DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV10 footage converted to 24p! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/74806-hv10-footage-converted-24p.html)

Peter Macletis September 4th, 2006 04:37 AM

HV10 footage converted to 24p!

As an experiment, I quickly converted one of the HV10's m2t sample video files linked from Robert Batta's thread via TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress at 29.97.fps and deinterlace to a DIVX avi, and surprisingly came up with video that looked like shot Frame Mode... I have no clue what happened! Based on the result, I then did the same, but converting the video to 24p (I did it quickly with none of the many available settings optimized or tweaked for the 24p conversion mode) and again, came out with a very interesting result... With this fine tuned, maybe it is possible to actually get converted footage from the HV10 at 24fps to look more "film-like" than I ever thought possible...

Tomorrow I will play in-depth with many of the conversion and deinterlacing options available on TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress to see what fine-tuned results can look like, but for now, here's what I got:

http://216.127.51.88/_downloads/HV10-24fps.zip

Looking forward to your thoughts...

Tony Tibbetts September 4th, 2006 11:52 AM

Doesn't look too bad. Noticed some odd stutter on some of the framing adjustments, but nothing terrible. I'm gonna download some of those clips and try some deinterlacing of my own.

Peter Macletis September 4th, 2006 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Tibbetts
Doesn't look too bad. Noticed some odd stutter on some of the framing adjustments, but nothing terrible. I'm gonna download some of those clips and try some deinterlacing of my own.

Awesome. Looking forward to hera about your results Tony!

Tony Tibbetts September 4th, 2006 05:08 PM

Hi Peter,

Any chance you could do the same process on the HV10-06 clip? That's the clip I'm working on and the 24p is nice, but there is slight ghosting. I'm working on a mac, so I'd like to see how this clip looks with your process.

Peter Macletis September 4th, 2006 06:55 PM

Quote:

Hi Peter,

Any chance you could do the same process on the HV10-06 clip? That's the clip I'm working on and the 24p is nice, but there is slight ghosting. I'm working on a mac, so I'd like to see how this clip looks with your process.

Tony, download from here several of the clips properly converted. Stunning results.

Tony Tibbetts September 4th, 2006 07:52 PM

Hi Peter,

The funny thing is, I took one of the .m2t files and ran it through TMPGENC 3.0 Xpress with the deinterlace setting at "24fps (Interlace prior)", exported it to DV and it looked really decent. Little to no ghosting and the stutter was minimal, and it was fast. I wonder what tmpgenc is doing?

I'm downloading your clips right now to take a look at them.

Tony Tibbetts September 4th, 2006 08:14 PM

Okay, I'm no video conversion expert, but this is a bit perplexing. Usually when you do a 60i to 24p conversion you get ghosting and/or strange frame rate stutter and I'm not seeing much of either. While the footage doesn't scream 24p per se, there's no getting around it that it is that frame rate. It does look very filmic.

However all common sense tells me it's that it shouldn't be that easy. I'm baffled

Peter Macletis September 4th, 2006 08:44 PM

I have used TMPGENC 2.5 for years as my app of choice to convert files to MPEG-2 for DVD mastering. These guys, know their stuff. I've tried all types of other software and hardware conversion systems out there at extreme price-points and nothing ever comes close to TMPGENC 2.5. It takes a while to master the program and learn what it can do and all settings but once you've got that down it generates MPEG-2 video files of the most pristine highest quality,

They are using all their knowledge on their TMPGENC Xpress suite. I have no clue how they do it, and how. What I do know is that these guys are expert programmers and their code is fantastic. On the 24F conversion of the HV10's m2t footage, I know there is a log going on because it takes a L O N G time, and that is with all multithreading settings on and a fast processor, so, I know there is a lot of calculations going on.

Bottom line is that the footage looks stunning, albeit the very long time it takes to convert. Also, try playing it contour and noise correction filters (directly imported from TMPGENC 2.5). These are "THE" best sharpening and NR filters of the many I have tried and can make your video look cleaner and more prestine that ever (it also adds an extra long time for the conversion process).

All can say is that the folks at PegaSys know what they are doing... whatever is it that they do...

Tony Tibbetts September 4th, 2006 09:10 PM

What are you exporting it to from TMPGENC?

Peter Macletis September 4th, 2006 10:04 PM

Quote:

What are you exporting it to from TMPGENC?

WMV-HD. Its the format I get best results form.

Jung Kyu September 6th, 2006 12:16 AM

to create 60i to 24p make sure your camera shutter speed is 60.
i think this shot was on auto.

Jung Kyu September 6th, 2006 08:34 AM

kodak 500t filmlook
shot on hc1

http://www.dvuser.co.kr/zboard/data/...omp_333333.wmv

Peter Macletis September 6th, 2006 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jung Kyu

Link is incorrect.

Cody Lucido September 17th, 2006 10:12 AM

Am I doing something wrong?

Every single link on this thread gives me an error page... Weird.

I would like to see these tests. Can anybody point me to a stable link?

Thanks.

Zack Birlew September 17th, 2006 10:30 AM

Same here Cody.