HV10 overexposing question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 12th, 2007, 02:34 AM   #1
Major Player

HV10 overexposing question

I like to buy a PAL HV10, but watching some test video, i see that hv10 doesnt have a big dynamic range. For example while filming a landscape, the subject is OK, but the clouds are over exposed. I have read that cmos sensor can better handle HDR than ccd. Is this true? Then why is the sky overexposed? Maybe a polarfilter can help this?
I know a graduated gray can help, but i dont link the effect.
thx
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

i played around with this camera for 20hours now..AUTO exposure is very good at daylight and even indoor if you and enough luminance auto is perfect setting. cloudy day or night shot is tricky...with hv10
you need to use portrait mode or manual exposure.
Jung Kyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:09 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I just spent a weekend shooting a lot of snow scenes, which is tough on any camera. The auto exposure tended to underexpose (which is normal) and the snow setting tended to overexpose which is also. I used an ND.6 and shot manual, finding +3 to +4 was about right. I'd start showing zebras and then back off 1 click. Dark parts of the scene remained reasonably well exposed.
Rich Dykmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #4
Go Cycle

Portrait mode will give you an improper DOF. Your foreground will be in focus and the background blurry or less focused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jung Kyu View Post
i played around with this camera for 20hours now..AUTO exposure is very good at daylight and even indoor if you and enough luminance auto is perfect setting. cloudy day or night shot is tricky...with hv10
you need to use portrait mode or manual exposure.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders