25p on HV10? Article, German Translation at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 24th, 2006, 11:20 PM   #1
Inner Circle

25p on HV10? Article, German Translation

By the look of it he is saying that he can set the camera to 25fps progressive and got rid of interlace. But he says that this seems to reduce the resolution, like on Sony cameras progressive modes.

http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl...%26as_qdr%3Dm3

Can anybody interpret this properly, as reduced resolution 25p, is as useless as tits on a bull.

It would be interesting to see test chart comparisons, and movement comparisons between these modes, as was done of the Sony A1 when this question came up.
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 24th, 2006, 11:36 PM   #2
New Boot

the google translation...
http://translate.google.com/translat...language_tools

It seems that the reviewer stepped down the frame rate of his PAL HV10 to 25fps just like we drop down to 30? Possibly the "loss of resolution" is motion blur?

My google german to english is a little rusty!

-=Bryan
Bryan James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2006, 06:02 AM   #3
Major Player

Brushing up my german, and making some assumptions, I think he's talking about when you put the shutter to 1/25, it de-interlaces automatically (like older cams like the legendary vx1000 did). You could do the same with a less 'dreamy' look by doing a rough de-interlace in your editor, since both will approximately halve resolution.

Steven
Steven Fokkinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 01:12 AM   #4
Inner Circle

So, this is nothing to do with a low light shooting mode, or lamp function?

When you say de-interlace internally, which one does he mean (anybody):

- Just that the two 25th/sec fields shutters overlap (I think, like old XL1s)
- The camera interpolates, or sums, every two vertical lines like the Sony Vx2100 does.
- The camera puts the fields through an de-interlace routine

- or (preferably). It sets the senor too, and captures, true progressive frames?

Only the last choice, and de-interlacing is a good choice for us. Progressive compresses better than interlace.

Is there any test shots and footage of the HV10 in 30th mode?

Thanks

Wayne.
Old November 26th, 2006, 07:57 AM   #5
Major Player

Repeated post now deleted. . .

Last edited by Mathieu Kassovitz; November 26th, 2006 at 08:36 AM.
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 08:33 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Fokkinga
Brushing up my german, and making some assumptions, I think he's talking about when you put the shutter to 1/25, it de-interlaces automatically (like older cams like the legendary vx1000 did). You could do the same with a less 'dreamy' look by doing a rough de-interlace in your editor, since both will approximately halve resolution.

Steven
Both? Or not? Because if with the shutter 1/25 we have 25 progressive-like and not truly just interlaced, the outcome might be full and not half resolution. . .or isn't it so?
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2006, 10:18 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Every field has to have it's own separate shutter in interlace. By extending this shutter, you are at least making it overlap, reducing the interlace effect, but not eliminating it. But this would mean that the integration of field one would overlap with the integration of field 2 of the previous frame. But maybe they could be shifting the two shutters to exactly the same period to stop this. From distant memory I think the XL1 used the version that did not perfectly overlap.

Anybody know anything about this?
Old December 2nd, 2006, 05:26 PM   #8
Major Player

Well today I went out and shot various bits of footage and tested the priority 25 shutter option. It does totally remove horizonatal interlacing artifacts when played in VLC but I do think some resolution may be lost too - it is subtle though. I do have some samples if anyone can point me in the right direction?

Cheers
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:22 AM   #9
Inner Circle

If this is the case on both live action footage and panning hi contrast resolution charts, that's great. Lack of resolution needs comparison shoots between mode on and off with a static resolution chart same position and uncompressed frames.

My bet is,that if the thing is only a pretend mode, you will see averaging/summing, or one field missing.
Old December 3rd, 2006, 09:29 AM   #10
Major Player

when I return next week I will do some stattic shots and post them so we can compare.
Old December 4th, 2006, 10:54 AM   #11
Major Player

I have posted some samples on the "Various Samples" thread
Im still not clear if its truly progressive or not but I do think there is a slight loss in resolution.
Old December 4th, 2006, 11:23 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Thanks Fergus
Wayne Morellini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders