DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV10 + FCP = Capture? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/84017-hv10-fcp-capture.html)

Elmer Lang January 16th, 2007 10:22 AM

HV10 + FCP = Capture?

Anyone having luck capturing HV10 to FCP? Is it separating into different files?

thanks,
elmer

Tomas Chinchilla January 16th, 2007 01:21 PM

What's your particular problem and what version of FCP are you using?

Elmer Lang January 16th, 2007 01:44 PM

I've had problems capturing that I imagine are due to hardware/software limitations (1.33ghz PowerBook/FCP 5.0.4),

But other threads here and elsewhere note similar problems - batch capture files split, only able to capture using HDV firewire (can't capture using Apple Intermediate), etc.

Since I plan on rectifying my hardware/software problems (MacBook Pro 2.33/FCP 5.1.2) I was wondering if there've been any successful stories, or if maybe a patch is needed and awaited.

thanks,
elmer

Tomas Chinchilla January 16th, 2007 02:57 PM

I am just wondering if it's not a settings related issues. Like the second tab of the "Log and Capture Tab".

Lee Wilson January 16th, 2007 05:03 PM

Try using iMovie HD - it says 'HDV 1080i' in the setup, but it is actually using the Apple Intermediate codec.

Just an idea.

Tomas Chinchilla January 16th, 2007 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee Wilson
Try using iMovie HD - it says 'HDV 1080i' in the setup, but it is actually using the Apple Intermediate codec.

Just an idea.

That will not only result in a format conversion but will take far more space than necessary.

Lee Wilson January 16th, 2007 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomas Chinchilla
That will not only result in a format conversion but will take far more space than necessary.

How does the intermediate codec convert - and what is it converting from ?

Tomas Chinchilla January 16th, 2007 06:56 PM

The Native HDV format is MPEG2, when you capture with FCPHD it wraps that MPEG2 so that it can edit it. In iMovie it takes that HDV and transcodes it into AIC and the resulting file is much much larger. MPEG2 @ 25MPS and AIC it's something much much higher.

Do a test capturing the same clip and you'll see the resulting size.

On the other hand, much people argue that the AIC conversion does not degrade quality but for some of us (I am a very picky person) we can actually see a difference.

Rich Dykmans January 16th, 2007 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomas Chinchilla

Do a test capturing the same clip and you'll see the resulting size.

On the other hand, much people argue that the AIC conversion does not degrade quality but for some of us (I am a very picky person) we can actually see a difference.

Yep, appears in my tests that file sizes are over twice as large and I have also seen some quality differences. My best transcoding results quality wise (of course it takes time) is HDV to DVCPro 720p60 via mpeg streamclip, (doesn't look too bad.)

Ramon Quesada January 17th, 2007 01:26 AM

APP or SV

I was editing with Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0 and not capture in separate files (extension Mpeg), but now with Sony Vegas 7 it can do it (.m2t files extension). The export configuration was in 1080i, now i.m going to try 720p. format that can produce better results, i hope.