Canon HV20 Press Release, Overview and more - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 11th, 2007, 05:48 PM   #106
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yi Fong Yu
the only barrier to using this on indie/negative budget shoots is getting cast/crew to respect the size of the cam. it's so small that they'll just brush it off...
Unless, of course, you are shooting a 'Bowfinger' style movie where your lead actor does not even know they are in it!
Andrew King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 01:25 PM   #107
Regular Crew

get a redrock or cinevate adapter and get rid of your 3ccd cam. :))
Rati Oneli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 08:51 PM   #108
Regular Crew

so besides 24p, what other progressive modes does the hv20 record at?
Jaser Stockert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:53 PM   #109
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaser Stockert
Reading the manual, the only option besides 60i that seems available is "pf24" which is 24p put into the 60i signal through 2:3 pulldown (although the manual doesn't say all that.)
Jesse Bekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:07 AM   #110
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaser Stockert
24p is the only progressive mode on the HV20.

As Jesse points out above, it is referred to as pf24 in the camera menu.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:26 AM   #111
Major Player

Well, there's 25p too. . . ;-) (I know I'm referring the PAL version LOL)

BTW, is there any information on the shutter speed over 25p? Chris?
Mathieu Kassovitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:20 AM   #112
Regular Crew

Has anyone been able to confirm that we are definetly going to get an uncompressed feed out of the HDMI when shooting? If so I'm going to pull the trigger on buying one right now.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:56 AM   #113
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Kassovitz
Well, there's 25p too. . . ;-)
My apologies... I am embarrassed now. Of course there's 25p. Sometimes I forget just how large the European and Australian readership is around here! I haven't seen a copy of the PAL / 50i version of the HV20 owner's manual yet, so I'm not exactly sure what the shutter speeds will be. Certainly it will have 1/25th and 1/50th though.

For Rob, I don't think it could be anything other than uncompressed output over HDMI, but of course nobody knows for sure until the camera comes out or Canon says something (in my experience the former usually happens before the latter).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:35 AM   #114
Regular Crew

I am assuming that is has to be uncompressed as well, Otherwise there would be a time delay on the signal. The other thing that I am trying to figure out is if the signal coming out of the HDMI is 4:2:2 8 bit. I am planning on grabbing it with a Blackmagic Intensity and I know that is what is supported by the card. But what I am wondering is if the card is recording 8bit off a 10bit signal or if the signal itself is 8 bit. Eitherway this will be a mind blowing setup.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:52 PM   #115
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
My apologies... I am embarrassed now. Of course there's 25p. Sometimes I forget just how large the European and Australian readership is around here! I haven't seen a copy of the PAL / 50i version of the HV20 owner's manual yet, so I'm not exactly sure what the shutter speeds will be. Certainly it will have 1/25th and 1/50th though.

For Rob, I don't think it could be anything other than uncompressed output over HDMI, but of course nobody knows for sure until the camera comes out or Canon says something (in my experience the former usually happens before the latter).
I am really hoping that 25p will do higher than 50 shutter speed - 120 would be really useful for the saving private ryan style shots. The hv10 already looks progressive at 25 shutter speed
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 01:30 PM   #116
Regular Crew

30p via 1/30th Shutter?

In this or another thread someone has asserted that using a 1/30th shutter gives you a 30p progressive picture. Is this true?

I often use 1/30th shutter on my GL-2 (in frame mode) to give me another stop of low-light capability. The motion signature looks about the same, even for high motion subjects such as dance. The only drawback is that the auto-focus suffers.
Tom Voigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 03:53 AM   #117
Regular Crew

so how is panning in 24p? will it be a little stutter as opposed to 30p/60p(which isn't avail)?
Old February 24th, 2007, 12:41 PM   #118
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Bekas
Reading the manual, the only option besides 60i that seems available is "pf24" which is 24p put into the 60i signal through 2:3 pulldown (although the manual doesn't say all that.)

Is this correct? The Canon 24F in HDV is not recorded this way on the XLH1. It is recorded to tape as 24F in HDV. It is recorded 60I with 2:3 Pull down in 24F DV. The camera does output HD this way through the SDI port but firewire outputs a 24F file.
Sony's new HDV 24P does record 24p to the 60I signal with pulldown so the recordings are not compatible.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:34 PM   #119
Regular Crew

so i've read all and any info on the hv20. so am i correct that the camera shoots only in 1080 60i and 1080 24p?

what about the suggestion from above about 1/30th shutter. will this be the same as the gl2's 30p frame mode?

my use is mainly shooting interiors of homes consisting of maily slow pans and zooms and using the homeowner's lighting lamps and flourescents.

so lowlight and panning are a concern for me. is this the right camera for me? thanks for any feedback. =)
Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:43 PM   #120
Trustee

The camera also shoots in regular DV mode (480). PQ of the HV10 is superb, so we expect at least that from the HV20 except for improved lowlight, 24p shooting, mike input, headphone output, HDMI out etc. It should be superb! Yes, if you like HD, this camera is for you!
Ken Ross is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders