HV10 Update? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 2nd, 2007, 11:42 PM   #16
Major Player

Damn i was hopeing there was some reality in this. Like a couple of others i really would like a mic input (plus a better on board one to begin with) and HDMI out (before HDV conversion, but i think i can kiss that one good buy). Those are the main couple of things holding me back. ARGH!!

One thing is for sure, these camera companys know perfectly how to NEARLY create the perfect camera. :(
Old January 3rd, 2007, 12:36 PM   #17
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik
Best Buy is probably not going to carry this because it either isn't selling well or there is not enough profit to justify restocking it.
I was at the Best Buy this weekend in Delaware and about 90% of their display models were sold for Christmas. The HV10 was still there. Not sure I'd buy a display model camcorder with people fingerprinting and/or scratching the lenses, etc.
Robb Ware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2007, 03:24 PM   #18
Trustee

I bought a 3 month old HC1 display from BB, not a single issue. I got it for a few $100 less since it was the last one. I usually try stuff at the store, then buy online.

I purchased an HV10 from B&H Photo, and purchased a few spare batteries and tripod with the savings.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 02:11 AM   #19
New Boot

This is just my take on why your shop are not stocking the camera;

This like some other cameras fall into the Prosumer market not the Consumer market, they are the in between
for people who want quality, but not broadcast type / size cameras.
Because of this I have always found shops in the UK don't tend to stock cameras in the Prosumer range because
most people who go to the local shop for a camera are only interested in taking video and showing it on the TV.
Not many people would be interested in how / why the picture from this camera is any better, cetainly in the UK
HDTV is still slow on the uptake because of how expensive the TV's and the premium channels are.
I suspect that Canon are working on a replacement model, but I would be surprised if it arrived as quickly as
your store is expecting. I'm sure Canon are still only just collecting the sales figures for the HV10.

So in short I would say, if you are prepared to wait, see what Canon do bring out in a few months time.
I personally can live with the Mic and HDMI (don't have any need for it) as if I'm looking to video anything
more than a holiday video I will buy a portable audio recorder (had bad experience of external plug in Mic's where
the audio sounded worse than the built in Mic).
I may only have a SD TV, but the picture quality from this camera is worth it.
Jonathan Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:32 AM   #20
Regular Crew

What we all hope is that Canon does not follow in Sony's footsteps ... meaning dumbing down the next revision by eliminating even limited manual controls, and making it more of a fully-automatic consumer camcorder.

It would be really refreshing for Canon to go in the opposite direction, and add features such as a mic input. Or -- introduce a more pro-oriented model within the same form factor.
Mike Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #21
Major Player

For me the only biggie is frame mode
I can live without a mic input (you can use an external recorder)
hdmi is nice but not essential.
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #22
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Brown
What we all hope is that Canon does not follow in Sony's footsteps ... meaning dumbing down the next revision by eliminating even limited manual controls, and making it more of a fully-automatic consumer camcorder.

It would be really refreshing for Canon to go in the opposite direction, and add features such as a mic input. Or -- introduce a more pro-oriented model within the same form factor.

This is exactly why I bought the well used demo HC1 at BB. They had new HC3's there, and reports from Japan about highly compressed models coming next. (A warning about lower quality for same money). When the HV10 arrived with positive reviews, I didn't hesitate to get one. It's a good deck/HDV b-cam for my G1, as I'm only concerned with the image.

My gut feeling is that Canon may create something similiar to Sony's, only because that's what consumers want and that's what these cameras are geared for. If you need a cheap B-cam/deck for your A1, I wouldn't wait.
Peter Ferling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #23
Trustee

Like I mentioned in other threads, CES is just around the corner. The date is from January 8 to 11. New camcorders are expected to be shown and who knows, maybe Canon will also show something.

CES will definitely be massive this year will all the new electronics coming out.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
Like I mentioned in other threads, CES is just around the corner. The date is from January 8 to 11. New camcorders are expected to be shown and who knows, maybe Canon will also show something.

CES will definitely be massive this year will all the new electronics coming out.
Canon "could" announce something new in this line. I really, really doubt that they will replace it. The unit was just announced in July and shipped in what, September? So 4 months is the product cycle for them now? I just don't see that happening.

Having said that I'd be glad to see a updgraded model.........but I'm not expecting it.

Peace!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:02 AM   #25
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
CES is just around the corner. The date is from January 8 to 11.
If you look at the history of digital video camcorders, CES is indeed the event at which most of the new consumer models of the year are announced by all of the manufacturers.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #26
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Brown

Hope they don't.. I love the manual controls. It's like the functions on my SLR camera, yes they take a little learning but can be very useful to get effects that the Auto mode would not allow. Such as slowing down the shutter speed for a cool effect :)
Jonathan Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 12:07 PM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
If you look at the history of digital video camcorders, CES is indeed the event at which most of the new consumer models of the year are announced by all of the manufacturers.

Chris,

Isn't Canon known for "not" following that trend so much?

XL2 Announced in July? Shipped first week of Sept.
XLH1 Announced in Sept? Shipped in Late nov-early Dec
XH-A1/G1 Announced July Shipped Nov
hv-10 Announced July? shipped september?

I realize that there are other Canon cameras that were probably announced here. But I just have hard time thinking Canon will announce a replacement for the HV10 already. Maybe something else.......

Edit: Just noticed you said "consumer models" so that makes this post a little less pertinent. Sorry!
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2007, 06:49 PM   #28
Trustee

http://dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.ph...011#post601011
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders