Does HV20 shoot 30fps progressive at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 7th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #1
New Boot

Does HV20 shoot 30fps progressive

Hello. I plan on buying the HV20 when it becomes available. I know people are excited about the 24P option, but does the unit also capture video at 30P? Since the imager is a progressive one, I don't see why not.
Carlos Barbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Carlos, I don't see why not either, but unfortunately it does not do 30P.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 03:02 PM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Hi Carlos, I don't see why not either, but unfortunately it does not do 30P.
So the HV20 does 24P but is only capable of 30i? That seems quite odd. It's like taking a step backwards since you're starting out with a progressive imager.
Carlos Barbino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:42 AM   #4
Trustee

I messed with an HV-20 at the canon booth at PMA today, and I asked this exact question. The girl (she was awfully young) said "yes it does". I offered a raised eyebrow, and she whipped out the talking points Canon had given her that morning and it said, right there in xerox black and white, 24p and 30F....now I should have payed closer attention, cause it might have just said "plays 30f" but she seemed to think it said it did in fact shoot it....so FWIW....sorry I was actually more interested in the new 1d mark III (which at 10fps/10 megapixels is almost a ultra hi def video camera).
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Goyette View Post
now I should have payed closer attention, cause it might have just said "plays 30f" but she seemed to think it said it did in fact shoot it....so FWIW....sorry I was actually more interested in the new 1d mark III (which at 10fps/10 megapixels is almost a ultra hi def video camera).
I think the HV20 will be able to play 24f and 30f so you can use it as a deck for the larger cameras so I'm not surpriced if she was wrong about it being able to shoot 30f. The manual says nothing about 30f from what I can see.

And I think video has to move with at least 15fps for the eye to see it as a moving image, but they're getting there. Maybe 1d mark VII will shoot 24fps/25fps. :) I wonder if the line between still cameras and video cameras will be erased on that day. The only difference might be that the exposure varys a tad from shot to shot with a still camera so you might get that pulsating light if you put them in a sequence.
How's that for off topic? :D
Ron Lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:29 AM   #6
Major Player

Hold on, if that new 1D can do 10fps at 10 megapixels, then surely they could give you the option of shooting higher frame rates such as 24fps at 3 megapixels which would still be HD. Or maybe they're aware they could do that, but choose not to so they're not taking sales away from their video division? Then again, there'd be no audio to go with it.
Glenn Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:24 AM   #7
Trustee

glenn,

while the data throughput is certainly there, it does rely on a pretty big buffer to achieve that rate..meaning it can only keep up for maybe 5 seconds....so that's problem one. Problem two is of course all the mechanisms in between...shutter, mirror, cocking mechanism...These shutters I think are good for about 200k exposures...which would be eaten up by the end of your first feature. And I doubt, you could get a mirror up and down 24 times each second. You'd probably need a rotating system, which starts to make this more like a cine camera rather than a still dslr.

However, I think we are headed in the direction of still and video cameras being one and the same...note the absence of a "mode" switch on the new TX-1.
Barry Goyette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:52 AM   #8
Regular Crew

you could try several cmaeras synced to make 30fps? If you used 50mm lenses so angle of view was less of an issue and then had a program which auomatically cropped the pictures to line them up then you could make a film...possibly.
Toby Creamer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders