Canon USA offers HD video for download - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:10 AM   #16
Major Player

Yes, I noticed the HV20 clips there late last week. A bit disapointing that they're all shot in the club, but at least the girl looks good.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 09:48 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I'm confused with the HV20 clip that is in 1080p. HV20 is capable of 1080i, correct? Or does Canon deinterlaced the clip and post them as 1080p?
Taky Cheung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:09 PM   #18
Major Player

It DOES shoot at 1080P, and 1080i.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 08:57 PM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Cowie View Post
I was wondering when they'd get round to it Is on same page as the HV10 clips

http://usa.canon.com/app/html/See_Th.../hd_cmos.shtml
Anyone notice a continuity error in that movie? I think I did, but I'll wait to see what others say.

-gb-
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 10:06 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Thomas View Post
It DOES shoot at 1080P, and 1080i.
How can I select between 1080i and 1080p in HV20? Thanks
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:20 PM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Go to Menu > Rec / In Setup > HD Standard > HDV(PF24). See page 38 of the operator's manual.

That's what toggles between 1080i60 and 1080p24 in this camcorder. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:27 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Go to Menu > Rec / In Setup > HD Standard > HDV(PF24). See page 38 of the operator's manual.

That's what toggles between 1080i60 and 1080p24 in this camcorder. Hope this helps,
From the manual, it says
"HDV(PF24): High-definition video at 1080i specifications for recording with a progressive frame rate of 24fps."

Does that mean if I record in HDV24p, I can drop it to a HDV30p timeline to do editing? Or do I need to do the pulldown removal then edit in a HDV24p timeline?

Thanks

Taky
Old May 24th, 2007, 10:35 AM   #23
Major Player

There's a process you have to do to get the 24p out of the HV20. There's a bunch of threads on the topic, mostly involving either After Effects or Cinema Tools.
Old October 5th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Got the HV20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Goldberg View Post
I played the 720P on my computer with Gateway 21" widescreen HD monitor, and it looked very good. Almost convinced me to buy this camera, EXCEPT that it doesn't make up for this camera's lack of an external mike input and accessory shoe.
In followup to the above, which I posted a while back, I ultimately bought the Canon HV20, which has the accessory shoe and mike input.
Mark Goldberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 07:38 AM   #25
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Moved here from Canon XH forum.

The direct link is http://usa.canon.com/app/html/See_Th.../hd_cmos.shtml

Files are H.264 video in QT7 format.
Comment from a video newbie, who has never owned a video camera- and who intends most likely to buy a Canon HV-20. I happened to check out that Canon web site. It was the first time I've downloaded such files- previously only looking at YouTube videos. I wanted to see how well they'd play on my fairly high end PC.

The SD and 720 looked perfect. The 1080 was crystal clear but a bit jerky in places- the more motion the more jerkiness. I presume that jerkiness wasn't in the video but was because my PC isn't powerful enough to show it without skipping frames?

I have a Dell with Intel Core 6400 (2.13 GHz)- 2 gigs of ram, a Dell 24" flat screen monitor which has a native res of 1920X1200. The video card is an NVIDIA GeForce 7900 with 256 MB onboard ram. OS is Vista Ultimate.

What I'm concerned about is- when I record 1080i with the HV-20 and try editing it- will that jerkiness make it difficult to edit?

Thanks,
Joe
Joseph Zorzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 04:54 PM   #26
Tourist

HG10 1080p30 footage?

Hey all,

The HG10 sample footage on this Canon USA seethedifference page looks very good to me, but I have a question about it. (I am a new owner of the camera trying to learn how to get the best possible results from it.)

http://downloads.canon.com/seethedif...1080-movie.mov

http://downloads.canon.com/seethedif...x720-movie.mov

At about 4:10 in the clip, a graphic comes up saying "HG10 24p Cinema mode", which I assume means that the footage prior to that was shot in 60i and then deinterlaced (since Apple Compressor tells me that these clips are progressive).

Notice that the Canon sample clips have a striking lack of interlace artifacts (i.e., venetian blinds and stairstepping) compared to 60i footage right out of the camera, e.g., see clips posted in this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=101059 -- i.e., any of the 60i clips in http://file.meyersproduction.com/hg10/.)

When I try deinterlacing my HG10 60i footage in Compressor using its "spare-no-expense" settings (Resize Filter: Best, Output fields: Progressive, Deinterlace: Best - for the Apple users among you) the results are not nearly as good, not to mention that it takes forever. (I realize that the results depend on the type and amount of motion in the clip; as I compare my results to Canon USA's, I am taking that into account and limiting the comparison to footage with similar content and motion.)

So my question is, to you HG10/HV20 owners, if you are able to get 1080/30p results you feel are comparable to (or better than) the Canon samples, what is your workflow?

FYI: I am able to get comparable results to Canon's 24p Cinema mode footage by shooting 24p and using Apple's "1080p24 workflow for the Canon HV20 Camcorder". So my question is specifically about 1080p30 workflow.

Thanks!
Jim Mahoney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders