HV-10 Discontinued after March 31st - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 1st, 2007, 02:19 PM   #16
Trustee

The HV10 still has one feature important to me. It's more compact. I can find a slim pouch or hard case to go on my belt when trail riding the motocrosser. The HV20 could be made to work but the flat sides of the HV10 make it easier to stow.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 02:24 PM   #17
Major Player

If the HV10 is priced about $100 less than the HV20 I could definitely see an average consumer choosing it. I'd say a fairly typical consumer doesn't own an external microphone nor understand what 24P really is. For them an HV10 would probably be a perfectly adequate vacation or baby cam.
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:31 PM   #18
Major Player

I guess I may be the only one who likes the form factor of the HV10 ... the typical camcorder configuration (like the HV20) where you slip your hand under the strap at 90 degrees to the ground is only comfortable when you hold it at shoulder level (or above) or at waist level (if you cradle it without using the strap). But the HV10's 45 degree angle strap allows me to hold the cam like I'm pointing a gun, so I can shoot comfortably in the range between waist and shoulder level ... I may get the HV20 for its extra features but I'm keeping the HV10 for its stick-in-your-pocket, grab-and-shoot convenience.

Plus it looks like an old-fashioned 8mm camera, kinda retro.
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:45 PM   #19
Major Player

The HV10 is quite a bit smaller than the HV20, although they weigh almost the same. This website has some comparison pictures of the two:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...131/canon1.htm

I'm also fine with the HV10 form factor and actually like it for the smaller size. I only wish it had the additional features of the HV20 and of course, a wider lens. If anything, just being able to turn off the AGC would have been nice.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:48 PM   #20
Major Player

Since the hv10 has been in production or a while now it probably costs less to make so if it's street price gets down to 800-850, I think it'll have killer sales with the average consumer. They won't be able to keep them in stock and would have dealt sony an HD death blow.

The hv20 already has a crazy market built in if it's 24p works right and comes off better than the V1U's, and probably every educational institution is gonna flip out once they hear of it.

24p, HD at that price to schools that typically had to spend 3k per camera might bring an age of OCPFS (a play on OLPC) or One Camera Per Film Student.
Evan C. King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:07 PM   #21
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Le
just being able to turn off the AGC would have been nice.
AGC is off when shooting in Tv (shutter priority) mode. Press the Exp. button to lock the iris where you want it, without gain.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 06:11 PM   #22
Major Player

AGC isn't off when in TV mode for me. I can bring drown the exposure, but I dont know what gain settings is being used.
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2007, 06:24 PM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Rognan
AGC isn't off when in TV mode for me. I can bring drown the exposure, but I dont know what gain settings is being used.
That's kind of my thought too but until Chris pointed out the Tv - Exposure lock trick I hadn't considered this cam could do full manual either. I wonder if it works that way for Av too? But certainly when you lock the exposure in one of the priority modes, gain is locked. As you say, you just don't know at what gain.

I really like Dave Lammey's point about being able to shoot at something other than shoulder level with the HV10. I had not considered that. With my HV10, I've only really felt I could get stable enough shots at telephoto lengths by pressing the viewfinder against my face and holding it with both hands.

The only problem I really have with the HV10 ergonomics is controlling the zoom slider. But the zoom rocker on my XH-A1 kinda sucks too (flimsy), might be no better on HV20, wait and see. I use the zoom ring on the XH-A1 which is the saviour, but the zoom rocker on my former Sony Z1 was the best. I felt adept enough with it to use the variable speed setting, whereas the XH-A1 and HV-10 I use fixed zoom speeds.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders