Average user..which one? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:20 PM   #1
New Boot

Average user..which one?

First off - Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this question. I would like to replace my ageing Optura. I am not a budding film maker or film student. Just someone who likes Canon and tries to get the best available features that I can afford and maybe grow into. Of course a good product as well. The HV20 fits the bill perfect right? 24p mode/HDMI/hot shoe/increased low light performance - though for the "average Joe" overkill??? For me at least, next to great quality video, features, then convienience is very important. To be honest, it is a pain for me to lug around the camera - but if I dont have it, I regret it afterwards. That is why I keep thinking about the HV10. So my question is - are all the great new features the 20 offer well worth the larger size and different style?? Again, for your average consumer??? or is the "stealth" of the 10, along with its great video quality good enough for birthdays and family vacations?

Thanks in advance for any opinions,

Rapo
Rapo Nazarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2007, 11:26 PM   #2
Major Player

I think the HV10 would do wonders for you. It's a smaller size and packs a Big HDV punch.

The HV20 is gonna offer some more useful features, but if you are looking for portability and great IQ, then the HV10 will not dissappoint.

IMHO, of course.

I absolutely adore my HV10. I take it everywhere with me because you never know when that "magical" shot is gonna happen and with the HV10, you will be HDV ready when it does!
Brad Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 11:36 AM   #3
Regular Crew

For you, I'd say it comes down much more to personal preference for size/form factor and ergonomics. The primary features are identical (unless your TV only has HDMI in, or you really need a mic.)

I tend to prefer "horizontal" form factor like my Optura Pi, and not the vertical ones like the HV10, so I'm twitching over the hv20 :)
that be said, the HV10 *truly* does fit in your pocket, is lightweight, and so far I've adapted pretty well to the vertical style and the small buttons. Zoom buttons are still a bit awkward. But, the hv20 might be a bit large to carry so easily (right now my old case is too big for the hv10 and I'm nervous w/ it just in a pocket, so either one is portable)

Wait til some come out in the store, and try them in your hands.
It does take a few tries to get used the the hv10 vertical & small button layout if you're not used to that style, so try a few times.
Colin Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 01:02 PM   #4
Major Player

For just home video stuff my opinion is that sound is hugely important. A small boom mic will do wonders for your video. Sound is such a huge part of taking video and that's why I'd go with the HV20 for my home movie stuff. Also, there is a little Canon boom mic that plugs into the hot shoe port so you can't beat that for convenience. Just something to think about.
Wes Vasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2007, 05:59 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Vasher
For just home video stuff my opinion is that sound is hugely important. A small boom mic will do wonders for your video. Sound is such a huge part of taking video and that's why I'd go with the HV20 for my home movie stuff. Also, there is a little Canon boom mic that plugs into the hot shoe port so you can't beat that for convenience. Just something to think about.
I think this is an excellent point and a more important one than perhaps most people realise.
If i was in the market for either an Hv10 or an HV20, the MIC IN socket alone would swing my decision for the HV20, but different people have different priorities and requirements of course.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2007, 12:40 AM   #6
New Boot

The most important thing is that either product will be a huge improvement from my Optura. But I guess for me its seeing wether or not the saying "what I dont know wont hurt me" holds true for either cam?

Size, is VERY important, and thats easy for me to quantify and say "yeah, that is small and handy, and I dont mind dragging it around , or I can live with the small buttons", but I also think I would enjoy the improved sound capabilities and low light performance. Will I really need/want or even notice that something is lacking (HV10) or improved (HV20)with sound and low light performance (by the way, I often tape indoors in less then perfect lighting - and I have NEVER seen personal footage from a mid to high range DV camera- thats the part of "dont know")

On the flip side, will the HV10 be that much smaller and convenient then the HV20? or will I/can I survive with the slightly larger form factor? (and yes I know, this is often personal preference) but if I have to drage a large camera and bag all day to have the camera around, I will be less likely to want to take it with me, so no matter what options the camera has, it will be useless sitting at home?

Again, Thanks for all the opinions given,

Rapo
Rapo Nazarko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #7
New Boot

Just ordered the HV20

Well, I couldn't resist the latest and greatest, so I "pre-ordered" from Onecall.com. I have ordered from there before and have had good luck with them, PLUS I can cancel before it ships if I want without any charge! (just in case I get buyers remorse - yeah right!) Now its just sit and wait.....bummer.
Rapo Nazarko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders