HV20 + SONY HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder Possible?... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old February 9th, 2007, 12:28 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HV20 + SONY HVR-DR60 Hard Disk Recorder Possible?...

Owning now an HV10 and being absolutely in love with it, I will be upgrading to the HV20 as soon as it comes as it adds several features like progressive recording that I always wished for. However, the workflow of tape based video capture and editing for me now-a-days is becoming completely pre-historic and, the biggest gripe for me on the HV20 is that it is still a DV tape based machine instead of using a hard disk or a memory card of some sort.

I am hoping that it will be possible to combine the HV20 with Sony's HVR-DR60 60Gb Hard Disk Recorder but, I have no clue if that is possible or/and what limitations I will face.

I'd like to get some insight and advice regarding the feasibility of such a setup from some of you that know so much more about this stuff than I do :) as I really hope that matching the HV20 with the Sony Hard Disk based solution would bring the best of both world's into one (still fairly portable) setup that would free me from the use of tape.

Thanks to all in advance! :)

Lorry
Lorry Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 02:04 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Lorry. Where will you be storing all your disk captured raw video ? You need to consider that before making the move to tapeless. Tape is still the champ, in my opinion for safest storage.
Old February 9th, 2007, 02:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos
Lorry. Where will you be storing all your disk captured raw video ? You need to consider that before making the move to tapeless. Tape is still the champ, in my opinion for safest storage.
Chris, I'd like to have the same workflow I have when shooting with the HVX200. I can delete on camera the takes i don't like and only keep the good ones. Then, basically transfer the individual clips onto my computer and then use them for editing. Once edited I don't need the original footage and just delete it. Tape requires long capuring jobs. Usually I end-up storing my final cuts as WMD-HD or Quicktime HD movies.
Lorry Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 04:09 AM   #4
Major Player

Buy a cheap laptop with a fast internal hard drive and a firewire port.
Lee Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 07:56 AM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

It's not necessary to "give up" tape when choosing a tapeless recording option. You could simply roll tape at the same time that you're recording to a FireWire hard drive, which gives you the best of both worlds: the convenience of edit-ready files with no time expense for ingest; and the twin advantages of a back-up copy / archive on tape.

Moving to tapeless does not mean that you're giving up tape. Tapeless recording is in addition to, not a substitute for, recording to tape... as long as there's a tape transport in the camcorder.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 09:23 AM   #6
Trustee

It is my understanding that the HVR-DR60 will in fact work with any HDV camera that has firewire output. With that said however it was brought to my attention that the device will not start up as fast as it does with the newer SONY cameras. With the SONY cameras a perfect instant sync between the video on the hard drive and the video on a tape is possible. With other HDV cameras this link may not happen. I'm not sure if this is a big deal or not or if it is just a marketing thing from SONY. Maybe somebody else can tell you if the sync has been an issue for them with other recorders such as the Firestore.
Thomas Smet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #7
Inner Circle

I agree with CH above, its like a belt and suspenders approach. But the way this thread starts out, in the HV20 realm, it seems like expense is a big issue. That was my concern in indicating Lorry needed to consider that.
Old February 9th, 2007, 01:54 PM   #8
Trustee

Sorry, Wrong thread
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders