DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon Legria Creative mini X (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/521857-canon-legria-creative-mini-x.html)

Paul Inglis February 25th, 2014 09:32 AM

Canon Legria Creative mini X

After a protracted wait, my Canon Legria Creative mini X finally arrived this morning :) I’m hoping to put it through its paces over the next few days and upload a short to Vimeo. So far I’m really impressed with it.

Just unfortunate that I can’t get any extra batteries and an external charger for it yet!

Does anyone else have one of these cams?

http://mrpaulinglis.com/img/CanonminiX.jpg

Chris Hurd February 25th, 2014 09:36 AM

Re: Canon Legria Creative mini X

Saw this little cam up close and personal last month at CES. Pretty cool. There's supposed to be a WiFi-controllable pan & tilt base for it and other Vixia / Legria camcorders. It's the Canon CT-V1 Wireless Pan Cradle. Very interesting concept. Please be sure to post the URL for your Vimeo link when it's ready, Paul -- thanks in advance,

Don Palomaki February 25th, 2014 11:28 AM

How is the video compared to , say, the GoPro?

NB-12L battery (from Canon, also used in the PowerShot N cameras?)
CB-2LG charger (new from Canon)
$49 and $45 at B&H, charger not yet in stock.

I see some chargers listed on e-bay that claim to support the NB-12, if that is the same as the NB-12L>

Paul Inglis February 26th, 2014 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1833870)
Saw this little cam up close and personal last month at CES. Pretty cool. There's supposed to be a WiFi-controllable pan & tilt base for it and other Vixia / Legria camcorders. It's the Canon CT-V1 Wireless Pan Cradle. Very interesting concept. Please be sure to post the URL for your Vimeo link when it's ready, Paul -- thanks in advance,

I’ll post the link as soon as I've put something together Chris :)

I saw the CT-V1 Wireless Pan Cradle on Canon’s website but no dealers in the UK are listing them yet unfortunately. In a couple of months perhaps? The month of May seems to be floating around. Like you I think it’s a nifty concept :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki (Post 1833886)
How is the video compared to , say, the GoPro?

NB-12L battery (from Canon, also used in the PowerShot N cameras?)
CB-2LG charger (new from Canon)
$49 and $45 at B&H, charger not yet in stock.

I see some chargers listed on e-bay that claim to support the NB-12, if that is the same as the NB-12L>

Funny you should ask that Don. I compared it quickly with an original GoPro last night. The mini X doesn't have as severe barrel distortion as the GoPro. The most striking difference I noticed is how they handled the exposure in auto mode. The GoPro has a much brighter image whereas the mini X is exposing as the eye would see it. Pretty much like my XA20 from an initial test those two cameras seem to match very well.

I know it isn't a true or fair comparison but I'll try to included some footage from the GoPro (original) shot at the same time of the same scene in my footage test.

The mini X uses NB-12L Batteries which I understand aren't available until the beginning of May. A couple of Canons new P&S also use this new battery.

Kyle Root November 27th, 2014 01:39 PM

Canon VIXIA mini X HD Camcorder

Anything new on this? Did you get the comparison done and posted?

I just saw this on B&H, and for $339, it looks like an amazing alternative to the GoPro for wedding work.

Kyle Root December 10th, 2014 06:14 AM

These are on sale at BH today for $129 ($170 off).

I figure at that price I can get two for the price of one.

If I don't like them, I can sell them and not lose anything later at that price.

Don Palomaki December 10th, 2014 08:24 AM

It is the "VIXIA Mini," not the "VIXIA mini X" that is on sale. I believe that it is the earlier verion.