Pre ordered last week. Anyone with a Brevis35 getting one? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 24th, 2007, 03:43 AM   #16
Major Player

Robert, it's true...our focus right now is generally technical, and less on the marketing side. Getting 100% caught up with all the orders has been priority one, and we're pretty happy to be about two weeks from that. That said, we've got guys like Paul Nordin posting up spectaclular HVX work with the Brevis far beyond any shooting I'll ever do. There are also plenty of great clips available from the cinevate forum footage section. If you haven't seen Paul's work, Bob Gundu's work, or Phil Bloom's "Homeless Portraits" you're not seeing the adapter at it's best.

Our web site will be unrecognizable in a few weeks...lots coming on that front.

To be honest, the vertical blue/yellow fringing issue with the bare XH-A1, is restraining me from posting a ton of outdoors/wide footage from it, and a big problem for testing. To post the wide shots from the adapter, despite being tack sharp, is also to post shots of blue fringing at high contrast peripheral areas of the frame. Rather than endless explanations about the Brevis itself not being the cause, I'd rather post footage from a clean cam. These are issues obviously that are not noticeable to most viewers, but for me, they're glaring problems. I'm currently working on an answer from Canon and have brought the issue to the attention of the guys at Leo's Camera's to work on with the Canon rep here in Canada. I've done enough testing with the A1 to know the issue is not going away with preset tweaking, aperture/zoom tuning, or even lower exposure levels. Best guess from the shop is that it's the A1 lens, combined with HDV encoding at 4:2:0 that's the likely culprit.

I'm really hoping the HV20 can do better as far as the fringing issue goes.

John, all you'd need is the HD adapter itself ordered with the Nikon mount. We'll be stocking the step up rings sets for the HV20 by next week or so. The Pelican case and charger/DC adapter is still part of the basic kit.
Dennis Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #17
Major Player

excellent Dennis, thanks,
(I also wonder which diffuser screen you would personally recommend)

Thank You,
J
John Benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 08:23 AM   #18
Major Player

I'd recommend imaging elements pretty much based on what type of shooting you're planning. Paul (clips posted above) used CF1 in all of the clips posted and was using wide angle lenses, and lenses stopped down (deeper DOF) for steadicam work in the shots. Phil Bloom used CF1 for his "Homeless Portraits" bascially as it has outstanding light efficiency..and he was shooting with natural, or available light only. For moody dialogue type shoots where max shallow DOF is desired, CF3 would be my choice.

We have something very interesting coming from the prototype program in about two weeks. I suspect it may slot in where CF2 used to be...but with the ability to use slower/longer lenses with zero vignette. This one is taking a bit longer due to the need for some specialized equipment that didn't exist two months ago :-)
Old March 24th, 2007, 10:02 AM   #19
Major Player

Hmm, not sure who posted this up...but a quick HV20 clip with the Brevis. Wow.
Old March 24th, 2007, 11:12 AM   #20
Major Player

Great to hear that the site will overhauled.

Marketing is oh-so important! Speaking of which, as for the XH-A1 footage - I understand. I've downloaded some nicely composed shots taken with the XH-A1 and in every shot, man oh man, the fringing chromatic aberration. I'm pretty sure it's the lens, and yes, I'm sure people would have something in their mind "I don't want a Brevis if it does this" - even though it wouldn't. It's a shame, and a flaw of the lens.

The 1920x1080 HV20 footage shot with a "naked" camera looks good - no aberrations that I've seen. Interesting idea.. getting an HV20 and a Brevis and still attaining the resolution that XH-A1 achieves without that nasty effect due to the poor lens on the camera.. hmm.
Old March 24th, 2007, 01:41 PM   #21
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Wood View Post
I'm really hoping the HV20 can do better as far as the fringing issue goes.
Dennis, there is no fringing issue on either the HV10 or the new HV20. I've got both and I've seen shot after shot with the Canon A1 that shows the fringing you're talking about. In fact it would probably keep me from buying an A1. So I'd bet it's more a function of the A1 lens than HDV since neither of the small Canon HDV units show it.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #22
Regular Crew

That HV20 and Brevis footage is sick!

Any more news on this? Who did it? It's a small file, but it looks incredible.
Geoff Murrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 02:55 PM   #23
Major Player

No word on it yet, but it was sitting on our private ftp only accessible to Brevis owners. The HV20 footage is very clean. I should say that although a lot of A1 users have mentioned the blue fringing...I've only personally only seen my own tests.
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:06 PM   #24
Regular Crew

HV20 vs. A1 with a Brevis

So the link in your last post didn't work Dennis, but I assume it's the same as the one you posted two or three posts back.

I haven't followed this enough, so I figured I'd just ask. What are the problems, if any, with the Brevis and the A1? And if there is some sort of fringing or artifacting, does it seem to be apparent on the HV20 with Brevis footage. The actual footage I just watched looked breathtaking. But it was a very brightly lit piece, and compressed as a smaller, perhaps more forgiving file.

I'd lover to see this Brevis stuff as 1080p files.

thanks,

EDIT - just read through this thread(was too lazy to read it before!) and I understand the whole fringing issue now Dennis. Perhaps this HV20 and a Brevis is the way to go? Hmmmm.
Geoff Murrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 03:26 PM   #25
Regular Crew

One more thing...

Brevis, HV20, and this...

http://www.focusinfo.com/solutions/catalog.asp?id=3

The big 100 gig one. Check out all the formats it can record to! These three items would make a killer buget 24P HD system.
Geoff Murrin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders