Aperture and Shutter speed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 8th, 2006, 06:34 PM   #1
Major Player

Aperture and Shutter speed

I'm still getting to know the HV10 (and am loving it!)
I just wondered if its possible to manually control both the aperture and shutter speed together? You can select one or the other but not control both? I realise that both affect how light/dark the image will be but wondered how I control the depth of field/focus while alsu using manual focus at a given shutter speed?

Sorry for the noob questions

Thanks
Fergus
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2006, 09:58 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Aperture/shutter speed

I haven't received my HV10 yet but in asking myself the same question it appears there is a way. By using AV mode and locking your aperture at a lower f stop to max DoF you can still have some control over the shutter by using the EXP button and manually dialing the exposure up or down (pg 43) which should tecnically affect the shutter. I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has the cam if that method possibly in concert with the zebras is an effective means of manual exposure control. The only thing worrying me is the automatic gain but I guess one would learn with experience where that kicks in.
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 02:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Definitely, That is what I usually do with the zebra pattern set at 100% you can set your f stop manually with Av mode and press Exp button to close the Iris and start decreasing the zebra pattern in the highlights.

You want to be careful not to eliminate them all because usually you end up underexposing the shot, In bright sunny days I find that 2 or 3 clicks of closing the iris gives me about 50% less zebras and a good exposure.
Usually you don't have to do any of that in the shade or indoor, unless you are trying to create a special effect like a candle shot or similar.

I guess the dynamic range of video cameras in general is very poor in the highlights, that is why most of the pro cameras have sunglasses in the form of a neutral density filter.

I shoot mostly in P mode and on bright scenes use the Exp. to reduce exposure on the highlights.
Hope this helps,
Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2006, 03:03 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I guess my question Luis is whether that exposure button controls the shutter or aperture if you're in AV mode (or apertureand not shutter if you're in TV mode.) Is there an M mode on the camera? (they don't talk about one in the manual). Ideally I'd like to be able to set the aperture (in AV mode) and then control the shutter somehow (override the floating shutter if needed) but in reading your post it sounds like the EXP adjustment just overrides the fixed shutter?
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders