DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV-10 Discontinued after March 31st (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/84306-hv-10-discontinued-after-march-31st.html)

Lou Bruno January 19th, 2007 12:08 PM

HV-10 Discontinued after March 31st

I was personally advised that two new HDV models will be released after APRIL 1st. These cameras will appear like the SONY HC series with a rectangular look. Canon USA REP. advised me that the HV-10 will then be sold to exhaustion. It is my guess that it was made official at this point.

Even Solberg January 19th, 2007 12:14 PM

I doubt it. It would just about make this the shortest product cycle in history. Might be there are new cameras coming, but I doubt the HV 10 is going way just yet.

How long after April 1, by the way? 12 months? :)

Philip Williams January 19th, 2007 12:34 PM

Well certainly no surprise if some new models are hitting in a few months. Canon has really thinned out the products lately and needs to beef up the selection. If they drop the HV10 CMOS sensor into an Optura 50/60 body and integrate the 24F/30F HDV playback... I think I just might bite.

Jonathan Phillips January 19th, 2007 01:05 PM

Early April fools? 1st April??

Brad Vaughan January 19th, 2007 01:40 PM

What is this "24F/30F HDV playback" you speak of?

Philip Williams January 19th, 2007 01:43 PM

That's the progressive 24 and 30 fps modes of the Canon XH A1/G1 and XL H1. While the HV10 can't record in those modes, its ability to play back those modes from tape makes it an ideal and affordable deck to compliment those larger cams.

Brad Vaughan January 19th, 2007 01:51 PM

Thanks Philip.

And what is the benefit of these modes?

Not trying to frustrate you, I'm just interested in learning all I can about all this HD goodness!

Lou Bruno January 20th, 2007 03:03 PM

I wish you were right. But after my initial phone conversation in the other thread, the rep. stated that it was not going to happen. However, after CES, he was advised by Corp. Hdqtrs. that in fact it will be discontinued.
It was thoughtful of him to recontact me. I am only the messenger. :-)

HOWEVER, it was NOT discontinued last month nor this month or even will be next month, so BEST BUY was still wrong advising the customer that it is CURRENTLY discontinued.

My best advice is grab a camera now for the size will not be as small.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Even Solberg
I doubt it. It would just about make this the shortest product cycle in history. Might be there are new cameras coming, but I doubt the HV 10 is going way just yet.

How long after April 1, by the way? 12 months? :)

Mike Brown January 21st, 2007 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lou Bruno
My best advice is grab a camera now for the size will not be as small.

Small size and weight are the HV10's great merits for remote locations, such as wilderness areas and rock climbing videos.

However, the competing Sony HC3 weighs only 1.23 lbs, and the new HC7 is likely to be in the same ballpark. If Canon announces new models with a form factor resembling Sony's, there should still be some lightweight HD camcorders to choose from.

Enrico Sasso January 23rd, 2007 07:47 AM

Hi Lou,

according your info, I think I made the right thing to wait to buy HV10
until now.
I've been always disappointed about its pistol grip and no HDMI out.
If really the n.2 new models will be in the rectangular look like Sony HC3/7,
will have also I hope the HDMI out, the mic in and improved low light result, that will be my choice.

One point, I think for sure will not be positive: the price!
Now the HV10 have a market price round 900 USD.
The new ones available next April, will have a price like Sony HC7 so about 1300-1400 USD..............

P.se let us know if you'll have more news.

Luis A. Diaz January 23rd, 2007 04:09 PM

Did you say pistol grip?

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enrico Sasso
Hi Lou,

The Sony always "supports" the Canon in that Dept.
Enjoy!
Luis

Luis A. Diaz January 23rd, 2007 04:12 PM

Did you say pistol grip?

Quote:

Hi Lou,

The Sony always "supports" the Canon in that Dept.
Enjoy!
Luis

Enrico Sasso January 24th, 2007 08:09 AM

Hi Luis ,

I agree with you that Sony in the design of camcorders is over Canon.
Looking also your pictures, it's difficult to understand why in some cases a product is designed in a way that require later for users to find a solution to improve it.
About HV10 I've seen a lot of solutions to improve its stability, so advantages of low weight and dimension a lot of people spoken, has been vanished.
Wasn't better to build it in horizontal way at the beginning ?

I hope Canon, like Lou anticipated us with new models coming soon, realized it.

Luis A. Diaz January 24th, 2007 01:53 PM

Quote:

Hi Luis ,

I agree with you that Sony in the design of camcorders is over Canon.
Looking also your pictures, it's difficult to understand why in some cases a product is designed in a way that require later for users to find a solution to improve it.
About HV10 I've seen a lot of solutions to improve its stability, so advantages of low weight and dimension a lot of people spoken, has been vanished.
Wasn't better to build it in horizontal way at the beginning ?

I hope Canon, like Lou anticipated us with new models coming soon, realized it.

I agree with you in a certain way but customizing is a lot of fun also.
I would like to have seen an "accessory" like the ones depictated in the pics, but with a battery pack that you could use as a pistol grip and charger at the same time, this rig-up that I have works wonders on hand held tele shots.
Thank You for looking
Luis

Mike Teutsch February 1st, 2007 09:43 AM

Kind of looks like this thread was dead on correct about the demise of the HV10. After the HV20 comes out, who would buy the HV10, except at a discounted closeout price. HV20 == More features and a lower price!

Mike

Tom Roper February 1st, 2007 02:19 PM

The HV10 still has one feature important to me. It's more compact. I can find a slim pouch or hard case to go on my belt when trail riding the motocrosser. The HV20 could be made to work but the flat sides of the HV10 make it easier to stow.

Philip Williams February 1st, 2007 02:24 PM

If the HV10 is priced about $100 less than the HV20 I could definitely see an average consumer choosing it. I'd say a fairly typical consumer doesn't own an external microphone nor understand what 24P really is. For them an HV10 would probably be a perfectly adequate vacation or baby cam.

Dave Lammey February 1st, 2007 03:31 PM

I guess I may be the only one who likes the form factor of the HV10 ... the typical camcorder configuration (like the HV20) where you slip your hand under the strap at 90 degrees to the ground is only comfortable when you hold it at shoulder level (or above) or at waist level (if you cradle it without using the strap). But the HV10's 45 degree angle strap allows me to hold the cam like I'm pointing a gun, so I can shoot comfortably in the range between waist and shoulder level ... I may get the HV20 for its extra features but I'm keeping the HV10 for its stick-in-your-pocket, grab-and-shoot convenience.

Plus it looks like an old-fashioned 8mm camera, kinda retro.

Tim Le February 1st, 2007 03:45 PM

The HV10 is quite a bit smaller than the HV20, although they weigh almost the same. This website has some comparison pictures of the two:

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...131/canon1.htm

I'm also fine with the HV10 form factor and actually like it for the smaller size. I only wish it had the additional features of the HV20 and of course, a wider lens. If anything, just being able to turn off the AGC would have been nice.

Evan C. King February 1st, 2007 03:48 PM

Since the hv10 has been in production or a while now it probably costs less to make so if it's street price gets down to 800-850, I think it'll have killer sales with the average consumer. They won't be able to keep them in stock and would have dealt sony an HD death blow.

The hv20 already has a crazy market built in if it's 24p works right and comes off better than the V1U's, and probably every educational institution is gonna flip out once they hear of it.

24p, HD at that price to schools that typically had to spend 3k per camera might bring an age of OCPFS (a play on OLPC) or One Camera Per Film Student.

Chris Hurd February 1st, 2007 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim Le
just being able to turn off the AGC would have been nice.

AGC is off when shooting in Tv (shutter priority) mode. Press the Exp. button to lock the iris where you want it, without gain.

Holly Rognan February 1st, 2007 06:11 PM

AGC isn't off when in TV mode for me. I can bring drown the exposure, but I dont know what gain settings is being used.

Tom Roper February 1st, 2007 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holly Rognan
AGC isn't off when in TV mode for me. I can bring drown the exposure, but I dont know what gain settings is being used.

That's kind of my thought too but until Chris pointed out the Tv - Exposure lock trick I hadn't considered this cam could do full manual either. I wonder if it works that way for Av too? But certainly when you lock the exposure in one of the priority modes, gain is locked. As you say, you just don't know at what gain.

I really like Dave Lammey's point about being able to shoot at something other than shoulder level with the HV10. I had not considered that. With my HV10, I've only really felt I could get stable enough shots at telephoto lengths by pressing the viewfinder against my face and holding it with both hands.

The only problem I really have with the HV10 ergonomics is controlling the zoom slider. But the zoom rocker on my XH-A1 kinda sucks too (flimsy), might be no better on HV20, wait and see. I use the zoom ring on the XH-A1 which is the saviour, but the zoom rocker on my former Sony Z1 was the best. I felt adept enough with it to use the variable speed setting, whereas the XH-A1 and HV-10 I use fixed zoom speeds.