CES2013: Canon USA Announces VIXIA HF G20 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 31st, 2013, 10:45 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: CES2013: Canon USA Announces VIXIA HF G20

Looking at this review of of the HF-G20 at CES, looking at the view of the camera at 1:36, it appears to me the LANC port is gone. I'm comparing what I'm seeing to my HF-S200, which seems very similar in layout, but did port placement change going to the HF-Gxx series?

CES 2013: Canon Vixia HF G20 HD Camcorder | Top of the line consumer camcorder | HFG20 - YouTube
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 05:08 PM   #17
Sponsor: Omega Broadcast

Did y'all see this?

Canon HFG20 will be replacing the HFG10. 20% better low light performance. No word on improvements to the XA10. This was in their closed off and draped "low light test" area:
(146mb total size)
Free Online Storage - MediaFire
Old February 3rd, 2013, 01:35 PM   #18
Regular Crew

well i know for one this would be a deal breaker for me. i was waiting for the G20's release to pick up 2 or 3 of 'em . . but . . if there is NO LANC its a NO BUY
Old March 16th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I have just taken delivery of a new HF-G25, which is the UK version of the HF-G20. I can confirm that not only does it have a "remote" socket (2.5mm) under a flap on the side, under the wrist strap, but that it works with my Manfrotto LANC controller which I normally use on a Sony Z5.

I'm in the middle of rendering an unboxing and "first look" video which I'll upload to YouTube tonight I hope; I will then do some test videos - low light, contrasty light, audio, stabilisation etc as well as a look at the menus and so on.

So far I have to say the "Powered" Stabilisation (the best it can do) is remarkable and the ordinary setting is pretty good as well.

Cheers
Dave
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2013, 04:58 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info. If the USA version can work with my LAN-C lens controller, it's gonna be my new 3rd camera!
Old March 17th, 2013, 08:51 AM   #21
Regular Crew

First test video now uploaded and included below (I've also uploaded two unboxing videos - I talked so much I decided to split it into two sections...)

This was shot fully automatic, at highest quality (24Mbps, 'MXP' setting), 1080/25p

This file was not edited or processed in any way, I uploaded the file directly from the camera so it is as true a representation of the camera's output as you can get apart from YouTube's compression which inevitably does have a detrimental effect.

I deliberately included some fast zooms to try to confuse the camera's autofocus; also dipped and bobbed the camera to the bridge and sky to see how well its autoexposure works.

Old March 18th, 2013, 04:28 PM   #22
Tourist

Please, do a low light test in manual mode and use Gain: 0db to test it's sensibility!
And then...push the gain to test noise....
If you have a XA10 or HF G10...please put side by side to compare!
Valter Pinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 08:29 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Hi,

As you are now aware, I have done just that, they're on my YouTube channel (UKAirscape) along with all the others.

Cheers
Dave
Old March 26th, 2013, 08:55 AM   #24
Major Player

Thanks for these videos, Mr. David Johns.

The manuals for the Canon HF-G20 have finally shown up on the Canon USA website here:
Canon U.S.A. : Consumer & Home Office : VIXIA HF G20

And the remote terminal is still there. Let the rejoicing begin...
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #25
Regular Crew

personally i love this camera (canon hf g20). purchased two of them and use them routinely with the canon hf m40.

the only thing im still working on is editing. still haven't developed a workflow that is pleasing although i have yet to have an output. when i use "log and transfer" in final cut pro 7, there is this sawtooth looking edges on all the vertical lines (like the edge of a person) although as long as the person stands still or the lines are not moving, the horizontal sawtooth edges are NOT there.

anyone have any ideas of a solution to this phenomena? and/or if the phenomena actually isn't there in the output?
Old June 10th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #26
Wrangler

Judge by an actual output of an edited product on the traget viewing system; e.g., a Blu-ray or DVD player feeding a HD TV set.

I am not a FCP user and do not know its internals, but some NLEs simplify and/or scale displayed images used during editing to speed up the process and use less computer resources. Some use reduced resolution proxy files. Some may display aalternate fields, not full frames. Thus the computer screen diplay may not be not a good indicator of the final product.
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
Judge by an actual output of an edited product on the traget viewing system; e.g., a Blu-ray or DVD player feeding a HD TV set.

I am not a FCP user and do not know its internals, but some NLEs simplify and/or scale displayed images used during editing to speed up the process and use less computer resources. Some use reduced resolution proxy files. Some may display aalternate fields, not full frames. Thus the computer screen diplay may not be not a good indicator of the final product.
i actually had not loaded it into FCP but was simply seeing that issue in the quick view (space bar) player and quicktime viewer. i even seen it in the vlc player. that means it is really there. i did some working with the files and have learned this:

- interlace (60i) on the avchd/h.264 causes this effect. the effect does not exist on video i filmed in 24p or 30p . . only on interlace.
- the effect can be removed by encoding to ProRes422 (not intermediate) and ProRes422 HQ (although the latter files are larger, slow rendering, and don't appear to give any difference in video than the ProRes422.
- the files can be converted to ProRes422 (QT video) via Wondershare Video Converter and is a lot easier to do than through FCP Log and Transfer, let alone it is easier to do in the background and then just transfer the videos in.

:-)
Old June 10th, 2013, 10:20 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Symptom sounds similar to how my interlaced video looked when it was being treated as lower field first but in fact was upper field first. Not sure how that would happen with a player, but it sure sounds familiar to me. In Vegas I had 1080i footage, half was upper field first, the other half was lower field, and after rendering I got the jaggies as described on scenes with motion.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Symptom sounds similar to how my interlaced video looked when it was being treated as lower field first but in fact was upper field first. Not sure how that would happen with a player, but it sure sounds familiar to me. In Vegas I had 1080i footage, half was upper field first, the other half was lower field, and after rendering I got the jaggies as described on scenes with motion.
probably. however, as indicated . . problem solved AND i will shoot all future video in "p" progressive :-) or if i have to use "i" interlaced then i will use wondershare to convert to prores422 to get rid of the obvious malfunction :-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders