HV10 - On field feedback at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 15th, 2006, 07:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HV10 - On field feedback

Hello everybody HV10 owners,

after few weeks operation on field, I think you could give me some real feedback that can influence me and other new potential buyers.

Here my summary feeling, reading threads on this forum:

PRO
-very good performance in normal or bright light
-very good optical image stabilizer
-very good focusing
-very good panel display (for instance, brighter and accurate than Sony HC3)

CONS
-very bad audio, also no ext. mic in ( but this could have more influence
for professional users )
-bad low light performance in low light ( is it really possible to compensate it
recording at lower speed , 1/30 ? )
-bad handling/ergonomics (at least comparing to Sony HC3, my feeling
is the HV10 optical stabilizer benefits balance the bad handling )
-no HDMI out (someone can tell me about component out result on HDTV ? )
Better resolution of HV10 vs. HC3 can compensate the difference, if any ?

In few words, generally speaking, is it better to buy HV10 or HC3 ?
Waiting your welcome comments !

ES
Enrico Sasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 12:17 PM   #2
New Boot

I have read and seen footage of 'low light' on this forum and I would say it's far better than other low light footage I have seen before. My Canon MVX35i is really bad indoors or low light and very grainy footage, but from what I have seen of the HV10 so far is in low light the grainy picture is not so apparent.

As for the Mic, most professionals would not rely on the onboard microphone to record sound so I don't know how much of a problem that is. The design looks the same as the MVX35i and for holiday / home videos the microphone has been good so unless Canon have changed the components I would have thought the mic in the HV10 would be just as good.

Handling. Once again same as the MVX35i I have never had a problem and love how portable my camcorder is. Also I think the design makes it less obvious that it's a camcorder. I do think people with large hands / fingers may have problems with the design.

Personally I can't wait to get my hands on a HV10 and hopefully if stocks in Europe haven't dried up I will have one for Christmas day :)
Jonathan Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2006, 02:06 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Jonathan for your reply.
Any other comments from people that already have it on their hands?

On two points really I'd like to hear some feedback:

1)low light performance: someone say looking footages result are very nice, while camcorderinfo review say the opposite. Who is on the right side ?

2)No HDMI out: is so good the component out connection or so unpercettible the difference, that noone claim about its lack ? ehm..now we are in a digital world ?

ES
Old November 15th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico Sasso

1)low light performance: someone say looking footages result are very nice, while camcorderinfo review say the opposite. Who is on the right side ?

ES
Personal taste I suppose, but any improvement on my MVX35i is cool :)
Old November 15th, 2006, 10:33 PM   #5
Tourist

Quote:

2)No HDMI out: is so good the component out connection or so unpercettible the difference, that noone claim about its lack ? ehm..now we are in a digital world ?

ES

I've used the HV10 with the component out to a projector (1280x720 res) and it looked fine ( sharp and good color reproduction). The lack of HDMI out doesn't bother me as I can just dump the video to my PC and run HDMI from the PC. Unfortunately, I don't have a large flat panel TV yet...

Tony.
Tony Chuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Tony,

I have a 37 inch full HD LCD panel (Philips) and I can tell you I can see the difference when I switch same signal from HDMI to Component connection.
HDMI is a little bit sharper.
It's real a miss, my opinion, don't have the possibility to watch directly your
recording to HDTV at its best.

What about the low light performance? Did you take some?
Really I wonder tests on review say so bad while a lot of users don't mention it.

Hi Jonathan,

Reading you, I see you are satisfied about Canon ( myself with digital cameras ).
As SD camcorder owner, I could say the same about Sony.
But I wish to spend at best my money not depending the brand, only because performance products have.
No any doubts of better choice to buy Sony HC3 at a lower price?

ES
Old November 16th, 2006, 01:14 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Hi Tony,

I have a 37 inch full HD LCD panel (Philips) and I can tell you I can see the difference when I switch same signal from HDMI to Component connection.

Really I wonder tests on review say so bad while a lot of users don't mention it.

Hi Jonathan,

Reading you, I see you are satisfied about Canon ( myself with digital cameras ).
As SD camcorder owner, I could say the same about Sony.
But I wish to spend at best my money not depending the brand, only because performance products have.
No any doubts of better choice to buy Sony HC3 at a lower price?

ES
I have always prefered Canon Camera's be it Still or Camcorder as you say it's personal taste. The only thing that puts me off Sony is that normally you pay a premium for any add ons as Sony often make it hard for you to use anything but Sony accessories. (speaking in general here, not about any specific camera).
I have looked at the Sony, but know Canon cameras and also some comparisions of footage claim that the HV10 picture overall is better than the HC3.
I would do a google search from both and decide what you like the look of the best.
Old November 16th, 2006, 07:39 PM   #8
Tourist

Quote:
Hi Tony,

ES
Hi,
Hmm, that's a good point.. I should try comparing the same footage between component out from the HV10 and HDMI from the PC. If I had a better display, the difference is probably a lot more obvious.
As far as low light performance, I'd say it's decent. It's not as bad as the reviews put it. You have some options to prevent grainy footage (for ex. by reducing the shutter speed down to 1/15). It's also subjective. I've taken some indoor video at night with only a 25Watt flourescent where colors a little washed out, but it's still a lot better than my old Elura 40MC which was horrible. How can I post picture?
Tony
Tony Chuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 01:08 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:

You can watch your HV10 footage on your HDTV using a HDMI output from your computer.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2006, 04:10 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Tony ,

I don't know how you can post the pictures, may be you can post on Canon Image Gateway website.
Someone readers have other ideas ?

Hi Lee ,

yes that's a nice possibility.
Unfortunately I should change my computer's graphic card, mine now haven't
HDMI output.

ES
Old November 17th, 2006, 02:44 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Hi Lee ,

yes that's a nice possibility.
Unfortunately I should change my computer's graphic card, mine now haven't
HDMI output.

ES
£130 ($249) for a small HDMI input / output card.

No need to replace your current video card.

click>> http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/index.asp
Old November 17th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Chuang
How can I post picture?
Free image hosting > http://imageshack.us/
Old November 19th, 2006, 10:38 AM   #13
New Boot

If it's any help the small review in the T3 magazine gave the Cam 4 out of 5 stars and said the image quality even in low light is better that the Sony HC3.
They said the only thing that lets it down is the HDMI connection and the lack of a accessory shoe
Old November 19th, 2006, 01:12 PM   #14
Major Player

Oops, I made a mistake, ignore my comment.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #15
Trustee

I am always amazed seeing this camera rated poorly in low-light. I've got the unit and am just amazed at the professional picture quality it produces. In low-light (defined here as normal room lighting at night), this camera is absolutley the equal, if not better, than the FX1 which I owned for some time. It certainly is superior to the Sony HC1/HC3 which I also owned.

Why this camera was knocked for low-light just escapes me. Not only is it almost noise free in the conditions I mentioned, but the picture retains all of its sharpness. This is something the Sonys simply don't do. Anyone that owns one of the Sony HDV cameras knows how they get quite soft in typical room lighting.

This camera is the biggest winner in the HDV field IMO.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders