HV10 to XP Problem - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 11th, 2006, 07:08 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff DeMaagd
If during a session that you do find you do need to capture footage, you need to completely shut down the program, connect & turn on the camera and restart the program.

Last edited by Lee Wilson; December 12th, 2006 at 10:29 AM.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #17
Regular Crew

This has happened from time to time with Apple's implementation of FW control and certain DV cameras in the past. I remember having that problem with one of my cameras a few years back. At some point Apple tweaks the drivers and it goes away.
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 11:46 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Driver DVTWN666_JE not excepted by XP OS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Miller
I have not been able to get Win XP to recognize my HV10

DV cable to working firewire port..... check
HV10 in play mode....check
Numerous pluggings, unpluggings and rebootings...check
HV10 settings as per manual....check
I have two firewire controllers, neither allow the PC to recognize the HV10

I want to try out Ulead Video studio. It doesn't see the device.

Any Ideas? Does the HV10 show as a device under My Computer when correctly attached?

Thanks.
I see you are having similar problems with your capture as well. I cannot get the driver to load. Either from disk or Canon download?! SP2 as well no previous DV cameras used on this HD or XP OS install.
Is there a Canon HV-10 HDV driver available for the WIN XP OS? My USB ports are good, maybe a batch of defective firewire cables shipped with the HV-10's?
Thanks,
Christo
Christo Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2006, 10:23 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo Aaron
I see you are having similar problems with your capture as well. I cannot get the driver to load. Either from disk or Canon download?! SP2 as well no previous DV cameras used on this HD or XP OS install.
Is there a Canon HV-10 HDV driver available for the WIN XP OS? My USB ports are good, maybe a batch of defective firewire cables shipped with the HV-10's?
Thanks,
Christo
USB port? included firewire cable? I think you are mistaken-
No such thing for HDV. The cable and Canon software/disk drivers are for *USB STILL PHOTO TRANSFER* - NOT for DV nor HDV video. The included cable is a USB cable.

Buy a firewire cable, and WinXPsp2 should recognize it with no driver needed.
Would be nice if Canon included a firewire cable, and this confusion would be avoided...

For info on how HDV cameras show up under Device Manager, see some connection instructions-
it's NOT under Imaging devices, like DV cameras...
it's AV/C device under Sound/Video/Game controllers...
http://www.ulead.com/learning/msp/msp8_02_03.htm
Colin Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 08:58 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I have no problems with my HV-10 capture on osx or xp. My friend did have a problem with his but it was due to bad firewire card on his mobo.

just wanted to put in my 2 cents on hv10 with xp
Michael Ferreira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2006, 09:12 PM   #21
Regular Crew

No thanks to Canon's confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gould
USB port? included firewire cable? I think you are mistaken-
No such thing for HDV. The cable and Canon software/disk drivers are for *USB STILL PHOTO TRANSFER* - NOT for DV nor HDV video. The included cable is a USB cable.

Buy a firewire cable, and WinXPsp2 should recognize it with no driver needed.
Would be nice if Canon included a firewire cable, and this confusion would be avoided...

For info on how HDV cameras show up under Device Manager, see some connection instructions-
it's NOT under Imaging devices, like DV cameras...
it's AV/C device under Sound/Video/Game controllers...
http://www.ulead.com/learning/msp/msp8_02_03.htm
There it is, Merry Xmas to you Colin! The burden of confusion has been lifted after I used my Sony Handi-Cam firewire cable... What a waste of time, thanks for nothing Canon!, and I won't be using your camera for still images anyway. Why does a company do there wise ass things anyway? BY the way this is a tiny camera for somebody with a full size right hand. The manual focus needed to be at the lens ring to do it right....
Christo Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2006, 11:52 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Aha! Glad to help remove some of the holiday "some assembly/batteries required" frustration :) Enjoy the video...

I think some of the Sony cams actually do stream video over USB2 cable, but only degraded webcam-type quality, so that's some of the confusion...
but yeah, for a $1000 video camera, you'd think they'd include the primary usage cable instead of the other secondary one. (especially when many have (faster) cardreaders for mem cards or existing usb cables anyway.)

The HV10 actually does decent stills, you should try some- fine for most casual stuff, it still has a bit of "video" feel to some of the edges/colors, but much much better than most SD video stills. Can't beat the convenience of simultaneous still 2MP-wide shots while recording video :) (although note that the low-light simultaneous stills are very grainy, for those (and proper lighting/flash), switch to still mode.)
Colin Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2007, 04:58 PM   #23
New Boot

Here's something....

All this traffic and no one mentions HDVSplit?
http://strony.aster.pl/paviko/hdvsplit.htm

I found out about it here...
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...light=HDVSplit

I use HDVSplit for my capturing needs with my HV10.
I just use it to capture streams and do not use it to automatically divide scenes... it doesn't do too well with that... :)

-=Bryan
Bryan James is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders