Best Tripod for these little cameras - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 16th, 2007, 01:37 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Barrette View Post
What would you suggest as the best tripod for an HC20?

My situation is, I recently purchased an FX1, and basically, I am considering moving over to canon instead because I want to shoot in 24P and I feel the FX1 is a little limiting considering it is a very big camera but doesn't have necessarilly a lot of features to show for it. I was thinking about the Canon A1, but now I am thinking about getting going with the HC20 because it's a heck of a deal, and it sounds like in well lit situations, it's pretty much as good as it's bigger brothers. Personally, I love the candid shots, so a small camera is definitely best for that. I'd probably add an A1 to the mix when funds permit.

So my question is, I am using 351MVB sticks with monfrotto 503 head for the fx1, and I am not a fan of lugging around this monster everywhere I go. I like to be mobile.

What tripod would you recommend that doesn't have the weight that is capable of professional shooting with these cameras?

I'm still very newbie with the big tripods, so I am assuming maybe a big tripod is pretty much required to ensure a rock solid shot, but I'll let you guys answer for me!

thanks
Michael
Don't buy somethg "too big". These little cams need a lightweight head. I'm asuming you're referring to the HV20 camera here.

I purchased a Bogen 701RC2 (for a similar sized cam) and will probably downsize to the 700RC2.

I'd HIGHLY recommend the Feisol CT-3401 or CT-3402 carbon legs. You can purchase them directly from Feisol or through the US distributor. These legs plus the 700RC2 would be a perfect setup for a light/small cam.

Regards
JohnG
John Godden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 02:47 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Szudzik View Post
I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your footage. Are you putting any basic filters on the lense for extra protection there?

Yeah, I'm up on the Plateau as well, up near the fire-station on 228th.

--Steve
Ah, go through the round-about and turn right... Actually right next to Beaver Lake not on it but within 2-300yds

Just a plain UV Filter I grabbed for like $20...

Camera got hit once so far, where the camera meets the tripod, no damage to either ;)

Paintball isn't as damaging as people think it is...
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 03:11 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Tripod? how about a...

Steadicam Merlin! I know, I know, different tools for different purposes. But I think a Merlin would be a nifty thing to use with the HV10 and HV20.
Geoff Murrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 06:37 PM   #19
Major Player

I have just received a glidecam 2000 on loan so if anyone give me any tips on setting it up I can give give some feedback on its use with the HV10!
Fergus Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #20
Major Player

I too am looking for a good tripod fluid head. Do alot of outdoor panning of moving objects. Must be smooth, and must have a leveling bubble on the tripod head. Don't want to spend too much money and overdo it. Also, does anybody know if the HV20 will have any kind of a remote for controling the camcorder?

Mike
Mike Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 08:32 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Burgess View Post
I too am looking for a good tripod fluid head. Do alot of outdoor panning of moving objects. Must be smooth, and must have a leveling bubble on the tripod head. Don't want to spend too much money and overdo it. Also, does anybody know if the HV20 will have any kind of a remote for controling the camcorder?

Mike
I've used the Manfrotto 560B Monopod with very good results on the HV-10 particularly for panning outdoors and for boom type shots overhead or obstacles.
Very light, compact and has swivel at the feet that is very smooth, also small spring out tripod feet for very steady shots on tele. with no wind or indoors supports the HV-10 very well with no hands, has a quick release clamp which will be better to use on the HV-20 because you don't have to load from the buttom.

Luis
Luis A. Diaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2007, 10:55 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Busch View Post
Ah, go through the round-about and turn right... Actually right next to Beaver Lake not on it but within 2-300yds

Just a plain UV Filter I grabbed for like $20...

Camera got hit once so far, where the camera meets the tripod, no damage to either ;)

Paintball isn't as damaging as people think it is...
I played it a few times back in my early 20's in NC and always had a ton of fun with it. A few good welts, but lots of fun. Just got too busy after we moved up here and haven't done it since then.

-Steve
Steve Szudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 12:13 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis A. Diaz View Post
I've used the Manfrotto 560B Monopod with very good results on the HV-10 [...]
I use exactly the same combination - it is very mobile. When there ist no wind and the monopod is in the lowest position it will even stand on its little tripod. When you remove your hands or start the recording using the remote control (what I do, same with the zoom), you get perfect shakefree shots. I also tried to lean somewhere against to get stability into the system. However - when I had nothing to lean against and there was no way to let it stand by itself I wished to have a tipod with a fluid head. Even though the 560b has a fluid part for smooth sideways movements I found it extremely hard to do smooth moves, because the there is no arm to turn the camera.

Yesterday I have posted a short movie with some of the shots I did with this combination:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=91366

Regards,

Oliver
Oliver Reik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 01:29 AM   #24
Major Player

My Manfrotto 501 head with 755B legs arrived today - it's fantastic!! Smooth as butter, despite being built for larger cameras. I bought the tripod to last, and to be compatable with larger cameras such as the Z1U - but it works and feels just great with my little HV20.
Old April 13th, 2007, 07:17 AM   #25
Regular Crew

One option would be the Bogen 3001 with the Bogen 3126 head....

that combo is $170.00 at B&H.... its a very sturdy tripod/head combo and
you can add options later if you want to make it even better for your requirements...

If you search on the B&H site with Bogen 3126 you will see many different
combinations to choose from...

hope this helps you out...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #26
New Boot

I'm surprised nobody mentioned a gorillapod. Anyone using one of these with the HV20 and if so which version?
Robert Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2007, 10:42 AM   #27
Contributor

i got the bogen 700RC2 and a set of induro ax214 legs, i'm very happy with this setup, the induro's center column can be articulated in almost any direction, so it's a nice addition for my hv20 and for my still cams for doing macro stuff when shooting at the ground etc...
Old April 13th, 2007, 01:51 PM   #28
Major Player

Since I got my new HV20 a week ago, and disposed of my bulky FX-1 and heavy tripod last week, I posed the very same question on a couple video production and professional newsgroups to get other people's recommendations for a light and cheap tripod with a good smooth fluid head.

A couple people recommended the Velbon Videomate 607 at around $79.

After Googling the reviews and comments, I ordered one and should receive it in the next few days. I will be glad to offer opinions.

Given it is very inexpensive, relatively light and small, and apparently does have good smooth fluid head I figured it was pretty much a no-brainer, but time will tell.

Larry
Larry Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Horwitz View Post
A couple people recommended the Velbon Videomate 607 at around $79.
I had one of these sitting around in my closet unused for years (needed more stability with my DVX100). Now with the HV20, it's perfect combination of weight and stability with a very nice (for $80 at least) fluid head.

But I am thinking that for most of my non-filmmaking stuff (e.g., family videos), I am going to go with a small table top tripod. I'm currently using the little stand that comes with this flash and it's perfect : http://www.adorama.com/SUDFK.html?se...ital&item_no=2
Peter J Alessandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #30
Major Player

It's a monopod for me

I got lucky today and was just in time to pickup one of five HV20s that literally just came in to B&H. I was originally there to buy a tripod/monopod (my previous noname didn't survive abuse). Walked away with a Manfrotto 560B Monopod. Yes, I know its not a tripod. The three leg base and the panning action worked well for my skittish run-and-gun style. On hardwood floors and little movement it appears it can stand on its own (discount that if you have children in the premises). At $150 its not cheap for a hunk of aluminum. But it's light and short enough to fit in a suitcase or sports bag for travelling.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84946364@N00/460626929/

Last edited by Mike Dulay; April 15th, 2007 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Add picture
Mike Dulay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders