Camcorderinfo.com Review Out at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 19th, 2006, 05:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Camcorderinfo.com Review Out

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...der-Review.htm

Bottom line:

- Overall better than the Sonys HDR-HC1 & HC3
- Under well lit scenarios image quality almost just as good as the XL H1
- Scarily bad low-light performance
- Really bad audio performance
- Limited dynamic range because of just one imaging device (vs. 3CCD designs)
- ...and, of course positively no control over almost anything

Basically, just a great point & shoot! No more, no less.
Peter Macletis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #2
Regular Crew

" Basically, just a great point & shoot! No more, no less. " -

True. I got mine today. I'm going to watch some footage on my projector tonite. For the kind of stuff I shoot ( hanging on the side of big walls ) this cam is about perfect!!
Craig Peer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 06:58 PM   #3
Major Player

You really pay for that image detail in poor low light. That's too bad. I'm curious of the difference between the dynamic range of the Canon and Sony consumer HDV camcorders.
Wes Vasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:01 PM   #4
Major Player

I'm wondering why the reviewer didn't talk about one of the key benefits to this camera. An affordable Canon codec 24f/30f plus 4 channel audio deck for owners of Canon H1s, A1s and G1s.
Cody Lucido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:07 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Macletis
Bottom line: Overall better than the Sonys HDR-HC1 & HC3
Under the Comparison section of the review:

"If you just look at the HC3 and the HV10 in a context of point and shoot users, we’re going to have to pick the Sony by a slight edge. At the end of the day, Sony is easier to use, and is going to be better at shooting video in a variety (read: low light) of conditions. However, if you are a point and shoot user who wants portability the HV10 is a much better choice. "

HC1: "This is the only comparison that is easy here. While the video performance in full light of the HV10 beats out the HC1 slightly, in all the other categories of control and external options we like the HC1."
John McManimie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:13 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Thanks John... I was just about to point that out myself.

Bottom line: it's easy to quote things out of context in order to support whatever position you favor.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2006, 08:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Thanks John... I was just about to point that out myself.

Bottom line: it's easy to quote things out of context in order to support whatever position you favor.
Just wanted to make it clear I really do not support Canon or Sony nor one specific view or the other. The bottom line is that it seems clear that under good lighting conditions the HV10 has an edge over the Sonys while overall, these may have better usability. Like I said, the HV10 is a great point and shoot. No more, no less and surely has its many virtues as well as some flaws.
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:29 PM   #8
Trustee

As somebody who owns a HC1 I can tell you that in good light the HV10 has a lot more than a slight edge in terms of quality. What what I have seen the HV10 blows away the HC1 with no problem at all.

I have no opinion on low light but one point I do have to stress if for you people to please use a darn light when you shoot with these little cameras. I do not care if you are using a 2/3" camera, you still need light for a decent picture. While the HC3 may have a slight edge in low light I would never think of using it like that without a light. The Canon may not be as sensitive but I think that has to do with wanting overall higher quality.

As somebody who owns a SONY and does not own a Canon clearly I am not biased.

The other thing I love about that article is how they mentioned that DV was 4:2:2. These articles are getting very sloppy with the facts.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 01:49 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Right on Thomas, good points! Thanks for the feedback :)
Old September 20th, 2006, 01:49 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet
The other thing I love about that article is how they mentioned that DV was 4:2:2. These articles are getting very sloppy with the facts.
An HDV MPEG stream's 4:2:0 color space contains two times the information than a DV 4:1:1 or 4:2:0 stream. So HDV has more than enough information to create a 4:2:2 color space for DV.

So maybe he is confusing this ability of HDV to generate 4:2:2 with plain-old-not-converted-from-HDV-DV ??

Last edited by Lee Wilson; September 20th, 2006 at 03:35 AM.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2006, 10:10 PM   #11
Regular Crew

How unbelievably disappointing... bah-humbug.

With crappy audio, what's the point of great video?

I think both Canon and Sony have lobotomized their low end HD cams.

No thanks Canon and Sony
JohnG
Old September 20th, 2006, 10:29 PM   #12
Wrangler

John, sounds like you're more in the market for a professional camera. These are consumer cameras at a consumer price point. You'll pay a lot more to get XLR, custom image controls, and other advanced features. Nothing unusual about that; standard product line structuring for all kinds of things. Choose the camera that best suits your needs rather than bah-humbugging those that don't.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 09:20 AM   #13
Major Player

Right Pete, This is not a pro cam, and yet I am looking forward to it's pro applications. As a deck, and to be the cam used to be put in harms way,
Under water (where sound is not important), on a helmet, behind a waterfall, rafting, etc.
Different tools for different applications.
Of course it would be nice to have a $1,200, cam that did everything, for that matter, I wish the A1 did over/under cranking
Chris
Chris Korrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 11:01 AM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Godden
How unbelievably disappointing... bah-humbug.

With crappy audio, what's the point of great video?

I think both Canon and Sony have lobotomized their low end HD cams.

No thanks Canon and Sony
JohnG
The audio is just as good as any other tiny handheld consumer camera. I suggest if you want high end features you pull out your wallet, dust off the cobwebs and buy a professional camera.

The fact is that most consumers will never in their entire lives owning this camera have a need to hook up a microphone or even listen with headphones. They bring it to their son's baseball game record that game and go home a watch the video. I bought a HC1 for our 5 week vacation in South Afrcia. It has a mic jack and headphone jack but guess what. In the 5 weeks that we were in South Africa and 1 week in London I never had any desire at all to hook up a mic or use headphones.

I shot 6 hours worth of HDV while on vacation and I couldn't be happier having HD footage of my vacation.

You people are really making too big of a deal about these cameras. You think just because it is HDV that it should have all of the great features of any high level HDV camera. The fact that a camera is DV or HDV or digital 8 or S-VHS doesn't mean squat in terms of what it can do. This is a consumer camera made for point and shoot and thats it, end of story. If you want to use a consumer camera for professional use well then thats your problem. That isn't the fault of Canon, SONY or anybody else.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2006, 11:22 AM   #15
Regular Crew

I agree. I'll have more to say about my HV10 after I shoot some test video in Yosemite this weekend. For action sports like rock climbing, this thing can't be beat. The only audio I need from the HV10 is ambient sound and the camera person's narration. I will velcro a patch of acoustical fur over the built in mic to improve sound and cut wind noise and call it good.

I just sold my 2 year old GL2 that only had about 10 hours on the heads because I need something small like this. It is what it is. Much as I'd love all the manual controls and jacks, I'd like to see you guys shoot video while leading A4 on the side of El Capitan with a GL2 sized cam strapped to your harness. That's where my HV10 is going - and it's going to be revolutionary as far as I'm concerned!!
Craig Peer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders