Is there a seperate "deck" for using to transfer files? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 19th, 2007, 09:39 PM   #1
Major Player

Is there a seperate "deck" for using to transfer files?

In other words is there a device I can use that I can transfer files off my tapes instead of using my Camera and wearing out the heads?

Something like a mini DV vcr type deck?
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:08 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes there are. The problem with them is that they cost 2.5 to 5 times as much as the HV10. Many people that own the more expensive Canon HD cameras are buying the HV10 to use as a deck for their cameras. The HV10 is the best alternative to use as a deck for these cameras because it is the only thing that will play back the 24 and 30 frame per second streams as well as 60i.
Lloyd Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2007, 11:20 PM   #3
Major Player

Ouch!

Now I understand what they mean when they say they are using the HV10 as a deck.

Thanks
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 11:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

If I remember correctly it was a good 3 to 4 years before inexpensive miniDV consumer type decks started hitting the market from that format's introduction.

Hopefully given the facts that HDV transports are essentially miniDV with different electronics, firewire is pretty well established with much cheaper licensing fees and consumer HDV cams will be proliferating wildly this year, we'll see consumer stlye HDV decks sooner then later. The hot setup (at least in my mind) would be a combo HDV / HD/Blue-ray burner setup under a grand. The whole uncertainty of the HD DVD wars probably isn't helping the mfg'ers get their new products designed.
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2007, 12:29 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

You're not going to wear out the heads of your HV10 by using it in VCR mode.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders