DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Firestore w/HV10~ anyone? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/78449-firestore-w-hv10-anyone.html)

Steve Nunez October 29th, 2006 01:57 PM

Firestore w/HV10~ anyone?

I know this is a bit weird seeing as how the FS-4 is actually bigger then the HV10 itself- but has anyone used a HV10 w/FS-4 for HDV capture?
Any issues- how did it work out?

Steve Nunez October 30th, 2006 06:50 PM

Well I went out and bought a HV10 and hooked it up to the FS-4 but the FS-4 wont trigger via the camera's rec buttons- so this is a hiccup with use- I'll post this question over at the DTE Firestore forums.....if anyone here is using a FS-4 with a HV10- I'd love to hear how it's going.

Daymon Hoffman October 31st, 2006 02:59 AM

Steve,

Thanks for the info. Keep us informed of any findings :)

Bryan James November 24th, 2006 11:05 PM

Happily Surprised

I just captured video off my HV10 without having the tape running... I had the camera plugged in via firewire to my computer and had HDV Split recording.

-=Bryan

Michel Coste November 25th, 2006 05:02 AM

Can you record that way in 1920x1080?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan James
I just captured video off my HV10 without having the tape running... I had the camera plugged in via firewire to my computer and had HDV Split recording.

-=Bryan

Great!
That's what I wanted to hear!!!

Since there's no tape involved I suppose it would be logical to get full resolution (= no need to use HDV limited resolution!)

(I'm waiting for my HV10 to arrive today or monday!)

- mic

Bryan James November 25th, 2006 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michel Coste
Great!
That's what I wanted to hear!!!

Since there's no tape involved I suppose it would be logical to get full resolution (= no need to use HDV limited resolution!)

(I'm waiting for my HV10 to arrive today or monday!)

- mic

Sorry... it appears to do the 1440x1080i compressed format.. not really too surprising though... it still needs to process the video before it can send it down the firewire pipe...

-=Bryan

Brad Vaughan January 9th, 2007 08:22 AM

Any new user reviews concerning this?

This tapeless option seems like a nice future add-on to me.

How long does the stock battery last in the FS-4HD?

Steve Nunez January 9th, 2007 02:38 PM

Brad, The Firestore FS4HD DOES capture HDV as M2T files BUT the camera (as many consumer cameras) doesn't transmit the proper "dv rec" signal via IEEE1394 so it wont trigger the Firestore to record- you'll have to press the "Rec" button the Firestore unit itself to intiate the recording. So while it's possible to have a "tapeless" workflow it's a bit cumbersome- but it WILL work (I tested it myself.)

(Note: higher end camcorders do use a "DV rec" signal and will actually trigger the Firestore to stop/start recording remotely!)

Also note you'll need to convert the files to a format that's native to your NLE again taking away from the workflow- this transcoding is processor intensive and does take some time- results will vary on drive speed and CPU performance.