HV20 now on Canon Japan web site - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 31st, 2007, 07:41 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hardy
Do the black magic cards come in an "external" version for use with laptops?
I asked the same question a while back and I was told there was an 'external' or 'breakout box' HDMI interface - not sure if it was from black magic or not ?
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 08:15 AM   #17
Major Player

The HDMI port is on the back of the camcorder which is nice. Also there is a focus assist button on the LCD bezel. Wonder how this works.

On the Internet there are reports that this camera is actually recording true 24p (in a 60i stream of course) video because it has a progressive imager. Similar to 24f but actually 24p, that would be something if it turns out to be true. Also reports say the cinematic mode and 24p mode can be used together or each separately. Again, we'll see.
Wes Vasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:14 AM   #18
Regular Crew

it's 24p using 2:3 pull down.

Camcorderinfo has it on their front page.

This camera could be as big as when the digital Rebel was released into the DSLR market.

I was going to get the Sony HC7, but now I have to wait till March.

-Kris G
Kris Galuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:24 AM   #19
Major Player

Kris, it does seem it is true 24p as stated by Canon in their press release, I did see the CI report but was waiting for the Canon press release before I got my hopes up. I was looking at the HC7 or the HV10 and boy am I glad I waited.

Microphone input, HDMI, HV10 image quality with better low light, 24p, among other features. And a low, low, low price. Exciting.
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:32 AM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

Here's a full copy of the Canon USA press release, Wes:

http://www.hdvinfo.net/articles/cano...essrelease.php

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:38 AM   #21
Trustee

Even if the 24P is recorded into 60i I'm sure if I mind very much. With HDMI we should be able to in theory get a full raster 1920x1080 image at 4:2:2 color and 24p sitting in 60i. We would then just need to remove the pulldown via either software or a product such as Cineform. This is the only HDV camera on the market that can offer this level of quality in a studio environment.

Does anybody know if this camera or the HV10 had a sharpness setting to reduce the electronic sharpening? If it does this could very well be the ultimate keying camera.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 09:42 AM   #22
Major Player

Thanks for posting that Chris. I like the fact that the 24p recording mode and cine mode seem to be seperate features.

Thomas, I agree about the in-camera sharpening. My Canon point and shoot digital camera has a low-sharpening filter, not sure what it's actually doing but the images are absolutely stunning. Being able to turn down or off the sharpening on the HV20 would be pretty handy. There appears to be a low sharpening filter on the HV10 but I don't know what it actually does. The HV10 manual simply says "Records subjects with softened outlines".
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:02 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Wow................. :-)

This looks like the year consumer HD finally 'gets real'.

Big congrats to Canon
JohnG
John Godden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:10 AM   #24
Major Player

Canon's website comparison lists the HV20 having "Manual Focus Assist Functions: Magnifying, Peaking" and the HV10 not having this. Does this explain the focus assist button on the LCD bezel, would seam so. Lens and LCD seem to be exactly the same. HV10 is .97 lb, HV20 is 1.2 lbs. The HV10 comes with the BP-310 battery and the HV20 comes with the BP-2L13, both come with the same power supply.
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:28 AM   #25
Major Player

I love this company. First the XH A1 to totally blow out the 3-4K pro level. Now this thing to button up the bottom end.

I knew Canon was up to something when they released the Optura 40 - no one could touch the manual audio controls, focus ring and 1/3" sensor in such an affordable package. Canon is consistently releasing cameras that appear to pack as much punch as they can squeeze in for the best price possible. Its really refreshing to see a manufacturer listen to customers and deliver outstanding product rather than putting product divisions first to protect higher priced models.

I am so getting one of these later this year.
Old January 31st, 2007, 10:45 AM   #26
Major Player

One of the great things is, we will be able to use a 1/24th shutter to get even more light.

For a consumer cam, this is nearly flawless.
From a professional standpoint, it will be able to keep up with the big boys. From specs alone, the resolution will be as good as the XLH1, and the lowlight almost as good.

This is revolutionary in every aspect, it looks like they are somewhat applying Apples busines model of performance/price/quality for every market segment. They will clean house with this, no other manufacturer can even come close to this right now.

I am sure that Panasonic has something up their sleeves (Hybrid DVC30-DVX100 with HD with 24p mpeg-4) but they were probably looking at a $2,500-$3,500 price point for a camcorder like that. This quickly forces the price down, or requires manufacturers to pack in all the features they can imagine to compete.

Does this mean that we will be seeing 1/2 to 2/3 Cmos chips in the sub $10,000 range within the next few years?
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:02 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly Rognan
Does this mean that we will be seeing 1/2 to 2/3 Cmos chips in the sub $10,000 range within the next few years?
that would be nice.. with variable frame rates :)
Owen Meek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:08 AM   #28
Major Player

With this new cam...there really are no more excuses.

There are going to be a lot less inane discussion threads about needing film look, widescreen, microphone input, HD and which cam can do this at this price...etc etc.

Another hidden benefit of this cam! :-)
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:13 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Agreed... they basically addressed every complaint so far re the HV10.
Form factor/button layout, mic in/hotshoe, low light, battery life, HDMI, 24p ... all apparently fixed.
And still great price. (Circuit City leaked page listed $1100.)

My only complaint now is that I want to buy it , but I already paid first-adopter price for the HV10! sigh :)
Colin Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 11:24 AM   #30
Major Player

These camcorders hold their value very well. I'm sure you could sell your HV10 and not be out that much money. That's what I would do.
Wes Vasher is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders