Canon HV series -- various sample clips - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 5th, 2007, 11:50 AM   #91
Major Player

It was an "export movie" from Premiere Pro 1.5.
Cineform HDV
Old April 7th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #92
Regular Crew

Some sample HV20 Frame Grabs

I'm still working on familiarizing myself with the new HV20, but saw some other folks putting up some frame grabs and figured I'd join in the fun.

There is one for a soccer ball on there which I liked. No, not going to win any awards for it, but I think it does a good job of showing off the color capabilities. That was shot in full auto, zoomed in abou 8x or so from about 10 feet. Very accurate colors for sure.

http://www.szudzik.net/caps/HV20/

The one of my dog was taken inside under very low light (60 watt bulb). The rest pretty much taken outside in "Portrait" mode under very cloudy skies.

--Steve
Steve Szudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 08:52 PM   #93
Major Player

Thanks Steve always good to see more samples!
Old April 7th, 2007, 09:21 PM   #94
Major Player

Haha filming paintball sucks...

http://www.lousyheros.com/nwps3.wmv

Was a cool angle though, this was a tie-breaker 1 on 1

Camera only got hit once, I got hit... a lot...

got 3-4 more videos to work with... lots of footage...

Relevance being that this was a Canon HV10... maybe the size of the camera helped avoid getting hit...
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2007, 11:25 PM   #95
Major Player

Good stuff! Hard to believe your camera made it through everything being as you were directly in the line of fire for a lot of that exchange. How did it handle being hit the one time?
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #96
Major Player

Oh just fine, it's been hit multiple times w/o issue... paintballs leave the gun at 280-300 fps (roughly 200 mph) but slow down very fast... as you can only get 125-140 ft out of a level shot. Either way as you can see in the video, they're going pretty fast ;)

Only problem I had w/ the camera all day was my cheapo $8 ebay battery decided not to work properly, the copper connectors got pushed in somehow and so it wouldn't make a solid connection, I popped in my $40 Impact battery and it was flawless... yet my other Ebay battery was great before that...

Oh well :)
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 02:32 AM   #97
Inner Circle

Cool footage, those incoming rounds almost look "3-D" here - made me want to jump outta da way!

DB>)
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 04:12 AM   #98
Major Player

Thanks Steve - great stuff

Were these frame grabs from 60i or 24p?
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 09:41 AM   #99
Regular Crew

These were from 60i. I have done a few small clips with 24p, but haven't gone through removing the pull down yet. Ok, honestly I haven't stopped to figure out what I need to do for that yet. I have Vegas setup to automatically remove pulldown (in the preferences checkbox list), but had not noticed any major differences.

I had done a few small 24p clips ealier and had a lot of jitter when panning. Somebody in the forum had said that the panning rate has to be significantly slower when shooting 24p. So I tried that and indeed had much better success. I was probably moving much slower during the pan than I had to but it came out very well.

--Steve
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #100
Major Player

That was some cool footage! I have seen the damage that paintball can do to people -- ouch!

I liked the angle alot. It was cool being able to see the balls fly everywhere.
~Gabriel
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #101
Major Player

Cheers Steve

By the way it is possible to watch 24p on the fly if you use a PC using Media Player Classic, Dscaler 5 and the IVTC mod - then you get true 1080-24p (and it looks much better if your monitor is capable of 72hz for no judder)
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:33 AM   #102
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info Fergus, I'll have to give that a try.

I'm hoping that we'll get some good weather for next weekend and I'll be able to head up to Mt Vernon, WA for the tulip festival. I think that would be a great place to get some footage. Tons of colors, mountain backdrops. Should really be able to show off what the camera can do. Then I can post some actual footage, not just a few frame grabs.

Here are a few shots I took with my Canon 20D last year from the festival. You can see why it would be great with a HD cam!

http://www.szudzik.net/Gallery/Galle...ery=2006/April

Steve
Old April 13th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #103
Regular Crew

HV20 and some T-Ball

Here's a short clip (about 10 seconds) of my youngest getting his first "professional" hit during tonights T-Ball game. Was shot using regular HDV (no 24p yet) "sports" mode, exposure set at zero. Haven't done any color correction yet. Looks ok, maybe a bit dark on the computer. Reds need to be toned down for the TV though, very bright.

Rendered as WMV with standard 10% compression, interpolated fields..

http://rapidshare.com/files/25886948/Thomas.wmv

Still learning a ton about all of this stuff and appreciate all the great information found on this forum.

--Steve
Old April 13th, 2007, 11:53 PM   #104
Regular Crew

Hey, that was very cute, and the picture looked great! Cute kid gets first hit, you'll be really happy to have that footage; him, too!

It sounded good, too. What was your audio setup?

best,
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #105
Major Player

Looked good and the colors were very contrasty

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders