DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV 10-Putting an end to a rumour! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/83157-hv-10-putting-end-rumour.html)

Lou Bruno January 4th, 2007 04:11 PM

HV 10-Putting an end to a rumour!

I live near Canon HDQTRS. on Long Island. I have good (if not GREAT) contacts within CANON.

There is NO new HV-10 type camera planned to be issued RIGHT NOW or is CANON discontinuing the HV-10 camera according to my source-NONE. The camera, along with the A-1 is selling like crazy.

PLEASE tell the BEST BUY people NOT to spread this rumour to enhance their sales of other brand of cameras. My source was not pleased to hear this.

What PROBABLY is happening in some stores is that other brands of cameras are not selling as fast as the CANON HV-10, so the other brands have to be cleared "off the shelf" before the inventory becomes obsolete.

Rich Dykmans January 4th, 2007 05:13 PM

Thanks for that info. I found it rather hard to believe myself (the discontinuation rumor) becasue it's just not good (or normal) business to do something like that unless there are safety issues. Besides it's a great little camera so it doesn't surprise me that it's selling that well.

Then again I raised my eyebrows when I heard the source!

Jonathan Phillips January 5th, 2007 12:28 AM

I didn't think Canon would be discontinuing the HV10. I could tell from websites and stock levels that either they were selling like crazy and they couldn't keep up with demand or they simply didn't make enough to meet demand.
This reminds me a bit of how a major store in the UK helped to kill off the Tivo sales by lack of product placement and spreading rumours of it's demise years before Tivo actually stopped producing boxes for the UK.

I think large stores sometimes forget what power they can have, tell enough people and the rumour soon spreads and people think 'oh there must be some truth in it'

Fergus Anderson January 8th, 2007 04:44 PM

I wonder with these new Sony, Samsung and JVC cams if Canon will anounce a new cam at CES?

Ken Ross January 8th, 2007 04:52 PM

Yup, the rumor never made any sense. Too good a camera selling too well.

Lou Bruno January 9th, 2007 10:35 PM

Canon introduced two consumerish-type cameras at CES that are not HDV.

So, my contact was correct.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fergus Anderson
I wonder with these new Sony, Samsung and JVC cams if Canon will anounce a new cam at CES?

Mike Horrigan February 1st, 2007 09:55 AM

What about the HV20?
Doesn't that pretty much spell the END for the HV10?

Chris Hurd February 1st, 2007 10:08 AM

Mike, you're replying to a thread that's almost a month old. At that time, it was perfectly accurate.

The HV10 isn't going away just yet. It remains current along with the HV20.

Mike Horrigan February 1st, 2007 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Mike, you're replying to a thread that's almost a month old. At that time, it was perfectly accurate.

The HV10 isn't going away just yet. It remains current along with the HV20.

Yes, I realize that. I was just wondering... what is going to happen to the HV10 at this point? Surely it must have to drop in price considerably? I was just checking for a friend of mine who doesn't want to spend as much as the HV20 is asking.

Still, this thread that is less than a month old stated that..
Quote:

There is NO new HV-10 type camera planned to be issued RIGHT NOW
It seems that this post was way off base.

I'm not trying to embarrass anyone, just trying to get some more information on what is going to happen to the HV10.

Thanks,

Mike

Chris Hurd February 1st, 2007 10:29 AM

He said "right now" about a month ago, and at the time, he was indeed correct. A month is actually a long time in this business. There was nothing wrong with his post when he made it back on January 4th.

Canon USA has not yet announced a price reduction for the HV10, but I'm willing to bet that they will pretty soon. One of our site sponsors, B&H, was selling the HV10 at the MacWorld expo a couple of weeks ago for $900. I think you can expect the same kind of HV10 price drop from other authorized Canon dealers shortly.

I'm sure it's the same kind of deal in Canada.

Mike Horrigan February 1st, 2007 10:34 AM

Thanks Chris, that's all I needed to know.

EDIT: I see he posted a new thread about it being discontinued!

PS - I emailed you a question about posting certain information on the HV20. I just wanted to check with you first.

Thanks,

Mike

Chris Hurd February 1st, 2007 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Horrigan
I emailed you a question ...

A search for your name through my mail boxes turns up nothing, sorry.

Mike Horrigan February 1st, 2007 11:03 AM

Odd? I did it through your profile...

Please email me at thehorrigans@rogers.com and I'll explain.

Thanks,

Mike

Chris Hurd February 1st, 2007 11:17 AM

Okay, I found it -- replied -- and will remove these off-topic posts directly.