DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV10 "in stock"? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/75315-hv10-stock.html)

Thorsten Poeppel September 12th, 2006 07:21 AM

HV10 "in stock"?

Amazon claims to have them in stock, selling at $1249. Did anyone preorder from them? I'd imagine their units would start shipping now?

I'm pretty set on getting one, and soon, but I'm still gonna wait for the first few reviews to pop up before I make my move.

Lee Wilson September 12th, 2006 05:46 PM

I looked but could not find anything ?

Were the ones you saw PAL or NTSC ?

Bill Taka September 12th, 2006 06:28 PM

The HV10 is also in stock at BH Photo.

Quinn OConnell September 13th, 2006 02:52 AM

UK In stock??

Anyone know of dates or links to dealers who will be stocking the HV10?

Kevin Haupt September 13th, 2006 10:21 AM

B&H sent me an email that they have them in stock(+)

that was about 3 hours ago. There is also a rebate available from B&H, I quicklly openned the rebate pdf and it was for some free Pinnacle Studio PlusSoftware. (I just checked and the HV10 is still in stock.)

Lee Wilson September 14th, 2006 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quinn OConnell
Anyone know of dates or links to dealers who will be stocking the HV10?

Yep! here too, if anyone knows of any UK dealers who have got the HV10 it would be great to know.

Chris Hurd September 14th, 2006 07:02 AM

DV Info Net is pointing all UK inquiries to Production Gear in Hertfordshire:

http://www.productiongear.co.uk/

And as a reminder, as a matter of policy and fairness to the those who make this community possible, the only dealers we discuss around here are our official site sponsors. See www.dvinfo.net/sponsors for some trustworthy Canon dealers. Thanks in advance,

Thorsten Poeppel September 14th, 2006 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
And as a reminder, as a matter of policy and fairness to the those who make this community possible, the only dealers we discuss around here are our official site sponsors.

With all due respect, Chris, this is a policy that I cannot agree with.

I understand the importance of these sponsors, and I think it's great that you do your part to support the dealers you find trustworthy. But I think that prohibiting (and censoring) discussions about other vendors goes too far. If someone finds an awesome deal (like $1049 for the HV10), I think he/she should be able to post it for the benefit of all other members who are in the market. If this deal does not come from a reputable or trustworthy dealer, other people (like yourself) can always chime in and state their opinions and experiences with said dealer. But it should remain the members' decision where they want to take their business, and they should be able to evaluate all their options and make a choice. Making recommendations to help them decide should be as far as it goes. That, in my opinion, would be fair to the vendors AND to the board members, who might otherwise be missing out on a great deal.

But hey, your house - your rules! Just giving you some feedback.

Cheers,

Thorsten

Chris Hurd September 14th, 2006 08:15 AM

Hi Thorsten,

One time somebody asked me, does this site exist to benefit the sponsors or the members? And I answered, both, because it can't work without both. If I had a lot of personal wealth, then there wouldn't be a need for sponsors at all. But the fact is that I can't operate this site without them. There's an incredible amount of time and money that goes into this thing. I couldn't afford to do it without the dealers who support me.

In fairness to them, I grant them full exclusivity here on the boards. That exclusivity is crucial. Since the very first day this thing started, the "where to buy" question has always been the single most important issue anyone could discuss here. Having our trusted site sponsors, and granting them that exclusivity, pre-empts that entire issue. Basically we've already answered the most difficult question... where should I buy this camera? Right here. Now we've got that out of the way and we can move on to technical and creative matters.

Of course it is always the members' decision where they want to take their business, and I fully support and encourage that, even if it means a dealer who is not a DV Info Net sponsor. But you know what, there is an entire internet for that. The web is huge, and nobody is "locked in" here. There are a wide variety of other message boards that cover the same things we do, and you can find those great deals all over the web. You have to look at the big picture... DV Info Net is just one small destination on the web. Okay so there's a "no smoking" sign in here. But I'm not stopping anyone from smoking... just step outside our front door, where you can smoke all you want.

My policy of granting exclusivity to my sponsors is not censorship, it's freedom of speech (specifically, my freedom of speech, my own choice to run this site as I see fit). I can appreciate the opinions of those who don't agree with the policy, but I can assure you with a smile that it's not going to change. At the same time, let me be the first to say, there are other sites you can go to that don't have such a policy, or better yet, why not exercise your own freedom of speech and start your own blog/forum/site/whatever and run it the way you want to... after all that's what I did.