Wide angle adapter HV10 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old October 30th, 2006, 02:12 PM   #16
Tourist

Thanks for the pics. My biggest concern is the level of image fidelity is lessened by the use of the adapter. It's a bit hard to tell in the stills, but the movie clip does show some softening and "separating" of the image. Personally, I'd be interested in a higher grade of lens. Currently I'm considering the Century Optics/Schneider line found here:

http://www.schneideroptics.com/ecomm....aspx?CID=1069

I've been disappointed with cheap wide adapters in the past. My goal is to find the best quality adapter possible to maintain as much image quality as possible.
Michael John Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 05:20 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael John Mills
... It's a bit hard to tell in the stills, but the movie clip does show some softening and "separating" of the image ...
Not to mention the barrel distortion. But that's to be expected, I guess...
Even Solberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 05:54 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Wide angle lens on HV10

I use a Raynox HD-6600PRO49 49mm (Wide angle lens) with my Canon HV10, and it works flawlessly! No vignetting; no barrel distortion. I originally bought this WA lens for use with my Panasonic GS250 --- which likewise, produces excellent results with WA attached.

VM/HDG
Hawood Giles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 08:00 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawood Giles
I use a Raynox HD-6600PRO49 49mm (Wide angle lens) with my Canon HV10, and it works flawlessly! No vignetting; no barrel distortion. I originally bought this WA lens for use with my Panasonic GS250 --- which likewise, produces excellent results with WA attached.

VM/HDG

Do you have any footage or stills you can post ?

Cheers

Lee
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 09:02 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Wide angle footage

Lee;

About an hour before you requested footage/stills taken with my Raynox WA lens, I deleted raw capture files, which I had filmed of Amish country locally. I capture, edit, author and burn in HD format (1440x1080), which results in humongous raw files on the computer. Once I output to DVD (HD-DVD spec), and backup the DVD Folder to external Hard Drive, I immediately delete RAW source files, in order to make room for subsequently-filmed HDV content.

I may have a still photo, or two from the Amish Country shoot, but --- I'm not sure which ones were taken with WA lens attached.

As for video samples, I don't know of a way to edit/convert/reduce an .EVO file, which is the file format of my Amish Country, HD-DVD Folder content??? Presently, this is the only WA footage that I have.

With my Raynox WA being .66x, as opposed to .50x of your Raynox WA, I assume this difference accounts for why no vignetting and/or barrel distortion when attached to my HV10??? I should clarify that when used on my Panasonic GS250 (43mm to 49mm step-up ring) minimal vignetting occurred, due to its being THICKER than the smaller step-up ring (37mm to 49mm) used with my Canon HV10. That said, the "vignetting" with the GS250 at full WIDE position was barely visible in 16x9 clips played on the computer; but ... totally not present when those clips are edited to standard DVD.

With the weather being bleak here locally, I don't plan on doing any outdoor filming, until the weather breaks. If you still wish me to snap some indoor stills with the Raynox HD-6600PRO49 mounted to my HV10, I'll try and attach a sample, or two ... as time permits.

VM/HDG
Old November 2nd, 2006, 06:53 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
With my Raynox WA being .66x, as opposed to .50x of your Raynox WA, I assume this difference accounts for why no vignetting and/or barrel distortion when attached to my HV10??? I should clarify that when used on my Panasonic GS250 (43mm to 49mm step-up ring) minimal vignetting occurred, due to its being THICKER than the smaller step-up ring (37mm to 49mm) used with my Canon HV10. That said, the "vignetting" with the GS250 at full WIDE position was barely visible in 16x9 clips played on the computer; but ... totally not present when those clips are edited to standard DVD.
I got vignetting in the corners with the HD5050 Pro when I left the step-up ring in place, bizarrely it was 37mm to 37mm (??) so removing it made no difference with regard to attachment - but it did bring the lens 2 or 3 mm closer to the camera giving me a vignette free image.

Quote:
With the weather being bleak here locally, I don't plan on doing any outdoor filming, until the weather breaks. If you still wish me to snap some indoor stills with the Raynox HD-6600PRO49 mounted to my HV10, I'll try and attach a sample, or two ... as time permits.

VM/HDG
Anything would be great !

Lee.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 11:56 AM   #22
Regular Crew

HV10 and Raynox HD-6600PRO49 49mm (Wide angle lens)

Lee Wilson;

I attach two pair of still images taken today, taken with and without Raynox HD-6600Pro (49mm) wide angle lens. Like I said, I see no barrel distortion, nor vignetting with this WA lens.

See attached, and I welcome your remarks,

VM/HDG
Attached Thumbnails
Wide angle adapter HV10-df_with-wa-plant.jpg   Wide angle adapter HV10-df_without-wa-plant.jpg  

Wide angle adapter HV10-df_zoomed-wa.jpg   Wide angle adapter HV10-df_zoomed-without-wa.jpg  

Old November 3rd, 2006, 12:13 AM   #23
Regular Crew

I plan on purchasing the HV10 in the next month. Reading this thread caught my interest as I do have the Sony VCL-HG0737Y wideangle 37mm lens. The front of the lens is 77mm. Anyone know if this will work with the HV10 or is this just getting too large?
John K. Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 02:21 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Hawood: That telephone pole in front of the red container there looks a bit bent to me. Checking it in Photoshop reveals the same thing. It's not bad, though, and not noticeable if you're not specifically looking for it.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 04:44 AM   #25
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Even Solberg
Hawood: That telephone pole in front of the red container there looks a bit bent to me. Checking it in Photoshop reveals the same thing. It's not bad, though, and not noticeable if you're not specifically looking for it.
I think the telephone pole is bent. The one further to the right appears to be straight. The further away from center, the more bend it should have, so not sure. It looks like a harder picture to compare than Lee's using the corners of the room.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 11:03 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Your eyes do not deceive you ...

George and Even;

Guess what? I viewed the original WA shots in which the "bent telephone pole" is included, and ... indeed you're right, the specified telephone pole in the original likewise, appears to be slightly bent inward. I'm speaking of the telephone pole with a yellow rectangle sign which reads "Stop Ahead". The yellow sign isn't readable in the reduced-in-size posted photo, but it's clearly readable in the full-sized original.

Okay, so what to make of the apparent bent telephone pole? Well, I took it upon myself to go out into the cold, sunny morning here, and see for myself whether the pole in the photo in fact is bent, or straight. Without a doubt the actual pole in question is bent to the left, as seen in the small sample photo I posted. Interestingly, most of the telephone poles in the posted scene were newly installed about a year ago. I noticed at the time that the newer poles were thinner than the originals being replaced; and that they tended to sway with the wind. Not sure why more flexible wooden poles were used to replace the originals?

If you compare the WA shot with the "Without WA" shot, I think you will notice the same inward bend that confirms my on-site observation.

Note: I originally intended to post comparative, indoor samples (WA vs. non-WA) which clearly show no barrel distortion, or vignetting. However, I encountered a problem in which the flash favored the left side of the scene, while causing the right side of the photograph to be grainy. RE: the large WA lens interferes with the flash, which is mounted left of the WA lens.

Okay, so after a bit of experimentation, I managed to snap an indoor WA sample, in which the flash is not obstructed by the WA lens.

See attachment ...

VM/HDG
Attached Thumbnails
Wide angle adapter HV10-indoor-scene-wa.jpg  
Old November 3rd, 2006, 12:39 PM   #27
Tourist

sony lens on hv10

Quote:
Originally Posted by John K. Anderson
I plan on purchasing the HV10 in the next month. Reading this thread caught my interest as I do have the Sony VCL-HG0737Y wideangle 37mm lens. The front of the lens is 77mm. Anyone know if this will work with the HV10 or is this just getting too large?
I own the same lens.

As a test, I took my Sony lens into a camera seller and popped in on a display HV10 a few weeks ago. I don't recall any vignetting or barrel distortion. As for disrupting automatic sensors, etc. I didn't have time to do a full range of tests. My most immediate observation was that it didn't make a very wide-angle image. At its widest setting, the HV 10 lens is 43.6mm (35mm equivalent). With a 0.7x wide-angle adapter attached, you get a 30.5mm (35mm equivalent). Still not very wide, in my opinion. I'm looking for a high-grade 0.65x or 0.55x.

Of course, it all depends how wide you want to go.
Michael John Mills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 01:20 PM   #28
Regular Crew

Well, as I said, there may (or may not) be some barrel distortion, but if there is, it's not much of an issue. The images seem fine, and I'm sure once you start filming (as opposed to shooting stills, which I'd do with my 5D anyway), you're not going to notice anything. I've added a 5050 to my next B&H shopping list. :)
Old November 4th, 2006, 10:39 AM   #29
Major Player

Lee, do you know what the diameter or size of the front of the Raynox HD5050 is? I want to be able to put some sort of a UV/clear / ND filter there, however I don't know what the size of front part of the wide angle is... Thanks
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 06:46 PM   #30
Major Player

Spike

It's 62mm.

(and of course you can insert a smaller 37mm ND filter between the 'HV10' and the 'HD5050 Pro')
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders