Best Tripod for these little cameras - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old April 16th, 2007, 11:49 AM   #31
Major Player

My Velbon Videomate 607 arrived today and I am almost entirely thrilled with it. The fluid head works very well in both pan and tilt, the extended size of the tripod is just right, and the quick release, leveling, and spike / rubber feet are very nice as well. It collapses and extendes very smoothly and easily.

My only disappointment is with the size when it is collapsed. Unlike some models which telescope 4 segments per leg, this one has 3, and therefore the collapsed size is pretty big, approx. 27 inches. It thererfore is not an easy matter to stuff it into a piece of luggage for traveling. The weight is pretty light and the size is not terrible, but I wish it were a bit smaller when collapsed.

Considering that it cost $69 including shipping, I would say that the recommendations made to buy it I received on other forums and newsgroups were excellent, and I would buy it again for sure, unless for some reason it breaks easily. It does appear to be well made and sturdy, but time will tell...

Larry
Larry Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #32
Trustee

Anyone try using an HV20 with a Sachtler DV6-SB? The camera is only 1.2 lbs and the head is rated for a minimum weight of 2.2 lbs.

That being said, I might be able to get a pretty good deal on some equipment, in which case I'd be willing to buy a tripod I can use down the road with heavier cameras, ala H1 or G1.

Another option is the DV2 II but even that is rated at 2.2 lbs on the low end.

And finally, there's the DV1 SL MCF tripod system which IS rated for one pound cameras.

Thanks for the help.
Peter Moretti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:51 AM   #33
Tourist

Hello all,
I have an interest in the Manfrotto 560B Monopod with the HV20. But I wonder how stable it is on full zoom...
I like it because of the fluid head and that I can throw it into my suitcase when travelling.
Any thoughts on its stability over a lightweight tripod?
thanks,
Wayne
Wayne Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 06:34 AM   #34
Major Player

I must admit that this mentioned Gitzo G2180 head is the true king of small portable fluid heads when it comes to light loads like fully loaded HV20. It has even adjustable counterbalance spring system to adjust front or back load compensation. But I must admit that Canon`s A1 is the max load for it and it`s not that great for fluid curved diagonal pans. This G2180 head when combined with Hakuba/Velbon ElCarmagne (CF) 645 legs weights only 2,2kg/4,8lbs and is the shortest and lightest long tripod combo out there. This combo will serve as shoulder support too as the QR plate and pan handle are reversible.
Not that cheap tough.

Cheers,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 01:55 PM   #35
Major Player

I'd also be interested in hearing other people's experiences with monopods.

My first impression would be that a monopod cannot be nearly as stable as a tripod, given only 1 versus 3 legs.....but maybe my intuition is wrong. A person who has used both should hopefully be able to tell us.

Larry
Larry Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #36
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Horwitz View Post

My first impression would be that a monopod cannot be nearly as stable as a tripod, given only 1 versus 3 legs.....but maybe my intuition is wrong. A person who has used both should hopefully be able to tell us.

Larry
How about a monopod with three feet? http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=92847
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #37
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Horwitz View Post

Larry
Your impression is right. A monopod tends to Yaw (left-right motion) with your hand in the strap. It takes practice to avoid the tendency. Pans can be a little rough as your "head" is the foot and it is not very fluid. So, it too takes practice. But, for action sports and quick sets, it is really good. I shoot a tripod when I can set it up, a monopod when I move a lot, and a Glidecam when I want to follow the action (this was with my VX2100 - switching to a HC7).

PS - a really good trick with a monopod is using the handstrap. I hold the camera with my right hand and put my left through the strap near the top. I grip the shaft and apply pressure down with the hand strap. That makes the monopod less likely to shake. OIS/EIS is ON.

Last edited by George Ellis; May 7th, 2007 at 03:32 PM. Reason: adding PS
George Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #38
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Godden View Post

I purchased a Bogen 701RC2 (for a similar sized cam) and will probably downsize to the 700RC2.

I'd HIGHLY recommend the Feisol CT-3401 or CT-3402 carbon legs. You can purchase them directly from Feisol or through the US distributor. These legs plus the 700RC2 would be a perfect setup for a light/small cam.

Regards
JohnG
Hi John,
I found your suggestion for Feisol CT-3401/02 to be a great one. Going to have one soon!
However 700RC2 head seems to be much worser than 701RC2 (info from a review). In case you have used both can you comment?

Can anyone suggest any other cheaper head that can be used with hv20?
Ajit Bikram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2007, 08:50 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Brennan View Post
Hello all,
I have an interest in the Manfrotto 560B Monopod with the HV20. But I wonder how stable it is on full zoom...
I like it because of the fluid head and that I can throw it into my suitcase when travelling.
Any thoughts on its stability over a lightweight tripod?
thanks,
Wayne
The zoom is as stable as you are. I deploy the three legs on the bottom and step on one (pay attention to that leg if it will shift a lot) while looking through the viewfinder for stability. Then I do a slow zoom while moving the the body. Keeping a firm (keep position) but loose enough (not transmit nervous motion to camera) grip appears to take practice if you intend to keep the position long. If you're absent minded like me you may brush or pull the monopod as you let go or try to go beyond the range of the ball base.

I like the 506B now that I've had practice. It's light enough to carry around. It fits in a suitcase/duffelbag. And it can stand on its own on level surfaces.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders