So Much For a Feeder Deck at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 20th, 2006, 08:41 AM   #1
New Boot

So Much For a Feeder Deck

Hi Everyone,

I own an XL H1 and originally purchased the HV10 as a feeder deck. Now I'm looking for a feeder deck because the HV10 is so cool!!

I've read most all of the posts with respect to the HV10's good and bad poiints and agree with most of them, but this little camera is capable of some incredible footage when set up correctly. It's lousy in low light as everyone says and eats the included battery alive but for about $30 I picked up a Lenmar LIC315 battery and I can shoot for quite a while without any worry.

I took the HV10 to the beach this weekend, mounted it to a small tripod and shot surfers. I played the video back via component into both a Sony 34" HD CRT and a Sony 26" HD LCD. The quality was so good I just sat there with my mouth hanging open. In the right conditions, I'll have to make sure I label the tapes so I can remember whether the shot came from the XL H1 or the HV10. Sure, the H1 is capable of far more but for $1200 the HV10 is too good to burn up as a feeder deck.

I purchased a very small Pelican case, set it up to hold the camera, spare battery, charger, and two tapes. The whole mess measures 11" X 10" X 5", is bulletproof, and can be taken anywhere. Just yesterday I was heading North and was stopped in a traffic jam do to a brush fire. Once I came up on it, the scene was incredible. Fire fighters were up on hills in a line, helicopters were making drops, and smoke and flames were everywhere. No monster H1 around, but the HV10 was. It took all of about 2 minutes to pull it out, load a tape, and shoot HD out of the window. That kind of freedom is well worth low light problems, HDMI out, and a mic shoe!

I have to take a moment and thank Brian at Zotz Digital who sold me both the H1 and the HV10. Great service, great source of information, great prices, and fast tax free shipping.

Big question...any recommendations on a good feeder deck?

Thanks for reading,
Richard
Richard Seccombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 12:07 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Ha. Great report, thanks Richard -- I always thought the HV10 would be a good match for the H1 out in broad daylight. If you feel motivated to shoot some identical side-by-side clips between these two cams, then I'd be happy to host a comparison video for downloading from our media server.

Sounds like you need *another* HV10 for that elusive feeder deck...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #3
New Boot

Thanks Chris,

That's a great idea. I'd like to see them side by side as well. Long weekend coming up and hopefully I'll have the time to do it.

Thanks,
Richard
Richard Seccombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 01:07 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Seccombe
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for reading,
Richard
Survey says, How about another HV10. Seems like the cheapest thing around, and you never know when you'll need to do a 3 camera shoot.
Old November 20th, 2006, 02:25 PM   #5
Major Player

Why not use your XL H1 as a feeder deck for the HV10 ?
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 07:45 PM   #6
Go Cycle

Shot over the weekend with my XH-A1 and my HV-10. Both are winners in my book and seem close in quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Seccombe
Hi Everyone,

I own an XL H1 and originally purchased the HV10 as a feeder deck. Now I'm looking for a feeder deck because the HV10 is so cool!!

I've read most all of the posts with respect to the HV10's good and bad poiints and agree with most of them, but this little camera is capable of some incredible footage when set up correctly. It's lousy in low light as everyone says and eats the included battery alive but for about $30 I picked up a Lenmar LIC315 battery and I can shoot for quite a while without any worry.

I took the HV10 to the beach this weekend, mounted it to a small tripod and shot surfers. I played the video back via component into both a Sony 34" HD CRT and a Sony 26" HD LCD. The quality was so good I just sat there with my mouth hanging open. In the right conditions, I'll have to make sure I label the tapes so I can remember whether the shot came from the XL H1 or the HV10. Sure, the H1 is capable of far more but for $1200 the HV10 is too good to burn up as a feeder deck.

I purchased a very small Pelican case, set it up to hold the camera, spare battery, charger, and two tapes. The whole mess measures 11" X 10" X 5", is bulletproof, and can be taken anywhere. Just yesterday I was heading North and was stopped in a traffic jam do to a brush fire. Once I came up on it, the scene was incredible. Fire fighters were up on hills in a line, helicopters were making drops, and smoke and flames were everywhere. No monster H1 around, but the HV10 was. It took all of about 2 minutes to pull it out, load a tape, and shoot HD out of the window. That kind of freedom is well worth low light problems, HDMI out, and a mic shoe!

I have to take a moment and thank Brian at Zotz Digital who sold me both the H1 and the HV10. Great service, great source of information, great prices, and fast tax free shipping.

Thanks for reading,
Richard

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders