Wide angle adapter HV10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 18th, 2006, 09:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wide angle adapter HV10

I'm contemplating a wide angle adapter for the HV-10 - my brief time with it in a store leads me to think that this would be a useful accessory.
I have come across a wide angle adapter made by a Japanese company called Raynox, which appears to do what I want. The specific model is the Raynox HD-5005, which offers 0.5x magnification. Info on this converter is here: http://raynox.co.jp/english/video/hd5000pro/index.htm
I was wondering if others have experience with this company's converters and any advice on using such a device with a camera such as an HV-10.
David Sayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2006, 11:39 PM   #2
Regular Crew

note: WHICH Canon wide-angle adapter? WD-H37C, not 37?

Separate but related question, sorry to sort of hijack the thread David-

I was looking also for the Canon wide-angle adapter, Canon lists the model# as " Wide Converter WD-H37C" . (note the C on the end)

I looked around <company X>, <company Y>, <company Z> etc for the WD-H37C part,
but they only listed WD-H37 ... not H37*C* .
Product code# is 1305B001AA per Canon manual/website , compatibility only w/ HV10, not Optura10/others (which the H37 part seems to be for.)

Canon's website lists also WD-H37 wide adapter, but for Opturas...
that product code# appears to be 8836A001AA.

I checked <Company X> details for the listed WD-H37 (NOT C part), and it has the 8836A001 number. I think this is DIFFERENT part. ??

Can anyone confirm there really is a functional etc difference here, eg two different/incompatible parts?

If so / meantime, people may need to be very careful ordering the right part.

Also note, the Tele Converter TL-H37 and FS-H37U 37MM Filter Set DO seem to have the same part# and compatibility listing, across the HV10 and Optura 10/20, so those are OK.
Colin Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2006, 06:15 PM   #3
Wrangler

Gents,
Just a couple of gentle reminders from your forum moderators:
- If you think what you have to say would be a thread hijacking, well, don't...just start a new thread.
- DVi depends on hand-picked sponsors; please DO give them a call or email when you need help with a purchase. Please DON'T link or otherwise point our membership to retailers who don't support DVi...here's why.
Thanks!
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2006, 07:11 PM   #4
Major Player

HV10 wide angle

We are planning to purchase the hv10 for a pov camera that we can plan to throw in many different uses, for a travel show. A wide angle lens / attachment is definitely needed for this purpose, will the Canon WD-H37C 0.7x Wide Angle Converter be appropriate for a HDV shoot?
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 10:00 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike Spiegel
We are planning to purchase the hv10 for a pov camera that we can plan to throw in many different uses, for a travel show. A wide angle lens / attachment is definitely needed for this purpose, will the Canon WD-H37C 0.7x Wide Angle Converter be appropriate for a HDV shoot?
I downloaded the manual that is linked in at the top of the forum. On pg 86, that is the one listed.

I am debating about using one as a POV helmet cam myself. Need a wide angle too.
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #6
Major Player

cool! thanks for the info, i am guessing the wide angle is notgoing to distort the HD image too much then, if anyone has any experience with this, please post your comments. Thank you
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2006, 08:53 AM   #7
Trustee

Spike, have you found a fit for a POV case yet or are you even doing a helmet mount? So far, the best site I have found is this guide at Mountain Bike Bill's and Pete Fager's.

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/HowToVideo.htm
http://www.petefagerlin.com/video_how_to.htm
Old October 11th, 2006, 10:37 AM   #8
New Boot

Hv10

I have purchased the set up in question and it works great when your not zoomed in, there is distorting on the edges. When I purchased this wide angle lens I knew it was not a full zoom through.

I use the camera as a POV in conjunction with my XL-H1.
Old October 21st, 2006, 08:11 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sayed
I have come across a wide angle adapter made by a Japanese company called Raynox, which appears to do what I want. The specific model is the Raynox HD-5005, which offers 0.5x magnification. Info on this converter is here: http://raynox.co.jp/english/video/hd5000pro/index.htm
I was wondering if others have experience with this company's converters and any advice on using such a device with a camera such as an HV-10.
I have this combination (HV10+ HD-5050), it works just like you would expect, no vignetting anywhere in the zoom range even on full wide angle.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 09:21 AM   #10
Major Player

HV10 + Raynox 5050 Wide angle on full wide.

Actually there is some vignetting when you are on full wide (I just didn't notice it on the LCD - it must overscan a little)

http://www.filefactory.com/file/884d91/
Old October 25th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #11
Major Player

!! I change my mind yet again !!

There is no vignetting on the Raynox HD5050 wide angle lens - I left the plastic extender ring on by accident - hence the vignetting on the movie posted above.

Old October 25th, 2006, 05:04 PM   #12
Trustee

Wow! And it is only $95USD at B&H! And it has a filter ring!
Old October 25th, 2006, 05:51 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Ellis
Wow! And it is only $95USD at B&H! And it has a filter ring!
Yep! the lens end is threaded (62mm) so you have the option of sticking filters on this end or the camera end (37mm).
Old October 25th, 2006, 09:22 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Cool, thanks-
is the HD5050 big enough to also block (or otherwise confuse) the IAF sensor?
eg you need to disable Instant AF ?

What is the effect on the full telephoto?
Colin Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2006, 11:18 PM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gould
Cool, thanks-
is the HD5050 big enough to also block (or otherwise confuse) the IAF sensor?
eg you need to disable Instant AF ?
The lens does block the IAF sensor, see pics here >>

But strangely the auto focus doesn't seem to mind (??) perhaps it switches to standard auto-focus automatically when big lens' or thumbs stop it from taking a meaningful reading (??)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gould
What is the effect on the full telephoto?
Same as the un-lensed HV10 on full telephoto but with 100% more area in the picture (the lens is a 0.5X) so it is like not having a lens attached and not quite zooming in as much.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders