Capture to Black Magic Multibridge extreme at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old November 29th, 2006, 01:27 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Capture to Black Magic Multibridge extreme

Pardon my ignorance, but is it possible to capture direct from a HV10 through a Blackmagic multibridge extreme into FCP?
And if one was to do this, what would be the best way of doing it?
I am asking because I used an Hv10 as second camera with an HVX-200 and I want to capture all my footage as DVC-pro HD rather than capture it as HDV and convert it in the computer.
Thanks
John
Old November 29th, 2006, 04:11 PM   #2
Trustee

Yes you can use the HD component connections and capture HD as DVCPRO HD on your Mac system. The clips will be 1080i however. Did you shoot 720p or 1080i/p with the HVX200? If you shot 720p then you will still have to convert to 720 in your software.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2006, 04:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Thomas,
I shot 1080i with the HVX so that it would be as simple as possible to go between the two formats in post.
Just a question on the capturing side of the HV-10, and I should know this, but if I come out of the HV-10 component, how do I go in to the Multibridge Extreme, is there a cable that I can by that goes from component to HD SDI, or through some other route.
Thanks again for your help.
john
Old November 30th, 2006, 01:40 AM   #4
Trustee

The Multibridge Extreme has component inputs. You just hook up the component cable that came with the camera and capture as DVCPRO HD. The multibridge also has analog audio inputs although I think you will have to go to Radioshack to buy some minijack to XLR audio adapters.
Old November 30th, 2006, 02:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

So I have to capture from the HV-10 as analog video, rather than digital? Doesn't this rather refeat the purpose?
Thanks again Thomas
Old November 30th, 2006, 09:12 AM   #6
Trustee

regardless if you go component to SDI or component directly into the multibridge the quality will be the same.

SDI is just a digital pipe and component converted to SDI is the same as capturing analog video into a digital file. It all becomes digital from analog in the end.

Component is not that bad at all. It may not be digital but if you use a short high quality cable you should hopefully get some good results.

The aim here was for you to easily edit DVCPRO HD and DVCPRO HD with great speed and no issues.

The quality will not get any better but then if you are coming from a HDV tape even SDI wouldn't help you out in terms of quality. A HDV tape is a HDV tape and there is no magic that can help that.

In some ways I like analog because it tends to smooth out the 4:2:0 color and some of the artifacts. It may be just a hair softer but then again converting to 1280x1080 DVCPRO HD is kind of soft anyways. Besides your HV10 has more raw detail then your HVX-200 so the tiny softening may be welcome to better match.

If you are not happy with the results then just use firewire and spend the time converting with your software. It may look a little bit better but then again you spent a lot more time to get the same overall results.

The only other suggestion would be to rent one of the Canon HDV cameras with SDI and use it as a deck to feed the tape from your HV10 through SDI.

The analog from the HV10 is still high quality HD. I cannot say exactly how good or bad it will look to your eyes but I do know it is still high quality HD. I do not yet have my HD capture card that can do component but I do have a uncompressed SD system and using component in this way gives me some super great results.
Old November 30th, 2006, 10:12 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thomas,
Thank you once again,
The fabulous thing about this forum, for some one like me, is that not only when I get stuck with something can I find help, but sometimes people give such full and helpful answers that they improve my understanding of how digital video works in the whole.
Also it is great when my flashy editor friends cut something together with lots of effects and colour correction to make it look very cool, whereas all I have to do, is do it right, and it looks amazing.
If you don't hear from me for a bit its because I'm capturing footage,
John
Old December 8th, 2006, 11:22 AM   #8
Major Player

Great response Thomas, i'm torn apart in deciding between the decklink multibridge and the aja xena lhe.

Going back to what you said about capturing thru the HD-SDI pipeline through a canon hdv cam... DOes this mean that we can pop open a HD-SDI project preset in adobe, and simply capture HDV tapes through the xlh1 or any other HDV cam connected to the comp thru sdi?

Is this going to really make a difference as opposed to firewire/component?
Spike Spiegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #9
Regular Crew

great info on this thanks. I'm using the HV-10 as a deck too and was concerned about the audio - would it be enough with a short cable run to use rca female to xlr leads to my AJA Kona LH rather than a converter box (unbalanced-balanced)?
Gary Barr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 10:32 AM   #10
Regular Crew

It's always interesting to read comments about SDI vs component or HDMI vs component. My only chance to compare the first was a chance to flip a Panasonic LT1700 back and forth between an SDI and component signal coming out of a Matrox MXO at Macworld. The video the Matrox guys were using at their demo was pretty good quality (did not look like HDV) and I personally couldn't see a bit of difference between the 2 different signal paths. I also cant see any major difference on my Plasma TV coming out of my DVD player either (comp. vs HDMI)

My limited experience tells me not to agonize over any of it. A component feed out of the HV10 to the DVCPro codec via the Multibridge sounds like a great RT solution. I seriously doubt you'd get any better perceptible quality with an SDI or HDMI feed off tape but I'm certainly interested in real life feedback.

The SDI output on that G1 is more for a live feed to studio broadcast equipment then to improve tape based output IMHO.

Thomas, I was interested in your comment about transcoding HDV to DVCPro HD via SW (vs hardware) and the ensuing quality. I've always been under the impression that hardware does it better then software. Is your experience different?
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2007, 11:12 AM   #11
Trustee

My comment was about capturing analog as DVCPROHD vs. firewire and then converting to DVCPROHD. The only quality difference I was talking about was any tiny level of loss due to the analog transfer. A HDV capture is HDV but it is a digital transfer so there is no analog loss. I doubt anybody would ever be able to tell the difference however.

Hardware isn't always better either. Hardware does does what it does fast. It can be made to have a high level of quality since it usually costs more. Hardware just means all the code is built into a chip that processes the conversion. Software conversion is software code that uses your cpu.gpu to power conversion and perform the math. Software however is much easier to adapt and adjust while a hardware conversion is often set for a one size fits all conversion. Software can higher quality because it doesn't need to be done in realtime on the fly. This means the settings can be set to maximize quality whereas hardware has a set way to do it to make sure it happens in realtime.

Finally you have to be careful with hardware encoders/decoders. They are not all at the same level of quality. A mpeg2 HDV encoder chip in a $1,000.00 camera is not the same as a broadcast mpeg2 HD encoder used to broadcast HD at a 18mbps datarate. While the encoder/decoder chip in the HV10 is amazing for the cost of the camera is has to be one of the cheapest HDV decoder chips in the industry based on the price of the camera.
Old February 15th, 2007, 01:34 PM   #12
Major Player

interlaced always, or can I capture progressive via component?

Thomas, I have a Decklink HD Extreme and let's say I use my HV10 via component to capture to a 4-drive SATA raid in my Mac Pro at a high data rate (as to bypass HDV naturally). Will it always be "i" or could I capture the 24"P" as, well, 24P? I could capture in any codec - I'd prefer a deeper data rate than DVCPRO HD anyway.

Using this setup, could I capture progressive as progressive?
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #13
Trustee

Sadly no. Component comes out as an interlaced stream running at 60i. The uncompressed or lightly compressed file will be interlaced but with a 3:2 pulldown pattern. That means 3 out of every 5 frames will be progressive but then 2 frames will look interlaced. You will then have to use software to remove the 3:2 pattern to give you a true 24p video. If you buy and use Cineform however their software will remove the 3:2 pulldown on the fly during capture so the file on your hard drive will be 24p.

Now if anybody is a 25p user they will not have to worry about anything. 25p and 30p are much easier to deal with during uncompressed capture. The frames across as interlaced but they capture and look just like a progressive frame so it doesn't matter. 24p is the only complex beast because of the nature of how it needs to fit inside of 60i.
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #14
Major Player

Thomas, great explanation - thanks.
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Smet View Post
... 30p are much easier to deal with during uncompressed capture. The frames across as interlaced but they capture and look just like a progressive frame so it doesn't matter.
Thomas, I did not get it, sorry.

Are you saying that HV20's 60i video is actually 30p split between 2 fields? Or were you referring to some other camcorders?

Kindly clarify - thanks....
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders