DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Sony UVW-1800 deck INTO HV40? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/513056-sony-uvw-1800-deck-into-hv40.html)

David Stembridge December 31st, 2012 04:49 PM

Sony UVW-1800 deck INTO HV40?

I recently acquired a Sony UVW-1800 Beta SP deck, that I want to use to convert some old footage into DV, mainly for preserving older "home footage" that was shot on my news camera...

The deck has component out, and sVideo out. Most everything was shot 4:3 I'm pretty certain.

Is it possible to run a component line out of a Sony UVW-1800 deck, using the component cable that came with my HV40, and actually pass through into my Mac via firewire?

Or, do I just need to plan on using my Grass Valley ADV-55 Dv converter. I believe component is supposed to be higher quality than sVideo.

Thanks for any input!

Jack Zhang January 1st, 2013 06:44 AM

Re: Sony UVW-1800 deck INTO HV40?

To capture full component quality, you'll need something like the Intensity Pro or Intensity Shuttle.

You can get a BNC to RCA adapter and do an AV->DV with the included composite AV cable, then you'll need a XLR to RCA adapter to convert the audio connector types into something the HV40 can use.

David Stembridge January 2nd, 2013 02:01 PM

Thanks Jack, do you suppose the quality would be any higher using the Intensity Shuttle over passing through the HV40?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Zhang (Post 1770519)
To capture full component quality, you'll need something like the Intensity Pro or Intensity Shuttle.

You can get a BNC to RCA adapter and do an AV->DV with the included composite AV cable, then you'll need a XLR to RCA adapter to convert the audio connector types into something the HV40 can use.

Rick L. Allen January 2nd, 2013 03:43 PM

David the most direct and best quality conversion is Component Out of BetaSP deck into Component In of your PCI-e card (Blackmagic, AJA, etc.). The most direct path is almost always best. In video signals component is better than S-video which is better than composite (the worst of the three). Looping thru the HV40 only adds an unnecessary conversion. Using your PCI-e card as input you can then pick the storage codec that most suits your needs. Remember, that the best the Beta deck will output is 720 X 486 video and ProRes 422 or ProRes 422 (LT) will be more than sufficient for maintaining picture quality.

David Stembridge January 2nd, 2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick L. Allen (Post 1770748)
Remember, that the best the Beta deck will output is 720 X 486 video and ProRes 422 or ProRes 422 (LT) will be more than sufficient for maintaining picture quality.

Thanks Rick,

I have a friend thats going to loan me a Black Magic device tomorrow, does make the most sense. I appreciate the specs on size, I couldn't seem to find those....

Will I still be able to capture via FCP as non controlled device, specifying ProRes, rather than having to convert?

Thanks again!

Rick L. Allen January 2nd, 2013 06:15 PM

Make sure your friend brings the cable harness for the Blackmagic. The deck will be controllable via the RS422 9 pin connector. Codec is not related to control protocol. Set up the Blackmagic for the codec you want.

David Stembridge January 5th, 2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick L. Allen (Post 1770777)
Make sure your friend brings the cable harness for the Blackmagic. The deck will be controllable via the RS422 9 pin connector. Codec is not related to control protocol. Set up the Blackmagic for the codec you want.

Unfortunately.... it turned out to be a ADVC-110 - so either I spend $240ish on a Intensity Shuttle thunderbolt edition, or just go with the sVideo out. I plan on selling the deck after I do the transfers, and could bundle the shuttle I guess.

Don Palomaki January 5th, 2013 11:17 AM

Have you tried the ADVC55 to see whether or not s-video quality is sufficient for your purposes?