Canon's consumer HDV cam: iVIS HV10 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:36 AM   #16
Trustee

i believe a big issue would the crew looking at the director and asking him, where's the camera?

in this case... size will cause issues with the crew questioning how "professional" the director is =).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Essex
Alright, who wants to step up to the bar and be the first to make a feature film with one of these cameras?
Wouldn't it blow your mind if someone was able to make a good visual movie with one of these cameras?
Darrell
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES
Old August 2nd, 2006, 10:37 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Wow, Canon is down to only 5 SD MiniDV models. And three of those are ZRs!
Brian Andrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 11:06 AM   #18
Obstreperous Rex

Well, five single-CCD models (Optura 50, Elura 100 and three ZRs). They also have two three-CCD camcorders, the XL2 and GL2.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 12:22 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell Essex
Alright, who wants to step up to the bar and be the first to make a feature film with one of these cameras?
Wouldn't it blow your mind if someone was able to make a good visual movie with one of these cameras?
Darrell
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES
I'd be happy to if it had 24f, but it appears that it doesn't. Strange though... It has Digic DVII processor, Plays back 24f, but doesn't do 24f. I'd be cool if it did do 24f They could always rebadge it as "cinema mode" option. Probably just wishful thinking. That would make for an awesome little B-camera for an XL-H1 or any of the XH series.
Tony Tibbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 12:44 PM   #20
Major Player

Yes, yes...YES!!! As the z200 is to my XL2, so shall this little guy be to my soon to be had A1. Very excited.
Eric Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 12:45 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Only has USB2, but claims to support 1394 protocol for transferring video. Does this mean it comes with special software to emulate firewire?
Old August 2nd, 2006, 12:49 PM   #22
Trustee

i'm a bit confused on CMOS vs. CCD.

does 1 CMOS=3CCD's? or does it mean it's an equivalent? if so, why bother with 3 CMOS?
Old August 2nd, 2006, 12:50 PM   #23
Major Player

There's a FireWire 4 pinner on the front. The Canon site just has some confusing text.
Wes Vasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 12:50 PM   #24
Regular Crew

wrong, Chris Hurd explained - and showed pics - that the HV10 has both USB2 and Firewire 400 :
Visit http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=72816
Pierre Barberis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 01:06 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Holmes
I think it actually scales that down to 1440x1080 before writing to tape. HDV can't be recorded as 1920x1080.
knowing HDV, we'd assume that. except, no where on the Canon web site does it even reference 1440x1080 - it emphasizes full resolution ("The HV10's CMOS sensor reproduces high-resolution images at 1920 x 1080 resolution with full HD information in video images"). so, either the marketing info is inaccurate (and not entirely truthful), or they are writing 1920x1080 to tape - which, would be very nice indeed... :-)

hopefully canon will clarify or confirm
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 01:07 PM   #26
Major Player

I purchased a HDR-HC1 several months back because I was tired of waiting for Canon to offer a less expensive HDV camcorder. I was hoping that they would offer a single CMOS or CCD model like the Optura Xi but with HDV and 24f (or at least 30f). I think that those of us who own the HC1 can still be happy with our purchases. I'll just stick with the HC1 for now until they come out with something significantly better (in the same price range) or until I start making more money. :-)

As far as I can see, the new Canon HV10 does have some advantages over the Sony HDR-HC1:

- Optical image stabilization
- Instant AF system
- Noise reduction built into the CMOS chip
- Higher resolution LCD (210K pixel vs. 123K pixel)
- Adjustable zoom speed
- Composite video IN (actually not a big deal to me)
- RGB color and DIGIC DV II digital signal processor (Nobody does color as well as Canon --- my opinion)
*- Playback for 24F & 30F Frame Mode and four-channel audio (only great if you own a higher end Canon)
- It is a Canon! (in my opinion it is the better company)

But, I still see advantages of the Sony HDR-HC1 over the new Canon HV10:

- Form factor and weight (my opinion)
- Higher resolution viewfinder (252K pixel vs. 123K pixel)
- Shutter speeds (1/4-1/10,000 vs. 1/8-1/2000)
- Microphone jack
- Headphone jack
- Spot meter and Spot focus
- Focus/zoom ring
- Shoe (admittedly it requires an add-on to be a true cold-shoe)
- *Cinema effect (most might argue that this not an advantage and that it is crap, but at least it offers an option for a different shooting mode from 60i)
- Dual mode (does the HV10 offer a DV/HDV recording choice?)
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 01:12 PM   #27
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
does 1 CMOS=3CCD's?
It does if it has an RGB color filter (and yes the HV10 has an RGB color filter).

Any single-chip camcorder with an RGB color filter will come very close to the color accuracy of a 3CCD camcorder. In fact, it will beat a 3CCD if the processing is superior. For example, take the old 3CCD Canon GL1 and put it up against the recent 1CCD Canon Optura 600. The Optura will have better color reproduction than the GL1, because its RGB color filter puts it in the ballpark of the 3CCD look, and then its Digic DV processor gives it an advantage over the older processor in the GL1.

Color accuracy is not just in the image sensors but also their color filters *and* their DSPs (digital signal processors). See http://www.dvinfo.net/canonoptura/ar...ra70-2.php#rgb for some more details.

Remember also that your better digital still cameras (Canon, Nikon etc.) are all single-chip image sensors with RGB color filters. Think about how good those photos look and you get an idea of the advantages of single-chip video camcorders with RGB, like the HV10 and the Optura series.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 01:57 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Wow. I'm thinking this is really a trifecta by Canon.

I'm suitably impressed. Wonder if Panasonic is erasing their drawing board about now?

Go Canon. I'm definitely gonna get one of these as well...hmm, gonna have to do some saving for the A1 and this!!
Krystian Ramlogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:15 PM   #29
Trustee

thx chris. v. interesting technology =).
Old August 2nd, 2006, 02:19 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Do we know if the tape transport in the HV-10 is the same as in the XH A1 and XH G1?

Is the tape transport in the XH A1 and XH G1 the same as in the XL H1?

I find it amazing that we have all of these choices.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders