DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Final Cut 5.1.2 and HV-10 connecting via firwire (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/78134-final-cut-5-1-2-hv-10-connecting-via-firwire.html)

Luc Meisel October 24th, 2006 01:57 PM

Final Cut 5.1.2 and HV-10 connecting via firwire

Hello all DV people

I am trying to get Final Cut Pro to recognize my HV-10

Works great with iMovie in a sec no problemo.

I have gone through the settings in FCP and set it HDV but that is a 1440x1080.

Now I know that the HV-10 is taping at the higher HD rez, but couldnt find a way to change those settings, does it matter?

What are the best or working settings for Final Cut that will get me started on capturing footage.

TIA

Ron Evans October 24th, 2006 05:33 PM

HDV is 1440x1080. That is what is recorded to tape for all 1080i HDV camcorders regardless of the imager.

Ron Evans

Luc Meisel October 24th, 2006 09:55 PM

thats what i thought but this is from canon website

"The HV10 is the first Canon camcorder to feature the Canon designed and manufactured CMOS image sensor. The CMOS image sensors in Canon's EOS Series Digital SLR cameras result in outstanding digital photographs. In the HV10, the CMOS sensor reproduces high-resolution images at 1920 x 1080 resolution with full HD information in video images."

and it did read other places that this was a true resolution.

Ron Evans October 24th, 2006 10:10 PM

That is correct. The imager does but is downscaled to go to tape at 1440x1080. The Sony's are the same. When the tape plays back the output is upscaled back to 1920x1080i in camera to the component outputs or HDMI in the case of some Sony's. This is why there is an interest in finding out for each new camera if any of the outputs truely have the full resolution before compression like the Xl-H1 going to the component,SDI or HDMI outputs that can be exploited for live uncompressed recording. But the IEEE1394 from tape will of course be 1440x1080i which is what the NLE will see. The still images from the HV10 will of course use the full imager.

Ron Evans

Lee Wilson October 25th, 2006 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans
That is correct. The imager does but is downscaled to go to tape at 1440x1080. The Sony's are the same.

This is not quite true.

The Sony's (even the FX-1/Z1) scale their image up from 960*1080 to 1440*1080 (and then to 1920*1080 on playback) - the Canon HV10 scales the image down from 1920*1080 to 1440*1080 (and then back up to 1920*1080 on playback).

This goes some of the way to explain the HV10's superior image quality.

Ron Evans October 25th, 2006 07:58 AM

It is my understanding that the Sony's DSP processes from the imager to full 1920x1080 then downscales to go to tape. I think this is the way that most of the camera manufacturers do this. It is a trade off between imager size, low light performance etc etc. The Sony Clearvid CMOS sensors certainly work this way. Having a full 1920x1080 sensors means either a very large sensor for low light performance or a possiblilty of poorer low light performance( because the pixels are smaller) which may negate the advantage of more pixels!!! Several of the reviews have commented on the low light performance of the HV10 not being as good as the Sony's. The approach that Sony have adopted with Clearvid is to get the best they can from the imager size and using the addressing advantage of CMOS to do this. Canon chose to go with a more pixels and for the same size will have potentially poorer low light performance but less processing of the image data. in good light this should produce a cleaner image.

Ron Evans

Lee Wilson October 25th, 2006 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Evans
It is my understanding that the Sony's DSP processes from the imager to full 1920x1080 then downscales to go to tape.

The imager is 960*1080 on Sony cams (FX-1/Z1/HC3/HC1), this will always be the bottleneck for image resolution.

Luc Meisel October 25th, 2006 11:00 AM

Does this mean that the output will be 1440 and the settings for FCP should be set to 1440?

Is anyone here using FCP and if so could you please post your settings.

I m dieing to edit!

:P

ok I changed a setting from HDV to Apple HDV.

Now it sees the cam and brings up the black screen starts the cam but dosent capture just sits there.

But i am one step ahead.

Hurray

Lee Wilson October 25th, 2006 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc Meisel
Does this mean that the output will be 1440 and the settings for FCP should be set to 1440?

Final Cut Pro >> Easy Setup >> HDV - Apple intermediate Codec 1080i50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc Meisel
Now it sees the cam and brings up the black screen starts the cam but dosent capture just sits there.

Can you talk us through the process you are using to capture ?

Luc Meisel October 26th, 2006 06:14 PM

well i was making certain that all the audio video setting were set to HDV etc.

Then attempted to capture.

but the easy mode got it working and recognized perfectly.

No problem.