Cleaning the lense? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 8th, 2006, 06:29 PM   #1
Major Player

Cleaning the lense?

I noticed today that when manually focussing and going right out of focus i saw some spodges on the images. I then realsied that the lense may be dirty so I check an sure enough I can see tiny what look like stains left by tiny water droplets. I did go to the beach the other day and there was some sea spray so Im guessing it came from there.

Im a bit worried now that as it was salty this water on the lense might have damaged it? It doesnt seem to affect PQ in normal use - just obvious when out of focus :(

What are the best options for cleaning the lense? Should I use a normal cloth like the ones used to clean sunglasses with? A soft cloth? Should I use any water?

All advice welcome

Cheers
Fergus
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:06 AM   #2
Major Player

Would the jessops cleaning kit be ok to use?
Old December 9th, 2006, 02:45 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergus Anderson
Would the jessops cleaning kit be ok to use?
I use water or a mixture of Isopropyl alcohol 70% and water 50/50 mix.
The most important thing is to use a non-abrasive, ultrasoft wipe like Pec-Pad

The best solution is to put a UV filter, that way you don't have to mess with the lens.
Luis.
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #4
Regular Crew

This stuff is fricken unbelievable, I use it on everything. It's the shizz for cleaning the glossy screen on my MBP - leaves NO residue. Just use a lens cloth so you don't scratch your outer glass.

http://www.radtech.us/Products/OmniCleanz.aspx
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 05:49 PM   #5
Major Player

cheers chaps

The cleaning cloth that came with the jessops kit was crap so i used my cleaning cloth for my sunglasses instead.

bought a UV filter today from Jessops. Just wondered if you can get a lense cap for the HV10? Will any 37 lense cap work? Taking the UV filter off and putting it on is no bother but obviously when not in use it isnt covered and I could get finger marks on it?
Old December 10th, 2006, 01:26 AM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
cheers chaps

The cleaning cloth that came with the jessops kit was crap so i used my cleaning cloth for my sunglasses instead.
Is it one of those pale yellow ones ? I thought they seemed ok.

Quote:
bought a UV filter today from Jessops. Just wondered if you can get a lense cap for the HV10?
As you know the HV10 has a built in automatic lens cap, so I suppose you will be wanting a lens cap to fit onto your jessops UV filter ?

Quote:
Will any 37 lense cap work?
Yes.

Quote:
Taking the UV filter off and putting it on is no bother but obviously when not in use it isnt covered
I simply leave the UV filter on all the time, if I see any dirt or dust I give the UV a good polish with the Jessops lens cloth.

If you want a good tight lens cap buy a second UV filter.

Quote:
...and I could get finger marks on it?
Here's your solution:

http://www.leatherglovesonline.com/p...i1a-gr2880.htm

Lee
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 03:43 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Wilson
Is it one of those pale yellow ones ? I thought they seemed ok.

As you know the HV10 has a built in automatic lens cap, so I suppose you will be wanting a lens cap to fit onto your jessops UV filter ?

Yes.

I simply leave the UV filter on all the time, if I see any dirt or dust I give the UV a good polish with the Jessops lens cloth.

If you want a good tight lens cap buy a second UV filter.

Here's your solution:

http://www.leatherglovesonline.com/p...i1a-gr2880.htm

Lee
lol cheers Lee - love those mittens!

Hadnt though about a second UV filter - I suppose thats one option if I cant find a cheap lense cap. Any ideas where I can get a lense cap to fin onto the UV filter?

The pale yellow cloth was very bitty and had bits of fluff come off it - I was worried that I might end up with bits of fibre in the lense or it might not be soft enough.

Now all I need is a tripod...
Old December 10th, 2006, 10:53 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
lol cheers Lee - love those mittens!

Hadnt though about a second UV filter - I suppose thats one option if I cant find a cheap lense cap. Any ideas where I can get a lense cap to fin onto the UV filter?
Jessops sell 37mm lens caps, if you go to the New Oxford street branch - just near centre point - they have them downstairs, although 37mm is such a common size I am sure you can find them in numerous camera/video stores.

Of course all you would be protecting is the UV filter - and they are cheap and easy to clean with a lens cloth.

Only a few days ago I was filming extreme close ups of matches igniting and burning (I shot around 25 to get the perfect take) - I noticed each shot was getting hazier and hazier - it turned out that sulphur and been slowly depositing on the surface of the UV filter, this stuff was almost etched on by the time I had worked out the problem, it took a lot of scrubbing with a lens cloth to get it all off, the UV filter stood up fine and returned to a perfect polised surface.

These filters are glass they will not scratch or mark by simply looking at them if you know what I mean, you would be suprised at how well they stand up to a bit of abuse and then can be wiped back to their former glory with a good cloth.

Quote:
The pale yellow cloth was very bitty and had bits of fluff come off it - I was worried that I might end up with bits of fibre in the lense or it might not be soft enough.
Sounds like a dodgy one, they should be free of fluff and bitty free.

Lee
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders