Best settings for HV10 capturing and editing on FCP? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 4th, 2006, 11:27 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best settings for HV10 capturing and editing on FCP?

Hi there!
I just bought a brand new HV10 and I'm new with HDV. Does anybody knows wich are the best settings to capture and editing HDV footage? Thank you very much!!
Javier Salinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 03:15 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier Salinas
Hi there!
I just bought a brand new HV10 and I'm new with HDV. Does anybody knows wich are the best settings to capture and editing HDV footage? Thank you very much!!

Spain is PAL Not NTSC... is that right ?

For FCP: In the Menu >> Easy Set-up >> HDV Apple intermediate codec 1080i 50.

or use iMovie (which automatically sets itself up the same as above).
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2006, 06:52 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson
Spain is PAL Not NTSC... is that right ?

For FCP: In the Menu >> Easy Set-up >> HDV Apple intermediate codec 1080i 50.

or use iMovie (which automatically sets itself up the same as above).
I thought that FCP was able to do native HDV editing, as opposed to non-native like iMovie or Premier that use intermediate codecs.

I have been looking to purchase FCP for this reason but now that you mention this, I don't know if this is the only way for the HV-10 or because it is the easier way to do it on FCP.

Thanks,
Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 12:56 AM   #4
Major Player

FCP 5 and up definetly has native hdv, you can' use the intermediate if you want but there is native hdv too.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 05:04 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Yes Lee it's PAL.

Thanks for the suggetions guys. I captured some clips on HDV already and looks cool.

Now the problem is that FCP divides the clip in subclips when I capture. It's divided on the different takes that I recorded. For example: I named the clip "Moon" and I got "Moon-1", "Moon-2", "Moon-3", "Moon-4" and so on. I'd like to have all the takes on the same clip.

How can I avoid that? Is it a setting that I should change on the camera or in FCP?

Thank you in advance!!
Old December 5th, 2006, 07:22 PM   #6
Major Player

When you open "log and capture" you'll see it's got 3 tabs on the top right "Clip Settings", uncheck "Create new clip on Start/Stop" and that should fix your problem.
Old December 6th, 2006, 02:43 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis A. Diaz
I thought that FCP was able to do native HDV editing

Sure does.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 05:25 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Thank you Tomas, but I'm not upgraded yet. I still work with 5.0 and it doesn't have this option.

Any other idea? I've check a few posts from another users with the same problem but nothing new.

Thanks!
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson
Sure does.
Lee:

I presume that if it does native it will require a powerful Mac at least a G5 with dual core at least 2Ghz with lots of ram, maybe 2-4 Gigs and a fast video card.

Will a Mac Pro with Intel dual core 2.66GHz and 2Gig of Ram fit the bill for smooth, no bogdown, native editing in real time????

My Mac is a single processor PowerPc G5 1.8GHz with 512 MB of Ram and nVidia GeForce Fx5200. I think that is the bare minimum FCP will run.

Thanks,
Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 07:58 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Lee:

I presume that if it does native it will require a powerful Mac at least a G5 with dual core at least 2Ghz with lots of ram, maybe 2-4 Gigs and a fast video card.
'Native' usually is easier on FCP and not harder.

HDV is 25mbps - DV is 25mbps they both are stored in the same area on the same tape format - HDV is not much more of a strain on your system that good ol' DV - HDV (MPEG-2) is simply more efficient than DV encoding.

A good computer will make life easier but you do not have to sell the house to edit HDV. Many people edit on systems much lower than those specs.

Quote:
Will a Mac Pro with Intel dual core 2.66GHz and 2Gig of Ram fit the bill for smooth, no bogdown, native editing in real time????
Certainly, keep the timeline in FCP set up the same as your footage and you should have no problems, I edit on a 2hz G4 with 1 gig of ram and have had no problems.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders