Canon HV series -- various sample clips - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 14th, 2007, 12:44 PM   #106
Regular Crew

Thanks Elmer and Joey. I'm still getting used to shooting video, been doing stills for so long, I'm used to setting up for one shot, not re-adjusting on the fly as the lighting is changing. Still a lot to get used to. My old cam I would just set on auto, but this one offers so many options, I just can't help myself and keep fiddling with them.

Elmer, for the audio, I have the Canon DM-50 mounted and was shooting in shotgun mode. So far that has done a really good job with this camera. I haven't tried shooting with the 2 stereo modes yet.

We had another game today, so I shot about an hour and 10 minutes with the BPL14 battery and did about ~35 minutes of capture. That left the battery with about 10% charge left. Not too bad I suppose.

Steve
Steve Szudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 01:20 PM   #107
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info, Steve.

I take it those modes, shotgun and stereo, are modes on the DM-50. I didn't know it had that flexibility. I also really like that it's not so big.

best,
elmer
Elmer Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #108
Regular Crew

Yes, the DM-50 has three audio modes. Per the manual:

1- Shotgun: Clearly picks up sound arriving from the front of the microphone (monaural).
2- Stereo 1: Picks up sound arriving from the front of, as well as sound surrounding the microphone.
3- Stereo 2: Picks up sound surrounding the microphone in a wider range than Stereo 1.

I've been using shotgun at the games to try to reduce the "crowd noise" and pickup more from each of the kids, or the ball being hit. We're all packed pretty closely together there, so it still picks up a fair amount of the folks around me though. For a reasonably inexpensive mic, it does a good job.

Steve
Steve Szudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #109
Regular Crew

HV20 footage depository

Due to a slow certification process for this forum, my buddy Keegan asked that I direct your eyeballs to his growing collection of HV20 material at:

http://zaps21.com/HV20/video_clips/

Of particular note is his recent Redsox footage and pigeon01.

All clips are encoded as H.264, using a Mac, and are fully compatible with both Windows and Mac versions of Apple's QuickTime Player.
Ian Albinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 03:14 PM   #110
New Boot

Most awesome! Buzz is getting his game on. :)

Very nice footage... very nice. Thanks for sharing and thanks to Keegan for posting the footage.
Robert Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 04:34 PM   #111
Regular Crew

Cool footage. I like the scene mode comparisons. It custom color settings look so much better than the cine mode on my display. Did you notice the clips getting washed out in color when you compressed to quicktime?

Jay
Old April 17th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #112
Regular Crew

Awesome footage. Now I'm going to finish watching all of it.
Ben Troxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #113
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Stebbins View Post
Did you notice the clips getting washed out in color when you compressed to quicktime?Jay
The washed out look you speak of is actually a bug in the way QuickTime player uses Core Video to display the H.264. I hoping this will be fixed in Leopard as it's VERY annoying.

One solution I've found, and it's what I'm using for my HV20 footage (coming soon!) is to use Visual Hub (http://www.techspansion.com/visualhub/) for the compression. This uses ffmpeg to encode the H.264, and it does not suffer from the washed out look.
Ian Albinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #114
Major Player

25p Cine Mode Sharpening test + comparison with auto for sharpness and exposure

Hi All

thought I would share some recent tests results with you regarding sharpening cine mode in post.

I took some 25p cine mode footage and brought it into Vegas. Then using sharpen I applied both medium and strong amounts and rendered seperately. This I then compared with the same scene in fully auto (still 25p).

My conclusion is that cine footage looks better with a medium amount of sharpening but with the strong preset its too much. Medium looks as sharp as the normal 25p footage without the cine mode on.

Also its amazing how much more is lost in auto mode. The branches of the trees in the top middle of the picture cannot be seen properly in auto and the tv aerial on the top left is completely gone!!

Here is the original cine scene:

With medium sharpen:

With strong sharpen:

Auto for comparison:

Last edited by Fergus Anderson; April 26th, 2007 at 12:21 PM.
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:26 PM   #115
Major Player

I own an HV20 and have yet to play with the manual sharpen feature - I can capture uncompressed via component, so when I *do* try this, I'll keep a close eye on the results (and post? ;) )

Auto looks horrible! It makes me think: was the focus on manual or auto? Did the focus change at any time? Auto looks nothing like Cine with the sharpen on normal.

The question is: should we HV20 owners be shooting with Cine all the time?
Old April 26th, 2007, 01:56 PM   #116
Regular Crew

Very Interesting! Going to do some of my own testing.
Tim Homola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:45 PM   #117
Major Player

In fairness I might not have chosen the best frame grabs - especially the auto shot (in terms of sharpness) but the blown highlights are an issue full stop. I think cine just provides more latitude and is a good starting point.
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #118
Regular Crew

Yet more HV20 NYC footage

http://www.savefile.com/files/678224

720p, 58mb, 2:49. A little more compressed than is the norm around here, but it looks pretty good once you get past the complicated, choppy waters of Central Park.

I'm really impressed with this camera. I've been shooting entirely on Auto in 24p, and everything comes out fantastic (aside from a few shades of red I have mentioned). Also impressive to me is the image stabilization; I'm a very shaky shooter (can't take a 1/2 second still photo to save my life), but I'm able to get some very steady handheld shots, even at max zoom (see the boaters in the video).

Anyway, enjoy!
Hal Snook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #119
Regular Crew

More HV20 Footage...

I did not shoot this. Link was posted on the IMUG list.

http://web.mac.com/chupap/iWeb/Films/Boom.html

Besides being shot on the HV20, it's pretty cool.
Paul Chiappini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #120
Regular Crew

... Just... why?
Ben Troxell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders