DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV10 weaknesses (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/88808-hv10-weaknesses.html)

Steve Whitlow March 12th, 2007 09:05 PM

HV10 weaknesses

So I've been doing a good bit of research, reading all the posts in here etc. I've really narrowed it down to the HV10 or 20. For what I'll be doing with it (family, amatuer hour etc), and with the few extra hundred I'll save going with the 10 (as opposed to the 20); the few things that are different, sound, HDMI aren't that important to me.

However, at first, I thought the lack of an HDMI port was a deal breaker, but then I played with one today and noticed the composite port. I've never seen this type of cable. How much information, if any, gets lost between using HDMI and the component cable? I'll be editing this stuff anyway, and while it would be occasionally nice to plug it directly in to my 50" plasma (HDMI), am I really losing that much without that port?

Secondly, once I get it in the computer and edited, is DVD the best method for viewing it widescreen? I'm afraid I'm completly new to this part of it. If it's edited in iMovieHD and burned to DVD, will it be 1080p or 720p?

Thanks!

Lee Wilson March 12th, 2007 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Whitlow (Post 640723)
Secondly, once I get it in the computer and edited, is DVD the best method for viewing it widescreen? I'm afraid I'm completly new to this part of it. If it's edited in iMovieHD and burned to DVD, will it be 1080p or 720p?

Thanks!

DVDs are standard definition so will hold neither 1080i / 1080p or 720p.

To show footage in HD you will need a HD DVD (or Blueray) player / disc and burner.

Colin Gould March 12th, 2007 10:51 PM

It's debatable and subjective if there's really any picture quality difference between HDMI and component HD... mostly, it's more a matter of what plug your TV will support :) (for me, component, so I'm happy w/ HV10)

Since your HDTV has HDMI in, and is a digital display like LCD/plasma, especially if native 1080 res, HDMI may give a better picture. One cable is also a bit less hassle than the 3-wire component cable.

For viewing edited files, either put it back onto a new HDV tape and show it w/ the camera, or get some kind of HD media extender (like AppleTV etc.) or HD-capable networked DVD player that will play back your edited HD video files either via network from your mac, attached USB drive, or HD files on regular DVD-/+R. (eg some DVD players will play back WMV-HD files etc.)
These are around $300ish so still much cheaper than buying both a HD/bluray DVD burner, and matching playback drive. ($1000 each!)

I'm waiting/hoping my HD Tivo will finally enable PC file copy/playback myself since I already paid lots of money for that and it's certainly physically capable..