M400 or M500 if I can't find another M400. The HF G10 is a much better camera all around, but the quality under my lighting conditions is not noticable enough to justify the price. Also, I will have to buy 2 cameras so the price of the 2 m-series will only come close to 1 HF G10 and as much as I like the features of the HF G10, I can tolerate the controls of the M-series for now until i get more money coming in.

Just a note, that the HF M400 does have an audio input jack and it is selectable to line level or mic level and is also adjustable. Which is something that I wish the sony cams had, but Canon seems to be the best in this price point.

Thanks again
Mark
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:42 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I came to the forum looking for this discussion. I am in a similar situation where I am in need of a camera that can be setup, left alone and get a decent picture per the environment that it's exposed to.

The camera I'm replacing is the HV20 and when I started comparing the current camera models, I noticed that the sensor was the same in all of them (M series, G10, A10). While the each model has different features, the picture would be relatively the same and in turn would the viewer be any wiser.

- Chad
Chad Ream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 10:22 AM   #6
Wrangler

Quote:
I noticed that the sensor was the same in all of them (M series, G10, A10). While the each model has different features, the picture would be relatively the same and in turn would the viewer be any wiser.
FWIW. There are other factors including the lens and the digital signal processing chip and its program/set-up that would have to track reasonably closely as well. Not to say they do not, but if match is important, worth checking to be sure.
Old May 21st, 2012, 10:25 AM   #7
Inner Circle

My first step in choosing would be to sort out which cameras offer shooting modes that will be compatible with your current camera so you can avoid re-conversion in post or whatever.

I personally like to shoot with cameras all shooting at identical frame rates, etc. The XA10 offers "real" 24p for example, the G10 offers 24p in a wrapper. Minor enough difference, but I want identical for me. The various models differ in this way, among others, so I'd start by looking at how you shoot currently and then you can seek out a new camera model that will work best for you.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:17 AM   #8
New Boot

I have both the HFG10 and the HFM40. I'd definitely go for an M series if you plan on just setting a camera up and leaving it. The only reasons I can think that you might prefer a G10 for such a situation would be the wider lens, dual slot recording, maybe the waveform, or 24P recording.

Jeff: The G10 does real 24P also. The M series only does PF24.
Chris Frechette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:01 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Thanks for correcting me Chris. I thought I could have been mistaken on that specific point, but the main idea, of course is that we at least check these details before purchasing. I seem to remember some sort of difference in available frame rates between the G10 and XA10, maybe they are identical after all.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2012, 05:45 AM   #10
Wrangler

FWIW: all camcorders the same means fewer different user interfaces/menu/control structures to learn and remember. Sometimes a valuable attribute if working under time pressure.
Old May 24th, 2012, 09:36 AM   #11
Regular Crew

So I ended up purchasing the HFM52 and I am pleased with the purchase. Coming from the HV20, there are a lot of features that are new to me and the workflow alone is a whole new experience. For the cost, the camera meets my expectations.

I would like a XF series camera, but have a hard time justifying their price (especially since my A1s are working fine.).
Chad Ream is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders