Just ordered my HV10! :) Possible to fit a 37mm lens onto it? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old December 17th, 2006, 03:43 PM   #1
Major Player

Just ordered my HV10! :) Possible to fit a 37mm lens onto it?

Hello all...

Well after checking out the site for the last few weeks and seeing all the great sample footage I have chosen the Canon HV10 over the Sony HC3. I have always owned a Sony Camcorder so this is a big change for me. The image quality was truly the winning factor for me (as was the Auto Focus).

Anyway, I was wondering if any of you HV10 owners here know if it would be possible to fit a Telephoto or Macro 37mm lens onto it for some additional filming options?

Does the lens support this type of addon? If so does it just screw right on or do you have to unscrew the default lens?

As soon as I start taking footage (probably not unitl after Christmas) I will share some of my footage here to return the favor of you guys sharing your samples.

I'm very excited at the prospect of having an HDV capable camcorder in my pocket to record HQ HDV Footage on the go!

Thanks again guys, the site has been truly helpful in my decision to get my HV10 HDV camera!
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 03:52 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Brad

I think you have made the right choice - I struggled for ages debating between the HC3 and the HV10 but Im more than happy with my choice and as you say the PQ is the winning factor!

I have jessops 37m UV and polarising filters and they screw on directly - nothing to unscrew.
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 03:54 PM   #3
Major Player

Fantastic to hear!

However, I better relax on spending anymore cash, but I will buy me some nice add-on lenses in the future.

Thanks for the reply!
Old December 17th, 2006, 05:02 PM   #4
Major Player

Also you might not need a macro lens, on fully wide the HV10 can focus on objects touching the lens, I am not joking, it really can focus that close, I pressed the front of the camera against my computer monitor (so it was actually touching) and it focused on the pixels perfectly.

Now all I need to do is find a spider willing to perform.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 05:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Wow, Lee!

I'm getting more and more excited about this Camera by the minute!

PS. I sent you an email...

I was hoping you might have some more sample vids to share to hold me over until my Camera gets here. :)
Old December 17th, 2006, 07:47 PM   #6
Major Player

Brad: I have been able to use my 37mm Sony wide angle lens (screw-on) on my HV10, looks great.

You won't be disappointed with the picture quality, it truly is stunning, better than the picture I was getting with my HC1. Others have complained about the audio quality, but I think it's perfectly fine for a consumer cam.

The one thing to beware of is when shooting in lowlight, the HV10 has an automatic slow shutter feature, which slows down the shutter to 1/30 or even 1/15, which does help with the lowlight picture but it also results in some picture blurring. You can easily override this feature but it is worth mentioning because I'm not aware of too many other cameras that have this feature -- for instance, the HC1 stays at 1/60 unless manually overrided.

That said, the HV10 is truly an awesome camera.
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2006, 11:54 PM   #7
Major Player

Excellent advice Dave.

Many thanks!
Old December 18th, 2006, 12:00 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Vaughan
Wow, Lee!

I'm getting more and more excited about this Camera by the minute!

PS. I sent you an email...

I was hoping you might have some more sample vids to share to hold me over until my Camera gets here. :)

I didn't get an email ?
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 09:34 AM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lammey
The one thing to beware of is when shooting in lowlight, the HV10 has an automatic slow shutter feature, which slows down the shutter to 1/30 or even 1/15, which does help with the lowlight picture but it also results in some picture blurring. You can easily override this feature but it is worth mentioning because I'm not aware of too many other cameras that have this feature -- for instance, the HC1 stays at 1/60 unless manually overrided.

That said, the HV10 is truly an awesome camera.
Just to be clear, when Dave says you can override this feature, you can go in to the camera's menu and tell it to never use the slow shutter speed regardless of light levels. So this doesn't have to be done each time you use the camera, just once in the menu and you're done.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2006, 12:14 PM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Ken.

And Lee, I sent another email thru the forum here. I hope it works this time.

I guess it gets sent to your email that you used to sign up here with.
Old December 18th, 2006, 12:51 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross
Just to be clear, when Dave says you can override this feature, you can go in to the camera's menu and tell it to never use the slow shutter speed regardless of light levels. So this doesn't have to be done each time you use the camera, just once in the menu and you're done.
ah thanks I didnt realise I could do that - that is very handy!

Cheers
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders