DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   What type of polarizer to use with HFG10? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/507707-what-type-polarizer-use-hfg10.html)

Chris Frechette May 10th, 2012 11:11 PM

What type of polarizer to use with HFG10?

I'm going to be taking a lot of video outside this summer, so I would like to get some polarizers for my HFG10 and HFM40. Should I be using circular or linear with these cameras? Thanks

Les Wilson May 11th, 2012 04:43 AM

Re: What type of polarizer to use with HFG10?

Time to learn about polarizers. It will serve you well to understand when they work, when they don't work and why. If you search here on DVinfo, you'll find some information on it. Here's a great article:
Polarizers

But to answer your question, I think you want to use a circular polarizer. It lets you can dial in the polarization for the angle you are shooting (as explained in the article).

Don Litten May 11th, 2012 06:31 AM

Yep...learn and experiment.

You will need a circular for the G10, Otherwise it will hunt excessively or you'll need to go to manual focus.

I don't use a polarizer when getting closeups of people. It does deaden some of the skin tone and reduce the facial detail.

Other than that, one stays on the camera pretty much all the time for daylight shooting.

Jeff Harper May 11th, 2012 07:37 AM

Thanks for bringing this up Chris. I had forgotten about polarizers. I don't need them often, but at one place in particular where I shoot they really do come in handy. For wedding work they are more of a hassle and I tend to forget to take them off so I forego them, and I've gotten completely out of the habit of keeping them in my bag.

I do have a lens pouch with belt clip, so next time I shoot portraits outdoors I will remember to take along my pouch.

Chris Frechette May 11th, 2012 04:32 PM

Thanks for help guys. I found a lot of info out there. Some of it conflicting or just kind of confusing. Wasn't sure what was best for this camera.

Is anyone using a hood with their polarizer? I assume the Canon one will interfere too much with adjusting the filter.

Don Litten May 11th, 2012 06:23 PM

The regular hood will fit over a CP but not well and it's impossible to adjust it.

I use this hood with a step up ring on my G10 and XA10

Adorama MLH77 77mm Metal Lens Hood MLH77

Allan Black May 11th, 2012 07:30 PM

One thing I found with Polarisors, once you set up the polarised shot, if you move the camera you lose your pol effect. Shooting with 2 different blue sky colour shades can be a problem.

Yes they're good for cancelling reflections in glass, water etc. but imo they're a tool for still camera users.

Bit off topic but we find graduated ND filters are great. They can drop the sky up to 2 stops, getting more detail on the ground.

B+w grad filter

Cheers.

Chris Frechette May 11th, 2012 08:22 PM

I was mostly wanting to use a polarizer to get rid of the washed out look that sky reflections on vegetation and roads can cause. It just makes the whole landscape pop out more. I have been considering grabbing a graduated ND too. I'll just pick up both and do some experimenting.

Les Wilson May 12th, 2012 07:00 AM

Be aware that some auto focus mechanisms don't work with graduated polarizers.

Polarizers are not just for still photography. If you know how to use them, your video will better than the shooter that doesn't know how to use them. The article I posted above explains how they are more than just for glare and why you would get different color skies unless you adjust the polarizer when you change angles.

Lens hoods definitely make adjusting the polarizer harder but the polarizer benefit to IQ may be more than the shade. A trick I learned here on DVInfo is to have a pencil in your pocket. The eraser end will let you grab the ring inside the hood and adjust it.

Don Litten May 13th, 2012 11:18 AM

Just a note on the hood I posted Les, You adjust the CP by turning the hood. Makes it a lot easier especially since I'm using an oversized filter.

Allan Black May 14th, 2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Les Wilson (Post 1732906)
Be aware that some auto focus mechanisms don't work with graduated polarizers.

Do you mean they can't focus through grad ND filters? Which ones Les.

AFAIA grad NDs behave just like std screw on filters.

Cheers.

Jeff Harper May 14th, 2012 08:20 PM

I might be mistaken Allan but I think Les meant "linear polarizers", not graduated. The bottom line is you want to purchase a circular polarizer rather than a linear if you intend to use auto focus. When shopping just make sure it has "circular" in the description and you're good to go.

Les Wilson May 14th, 2012 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allan Black (Post 1733303)
Do you mean they can't focus through grad ND filters? Which ones Les.

AFAIA grad NDs behave just like std screw on filters.

Cheers.

I'm going on the Luminous Landscape article I referenced above. See the section called: Circular Vs. Linear Polarizers

Don Litten May 15th, 2012 08:33 AM

It's the linear that cause the real problems although some circular make th camera hunt more.

Jeff Harper May 15th, 2012 08:55 AM

Sorry Les, I don't know about graduated polarizing filters. The linear type can cause the same issue you described so that's what I thought you meant.