so any thoughts on the new Canon HF-G30? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 06:26 AM   #1
Major Player

so any thoughts on the new Canon HF-G30?

it has been available for a few days now, and I was hoping some forum user would have bought it by now to hear some impressions and opinions, especially on the 3 big changes, (1) the 50/60p (2) the ability to record as MP4 (3) the WI-FI connectivity

anyone?
Fed
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2013, 07:23 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: so any thoughts on the new Canon HF-G30?

I have the XA20, which is essentially the same camera as the HF-G30, which doesn't have the XLR mic ports. I've not had a chance to experiment with the Wi-Fi features yet. However, I have tried the 60p and the MP4 settings, and they work very well. The image quality that the XA20 produces is excellent, and if you find yourself not needing the ability to connect XLR mics, the HF-G30 should produce equally good images.

For the money, the XA20/25 and HF-G30 are excellent cameras and a really good value. I think Canon have hit a home run with these cameras and will definitely give Sony, Panasonic, and JVC a run for their money.

I say this because the only offering from Sony that directly competes with the XA20 in its price range is the NX30, which doesn't offer ND filters or much in the way of manual controls. For $700 ~ 800 more than the Canon, even the Sony NX-70 has no ND filters and has only a few manual controls. Its main drawing card is its waterproof, dustproof body. By comparison, the Canon offers at least electronic ND filters and a considerable array of manual controls. The two things I wish it had are an external ND switch, and the ability to set and store picture profiles.

The closest Panasonic competitor is the AC90, which looks, feels and handles like a true pro camera but is let down a bit by its tiny 1/4.7" image sensors and lack of assignable ND filters.

JVC offers a similar camera, the HM-150, which also has 1/4" image sensors. It typically sells for about $400 more than the Canon does but has a tiny 2.7" LCD panel (vs. the Canon's 3.5" screen) and a low-res viewfinder.
Steve Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2013, 05:35 AM   #3
Wrangler

Quote:
...the Canon offers at least electronic ND filters ...
But this is not to say they are not real physical filters. The topic was beat to death with he XA10 a couple years ago. They use electronics to move the filter into the light path as called for. See the thread below.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa...on-xa10-4.html
Old July 6th, 2013, 07:10 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks Steve. But what about wifi connectivity? Just a gimmick?
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Haven't tried the Wi-Fi features yet, so can't comment on whether they are really useful or, as you put it, 'a gimmick'. When I get around to trying them out, I might post something.
Steve Struthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Regular Crew

I have been trying out the WiFi / FTP and have noted various flaws which I've posted about in the DV Industry News thread - here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/digital-...ml#post1803982

Regards
Dave
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2013, 11:11 AM   #7
New Boot

I just received the HF-G30, and I am very pleased so far. I am still evaluating the new features and how they compare with my G10, as well as other video cams I own.

I like the new Oled screen for it's responsiveness and brightness.

Haven't been blown away by the IS so far, but most of my work is on the tripod anyway.

The added programmable function buttons are very nice .....wish there were a couple more.
I'm not real crazy about how recessed they are. My fat fingers have a hard time poking them.

I like the tiltable viewfinder, which is not a big thing except those times when I want to get that lower perspective view, as through flowers that are low and the sun is really bright inhibiting the use of the lcd screen.

The joystick control for the viewfinder and led screen is very nice, however, it is a little bit clumsy for me due to the fact that I have to use my left eye(right one is too far gone), and I have a bit of a hard time getting my thumb to work the thing. Actually it's hard to work the joystick and function button right under it with my thumb when holding the camera as it was intended to be held. Of course most times it's on tripod anyway.

Amazingly I find the 2x function of the zoom to be not bad in quality which of course is a very subjective thing. But after dealing with poor digital zoom in other cameras, I am pleasantly surprised. For my needs in capturing distant wildlife I think it will be very useful. I have tried superzoom cameras, but they do not have a remote control lanc input which is really needed when zoomed that far. I have a Libec tripod handle mounted remote which is variable and works great on the G10 and G30.

I have scratched my head over the fast/slow motion feature however. I don't quite understand how to use it. I have a JVC which is super easy to capture timelapse stuff, so I am not freaking out over those features in the G30.

The focus/zoom ring is really stiff. Maybe it'll loosen up.

The new positions for the inputs/outputs are very much improved over the G10. I like that a lot.

The new hood with it's built in cap is nice.......when I remember to close it. That's the trouble with something manual.....you have to remember to do it. I imagine most times it will still be open when in my backpack because I forgot.

I am happy to have 60p in this camera, because before, I had to switch over to my Sony to capture fast moving subjects so that I could slow them down in post......for that slow motion effect. I could slow down the footage from the G10 in post, but being 60i it was limited in how slow.

Have left the ND filter selection on auto for now, so I don't yet have any useful info on it's contribution. I have extra ND filters and graduated ones which I can add to the lens when I need that function, but hopefully the built in one will help in depth of field situations.

The extra zoom range and fast lens really makes for good bokeh. I am please so far.

So far the added features are bringing me very close to having the one camera which meets 95 percent of my needs and saves me from switching out cameras on the tripod so much.
Tom Kilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 09:24 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi,

I'm evaluating this camera (and camparing with the pj780). As you tried to shot in night scenery?

regards

Ugo
Ugo Merlini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 11:40 AM   #9
New Boot

Ugo,
Haven't tried any night scene video with my G30 as of yet........the mosquitoes are so bad here in Florida, I must go inside when it gets past late afternoon. Lol.

I did try the night scene mode in a dark room, and the result was pretty smooth, not too noisy. The clip was a bit darker than the clip I did in the same room using the low light scene mode.

If you do some testing with night scene, it would be great to here how it compares with the Sony.
Tom Kilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2013, 04:52 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi

in the same time I found a video that compare the Canon HF G30 vs PJ780 vs Pana 929 on yuotube
origianal files can be downloaded from the of the author post

Which is the best camcorder in low light condition?

Ugo
Ugo Merlini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders