HV20 now on Canon Japan web site at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old January 30th, 2007, 10:32 PM   #1
Obstreperous Rex

HV20 now on Canon Japan web site

See http://cweb.canon.jp/ivis/hv20/index.html

English translation link via Google Language tools...

What do you make of it? Guess I'll have to re-name the forum.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

A couple of still photo samples... http://cweb.canon.jp/ivis/still-sample/index.html#hv20

Old January 30th, 2007, 10:44 PM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Tech Specs in English via Google Language tools...

Old January 30th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #4
Major Player

from the tech spech...

Scanning system = Progressive

?

cinema mode ?

:)

+ Mac OS X support ! :)

Mic input

headphone output

+ HDMI

Old January 30th, 2007, 11:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Very interesting. It looks like it uses the exact same sensor and optical block from the HV10. The cinema mode is a separate mode (P, Tv, Av, Cinema) and it appears to record 24 fps but in 60i, kind of like the Sony V1. The sensor is natively progressive like the HV10 so I guess pulldown is being added? The camera definitely only records in HDV 1080/60i but it can play back 24F and 30F (it says this specifically under the accessory page). There also appears to be an exposure dial by the lens but no manual focus ring. There's HDMI, mic in, headphone out but no LANC. In terms of weight (camcorder only), the HV20 is 18.9 oz and the HV10 is 15.5 oz.

Kind of a homely looking camera but the controls are probably a little better to handle than the HV10. Man, I don't see why the HV10 could not have had the 24 fps in 60i in the first place. That's really messed up Canon! Oh well.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:04 AM   #6
Major Player

The translation is very bad, but check this out:

If it chooses the frame rate of 24 scenes and photographs with cinema mode, image expression of cinema pitch is possible easily. Child way memory like the one scene of the movie it can leave.

There is no way this records 24f, if it does I would buy at least two, I can't wait to see the real specs in english.

The biggest thing I would like as an improvement is better lowlight and from the looks of this, it has better controls. Possibly an iris, zoom and focus controller on the side. Nice touch. I am excited about this little cam, even though I just bought the HV10 a few days ago.
Holly Rognan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:13 AM   #7
Major Player

It also says the lux rating is at 3 (when the shutter is at 1/30) which isn't shabby at all.

I wonder what else Canon has in store at the $1,500-$2,500 mark.
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:18 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I compared the google-translated spec pages for the HV20 and the HV10, and both say "Scanning system: progressive", so don't get hopes up there.

THe HV20 light sensitivity is apparently 3lux (vs 5lux for hv10), roughly same for night mode...

lens is 43mm not 37mm(hv10)...

AE function has Cinema mode, something about 24f, prob as noted below...

mic input (plus adv. hotshoe, shows light as well), headphone output doubling on the A/V output

HDMI output (apparently still has component out also, but for the Japanese "D" plug version, I would assume US version would have Y/Pr/Pb plugs as now)

Appears to have lower power usage (4.5w rec w/ LCD vs 5w, playback 3.6w w/ LCD vs 4.3w p);
this appears to reflect MUCH better battery life: almost 2x?
?typical near 2hrs record time for HDV record (vf or lcd), vs HV10's 1hr 10min...
larger 214 batt is 2:30ish instead of 2hrs..

Hard to see on the fast flash animation, but looks like the more standard horizontal form-factor controls, like my old Optura Pi, eg zoom control on top rear nicely under index finger, w/ still pic button next to it etc... top dial seems to pic scene mode, rather than a menu?

Looks like some scroll dial/menu button (or manual focus??) is on the left front near lens barrel, by a backlit button. Function & set buttons are on the back face w/ record button. Looks like the set button, is actually a 4-way joystick type thing?

Card vs tape switch is on the right rear side, I think next to auto/P mode switch?
Colin Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:39 AM   #9
Major Player

That is great that the lux rating has been improved so much. Hopefully it isn't just marketing, considering that it uses the same sensor and same optics.

With that rating it would probably be nipping at the heels of my A1, and with the possibility of 24f? This camera would be one of the best selling cameras of all time. It looks like they took care of most of the limitations of the HV10 and upgraded the entire cam, at a lower price.
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:44 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gould
I compared the google-translated spec pages for the HV20 and the HV10, and both say "Scanning system: progressive", so don't get hopes up there.
But progressive is what we want! On that page where they talk about the cinema mode there is a footnote that says:

"*Converted to 60i, it is recorded"

Since the camera can only record in 60i, I take that to mean they are adding pulldown to get the 24P into 60i as the sensor is natively progressive. But this is purely speculation based on sketchy translations so who knows, maybe I'm wrong and it's just some "cinema-like" gimmick effect instead of true 24P acquisition. If it really does do 24P in 60i and all you have to do is remove the pulldown, this would be huge news for all the XH-A1/G1 shooters. Not only do you get a cheap deck, you get a cheap B camera that could match the same motion cadence as if filming in 24F.

It seems likely the lens is the same since the sensor size, focal length range and aperture are all identical (not very wide at all). It's just the filter mounting ring is larger. They do say it has 15 zoom speeds while on the Canon USA site they say the HV10 only has 5 zoom speeds.
Tim Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 12:58 AM   #11
Wrangler

This camera on a Merlin--mind-blowing. Much better form factor for this use than the HV10.
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:07 AM   #12
Major Player

This will cut into the FX-7 sales if it does 24f and is so cheap. It would even cut into the A1 sales a bit.

Does this use the same batteries as the HV10?

Typically, how long does it take for canon Japanese camcorders to reach our market? Two weeks, two months,..never?
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:13 AM   #13
Major Player

With the HDMI output - a good fast laptop in your rucksack and a HDMI capture card like the 'black magic' - you can capture full 1920*1080 straight from the sensor without HDV compression.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 01:41 AM   #14
New Boot

Do the black magic cards come in an "external" version for use with laptops?
Jim Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:00 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Wow, perfect! A optura look-alike!

And 24F? Never saw that coming!
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders