Canon HV series -- various sample clips - Page 19 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 22nd, 2007, 11:05 PM   #271
Tourist

oops put it in wrong section

sorry put it in the sample clips section meant for the main hv10/hv20 section
Tim Lam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 06:16 AM   #272
Major Player

This is a NEW video of the Squaw Village, shot just last week (I spent Thanksgiving there, so I shot the place once more).
http://www.vimeo.com/403396
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:54 AM   #273
Regular Crew

"Omaha" (v1.0) - First D.D.D in HD

Hello everyone! I'm kinda excited to finally being able to post an HD video. This one's the first one I've been able to edit (although I've shot some more material already).

I made it for my "Editing II" class (also known as "Montaje II" in Spanish... I don't agree with the term "Editing", but we can go further into that later... I'm in the 3rd year at the ISCAA, founded by Fernando Birri), and it's the first version, because there were a couple of things I wanted to do but wasn't able to due to time. I don't know yet whether it passed or not, but I like it nevertheless. Hope you do too.

http://stage6.com/user/dddproduccion...Noviembre-2007)

Any comments will be appreciated, and also feel free to ask me anything regarding production or anything you may want to ask. Thanks for watching!
Old December 3rd, 2007, 01:52 PM   #274
Major Player

Can you share what settings you used on this?

Did you used the cinemode in camera? or Shutter TV?
Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:29 PM   #275
Regular Crew

Hi, Tomas!
For this short I used Shutter priority mode, and used the trick of automatically exposing something a bit dark, then fixing the exposure and going back 12 levels to get to maximum aperture with 0dB gain (although on some shots, where there was more light, I used more closed f/stops).

Also, I set down contrast and detail.

I don't like the Cinemode. I can't bear the idea of not being able to control the shutter speed, and the gamma curve applied to the image can be noticed as software generated to me (which doesn't really improve the image...). The dynamic range offered by the camera is just right, if yoy ask me. And if you don't feel comfortable with it, instead of tricking with this limited cinegamma, just put on some lights! This is filmmaking, after all! :P
Old December 3rd, 2007, 05:19 PM   #276
Major Player

LOL, agree.

Thanks, pretty nice.
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:09 PM   #277
Tourist

Copying 24fps movies

I purchased a Canon HV20 and attempted to use it to copy some old 24fps 16mm films I had made. Even though the video was shot at 24fps there was noticeable strobing. I'm thinking that maybe the projector speed wasn't a steady 24fps. Any ideas?
Also, you can only shoot the video 16:9 HD at 24fps and the movies are 4:3 which does not translate well.
Bill Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #278
Inner Circle

Try adjusting the shutter speed until you minimize the strobing.
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:14 PM   #279
Regular Crew

The HV20 plays 24 frames per second in a 60i stream. You will have problems.
Todd Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:13 PM   #280
Regular Crew

The 60i stream doesn't mean any problems. It's just the medium in which REAL 24 frames per second are stored. You still have 24 frames, that's not a lie. It's just placed in a 60i stream because of format requirements. Just kill the pulldown and you're back in pure 24p.

Answering Bill, you just might have to shoot till you get lucky and the 24fps of the 16mm film to synchronize the HV20's 24fps. But anyways, lowering your shutter speed to 1/24 should get you much closer to recording your films just right (higher shutter speeds mean strobing; lower shutter speeds mean losing frames).

Regarding the aspect, just frame the projection in the middle. That's as good as it can get. But you're shooting HD after all, so the resolution should be pretty good. Besides, if you need to do an SD DVD you can always crop the 4:3 area to fill the screen and get the highest resolution possible, and if you're gonna watch this on an HD TV, then you have to leave the video as it was recorded, because those black bars on the sides are exactly how those TVs show the 4:3 material anyways if you don't want any deformation on the image (like stretching or croping of upper and lower areas of the original 4:3 film). Formats change, and this is a compromise you have to make.

So, bottom line is: shoot 16:9 HD framing the projection in the middle at 1/24 shutter speed, fixing the exposure at its best, after studying the film a bit. Then tell me how it went. ^_^

Regards!
Old December 6th, 2007, 06:35 AM   #281
Major Player

I need your votes guys. I have a video in the Final Round at AirshowBuzz.

First of all, I hope you don't mind Chris. I felt you guys would understand since we all share the same passion about creating videos here.

So here's the scoop...

All the footage was shot by me on my lowly, but little powerhouse Canon HV10 this summer.

I won the Semi-Final Round for the video category.

My video now has a 1 in 3 chance to win the Grand Prize and I need you all to help make that happen. Unfortunately, it comes down to popular vote so that means it’s still anyone’s to win. Kind of like American Idol, not necessarily the best will win, but rather the one with the most votes.

So anyway, here’s the link to the contest page. http://www.airshowbuzz.com/contest/view.php?entry=286 <<< all you have to do is click Vote Now.

My entry is the video titled “The Dream of Flight…”. You do not have to register or give any info at all. Just click the vote button (and of course watch the video if you haven’t already).
It’s very important to not only vote but forward this to as many people as possible. The one with the most votes wins. Voting ends soon so please vote and forward this today!

Thanks to all of you for helping me get this far.
Brad

My hopes would be to win the contest so I can afford to get some new gear and a new HD Camera. Possibly the Canon A1 or Sony EX1.

PS. If you have a myspace/facebook account…run a bulletin too. I can use all the help I can get!

O yeah, I forgot. Since I won the semi-final round, I won a brand new HV20 already!!!
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 09:26 AM   #282
Obstreperous Rex

Moved to HV10 / HV20 Sample Clips.

My problem with contests like this is the clause "the one with the most votes wins." Because then it's not about talent but popularity (sort of like American Idol). It's more about how many votes you can get than it is about the actual video. It's no longer a question of how good the video is; instead it's just a matter of how many votes you can bring in... it's all about leveraging sympathetic resources such as family, friends, fellow online community members, etc. to come in and vote for you. The problem with this process is that popularity does not always equivocate with what's really best. Or to put it a different way, what wins these kinds of contests is not how good your video is, but rather how good you are at bringing in people to vote for you. Winning doesn't reward you for your video so much as it rewards you for the number of people you've brought to that site.

That said, best of luck to you Brad, but this will most likely be one of the very last of these kinds of threads ever to be posted to DV Info Net.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 01:33 PM   #283
Tourist

copying 24fps movie to video

My projector only has 2 speeds, 16fps(silent) and 24fps (sound). The strobing is not overpowering, but is noticeable.
I was able to eliminate the side bars going from 16:9 to 4:3 by stretching the image in Premiere to fill the 16:9 screen. I downloaded it to the web using 4:3. The results can be seen at
http://www.revver.com/video/498232/t...kal-guatemala/
Not perfect, but a cheap solution.
Bill Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #284
Tourist

Beautiful. A work of art.
Jim Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 05:48 AM   #285
Regular Crew

Very nice. Better than the feature that I just spent two years of my life on.

Was it shot with Progressive scan, or interlaced?

Thanks,

Tom Chaney

www.tomchaney.com
Tom Chaney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders