Problems with my HV10 and HDV capture.... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 29th, 2006, 08:21 PM   #16
New Boot

Having problems with the HV-10 capture into FCP too. The camera is recognized and logs fine but drops TC on import. I am using a MacBook Pro 2.33 Duo core, 2gigs of ram and 7200 fire wire drive. I am using the HDV 1080 60i easy setup. The device control defaults to Sony HDV Firewire. Is this the problem? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mike
Mike McEntire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #17
Major Player

Sounds like this might be the first possible defect to be documented for the HV10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McEntire
Having problems with the HV-10 capture into FCP too. The camera is recognized and logs fine but drops TC on import. I am using a MacBook Pro 2.33 Duo core, 2gigs of ram and 7200 fire wire drive. I am using the HDV 1080 60i easy setup. The device control defaults to Sony HDV Firewire. Is this the problem? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Mike
That makes three of us having trouble importing HDV into FCP 5.1.2 and having similar problems.

Sounds like either there is a bug, or we are three very unlucky HV10 owners. Anybody else?
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:38 PM   #18
New Boot

Forgot to mention that it will capture directly into FCP using Capture Now. Problems with TC occur using Batch Capture. Any ideas?
Thanks, Mike
Mike McEntire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 08:19 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McEntire
Forgot to mention that it will capture directly into FCP using Capture Now. Problems with TC occur using Batch Capture. Any ideas?
Thanks, Mike
I found that if you don't give yourself several seconds between logged clips, the HV10 stutters and fails. Moving the points a few seconds fixed this on my end.
Old December 11th, 2006, 08:23 PM   #20
Major Player

HV10 Issue tested....

I put my HV10 up against my A1 for capturing 3 tapes of Ambient footage (about 35 minutes each).

I can tell you hands down that the A1 never missed a beat, but the HV10 failed on every tape. Usually 3-5 times during a 'catpure now' the HV10 lost timecode and started a new clip. Usually with longer files. When repeated, the breaks occured at different places.

Now I am left to wonder if the tape transport in my HV10 is defective or is this tiny little camera not all that cracked up to be a deck.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?
Old December 11th, 2006, 11:05 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Well I'm going to be using the HV10 with a MBP 2.33 myself so as soon as I get the HV I'll run some tests myself. You've got me a little worried as I've had problems with transports in cheap DV cams when trying to do batch captures over FW, especially times where there weren't too many frames between the end point of 1 clip and the start point of the next. There use to be a preroll adjustment but I don't remember if that actually affected capture control or just when laying back to tape.
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 09:37 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Got the HV10 yesterday and did a little experimentation in FCP. I used the easy setup and my first few attempts to batch capture had numerous abortions. I changed the device preset from Sony HDV to firewire basic HDV and batch capture worked flawlessly. This was on a MBP 2.33.
Old December 14th, 2006, 03:25 PM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Dykmans
Got the HV10 yesterday and did a little experimentation in FCP. I used the easy setup and my first few attempts to batch capture had numerous abortions. I changed the device preset from Sony HDV to firewire basic HDV and batch capture worked flawlessly. This was on a MBP 2.33.
Yeap, Firewire basic is the way to go.
Mike on post #16 of this thread, mentions that it defaults to Sony HDV (at least on the Mac), it should be changed to Firewire Basic.
I use FCExpress and had the same problem. I think Apple needs a software upgrade on BOTH programs for this camera.
Thanks Rich!!!
Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2006, 04:04 PM   #24
Major Player

I have been using Firewire BASIC as well.
Old December 14th, 2006, 07:01 PM   #25
Regular Crew

I also thought I'd mention that I have a FW800 Graid that I'm capturing to and the camera is daisy chained on to the FW400 port (along with some other drives). Maybe that's got nothing to do with the issues some of you guys are having though.

FCP doesn't seem as snappy working with HDV as it did with DVCPro HD but I kind of expected that.

I'm looking at some similar footage shot with an HVX200 (outdoors -both in 1080i) and I have to say the HV10's looks pretty good when compared. Sure the color isn't as good but the detail sure is.
Old December 19th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #26
Trustee

I owned an HV10 for a weekend back in November along with an XH-A1. Using Cineform HDlink capture software, I could not capture a complete tape without all kinds of timecode problems. The tape had 1 big 55 minute clip on it with no breaks in it. However the camera would stop intermittently during capture. And I mean stop. The transport would shut down and I'd have to manually restart it. This was a tape recorded in the HV10. I also tried with an A1 recorded tape and it had the same issues.

I finally resorted to having to use the A1 to acquire the footage. This worked better but there was still a few clips that got broken up into different captures. But at least the camera didn't actually stop playing.

I sent both back and bought a used H1. FWIW I was not happy with the A1 ergonomics and design already....these capture issues only sealed the deal on sending both cameras back.

I hold out hope that getting another A1 or HV10 down the road will yield better results for me.

Peace!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2006, 10:36 PM   #27
Tourist

Still no help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis A. Diaz
Yeap, Firewire basic is the way to go.
Mike on post #16 of this thread, mentions that it defaults to Sony HDV (at least on the Mac), it should be changed to Firewire Basic.
I use FCExpress and had the same problem. I think Apple needs a software upgrade on BOTH programs for this camera.
Thanks Rich!!!
Luis
I've been rabidly searching the internet for some answer to this problem of capturing to FCP 5.1.2 or iMovieHD 6.0.3 - NADA! I've tried all the above configurations - to no avail. I agree that maybe my camera is defective, too!

Here's the kicker! It captured PERFECTLY onto FCP 5.1.2 for the first several gigs! Weird, huh? Anyone who still cares about this issue and can help us few HV10 misfits, I'd be much obliged!
Old December 21st, 2006, 09:04 AM   #28
Major Player

HV10 is a failure...

HV10 is a failure as far as using it as an HDV deck. It performs fine as an HDV camera and SD deck, but it consistantly fails as an HDV deck.

I would highly recommend anybody considering purchasing the HV10 as a deck think twice and prepare for major disappointment if they go ahead.
Old December 21st, 2006, 09:58 AM   #29
Inner Circle

History!

Since I'm considering one of these cameras I would like some more definitive answers.

When the camera arrived, did you clean the heads with a cleaning tape?

What brands of tapes are you all using?

Has anyone sent their camera in for servicing? It's under warranty right? It does have a year like the rest of the Canon line?

If you have cleaned it, are you putting the bad tape back in, or retrying with new tape?

Does this seems to be an issue with certain software or just the camera itself?

How many of you are having this problem?

Anyone using PPro and CineForm and having problems?

Is anyone capturing without issue and if so with what?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mike
Old December 21st, 2006, 10:06 AM   #30
Major Player

When the camera arrived, did you clean the heads with a cleaning tape?
***Yes. Brand new cleaning tape.

What brands of tapes are you all using?
***Panasonic AMQ63 only

Has anyone sent their camera in for servicing? It's under warranty right? It does have a year like the rest of the Canon line?
***Still trying to acertain if it is defective or just cheap mechanics.

If you have cleaned it, are you putting the bad tape back in, or retrying with new tape?
***I have no 'bad' tapes. Read the other threads on this.

Does this seems to be an issue with certain software or just the camera itself?
***In my professional opinion, it is the camera.

How many of you are having this problem?
***I would like to know that also.

Is anyone capturing without issue and if so with what?
***My XH A1 has not ever dropped a single frame.

I hope this helps. I was really hoping this would meet my deck needs for HDV and Canon 'F', but I am very unhappy and just wanted to warn others of the unresolved issues. This camera is problematic.

Cheers!

Cody

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders