Editing HFM500 AVCHD - Without the Camera at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 12:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Editing HFM500 AVCHD - Without the Camera

My client has a new HFM500. She's going to shoot. I'm going to edit using FCP7.
We shot some AVCHD test footage. Ideally I'd like to be able to borrow the SDHC card and start the edit using that.

Used a card reader on my Mac to copy the files from the SDHC card. No camera connected. Copied to a folder on my Mac. No joy. Couldn't do a Log & Transfer using just the camera files copied from the card.

Tried again with the SDHC card in the camera, connected with USB. Success. Log & Transfer worked fine. Easy.

So does anyone know a workaround for this? I really don't want to borrow her camera every time she has something to edit.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. By the way, the footage from this $500 HFM500 is decent.
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:00 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Editing HFM500 AVCHD - Without the Camera

This has been addressed in several threads in the AVCHD forum.

In short, FCP wants to see the folder structure on the SDHC card, especially the CLIP and PLAYLIST files and folders along with the STREAM folder and MTS files. If you copy this structure and the files to your transfer media you should be OK.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 08:22 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: Editing HFM500 AVCHD - Without the Camera

Thanks Don! Appreciate the response. Will attempt copying the files again and make sure they are all on the SD card. Will post here again if I can make it work.
Keith Dobie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders