Best Tripod for these little cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 15th, 2007, 01:21 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best Tripod for these little cameras

What would you suggest as the best tripod for an HC20?

My situation is, I recently purchased an FX1, and basically, I am considering moving over to canon instead because I want to shoot in 24P and I feel the FX1 is a little limiting considering it is a very big camera but doesn't have necessarilly a lot of features to show for it. I was thinking about the Canon A1, but now I am thinking about getting going with the HC20 because it's a heck of a deal, and it sounds like in well lit situations, it's pretty much as good as it's bigger brothers. Personally, I love the candid shots, so a small camera is definitely best for that. I'd probably add an A1 to the mix when funds permit.

So my question is, I am using 351MVB sticks with monfrotto 503 head for the fx1, and I am not a fan of lugging around this monster everywhere I go. I like to be mobile.

What tripod would you recommend that doesn't have the weight that is capable of professional shooting with these cameras?

I'm still very newbie with the big tripods, so I am assuming maybe a big tripod is pretty much required to ensure a rock solid shot, but I'll let you guys answer for me!

thanks
Michael
Michael Barrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:09 AM   #2
Regular Crew

For portability I am using a Gitzo 2180 head (1.26 pounds) on a Manfrotto 442 Carbon (3.8 pounds) combination. I find this to be a good compromise between weight and quality for use with small cameras. Up to medium tele I don't believe there is any difference between the results from this compared to a heavier support. The Gitzo has an interesting but effective balancing mechanism, very smooth movements plus I no longer grimace at the thought of carrying a tripod on a serious hike.

Best wishes,
Peter
Old March 15th, 2007, 02:18 PM   #3
Major Player

That head/tripod combination is more than the camera!
Joe Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 05:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

> That head/tripod combination is more than the camera!

True, but it won't go out of date, either!

That's the beauty of buying an HV20 instead of a Red or 3CCD "Pro" cam... it leaves you with money to spend on stuff that doesn't go out of date.

That's my plan anyway - with the money I save not going for a high-end cam I'm going to buy a nice tripod, some lights, a Schoeps hypercardiod mic and a nice mixer, purchasing on a gradual basis as funds permit... in 5 years time I'll just drop in a HV60 (or a used higher-end cam). But then, I'm going the 35mm adapter route, so the base weight of my HV20 package will be somewhat higher than average ;)

The HV20. It's like a Honda Civic. Except that all of those stupid aftermarket parts you buy for it will work fine in that Porsche you buy in 5 years' time...

Bruce Allen
www.boacinema.com
Bruce Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:49 PM   #5
Major Player

The way I treat my stuff I'd break it ;)

I film paintball... my $20 tripod gets shot atleast 5 times per game... luckily my camera only got hit a couple times...
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:54 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Busch View Post
The way I treat my stuff I'd break it ;)

I film paintball... my $20 tripod gets shot atleast 5 times per game... luckily my camera only got hit a couple times...
I was wondering about that after seeing some of your clips. Do you have any extra protection around it at all, or is it full exposed to the paint rounds? I showed my kids your sample clips and now they keep hounding me to take them! Not quite old enough yet though (7 & 5). It was actually your footage that helped convince my wife to let me spend the money to get my HD camera next month! Many thanks!

-Steve
Steve Szudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:00 PM   #7
Major Player

Haha, I'll have another video in the next couple days...

Tripod and camera are basically completely exposed

http://www.lousyheros.com/pics/cam.jpg

Is what I did to help w/ the rain... the first event I filmed the camera would stop playing back after I was done... sent it to canon and got it back in a week.

The next event I covered it in a garbage back, ducttape, and cardboard (the footage you saw)

The most recent event looks like that picture up there... cardboard + ducttape... it didn't rain hard though...

Haha just noticed you're from sammamish too... where at? I'm on the plateau...
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:47 PM   #8
Regular Crew

You guys may laugh, but my HV20 will spend a lot of time on this ingenious $17 product: "The Pod." It's outrageously useful.

http://www.thepod.ca/home.html

I also have a Miller DS10 that will be used when the HV20 is mounted to my Redrock M2 (alas, The Pod can't handle that much weight).
C.S. Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:03 AM   #9
Major Player

I'm laughing, but not at you. It's those before & after photos. Are they kidding?

I want one, but it's not because of the demonstration pics http://www.thepod.ca/content/advantage.html

I've used wrist & keyboard pads before from IMAK Ergobeads products & this Pod thing seems like a more efficient way to go about it.

Bill
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #10
Major Player

lol that looks like a bit of photoshop + gaussian blur action there ;)
Old March 16th, 2007, 02:52 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
That head/tripod combination is more than the camera!
Michael asked, "what is the BEST tripod for an HC20?". I agree it's not the cheapest, but it would be hard to beat for performance/weight. He also wants to eventually buy an A1 and this tripod is a good match for that, too. I would think twice, though, before using it at a paintball match.

Best wishes,
Peter
Old March 16th, 2007, 03:11 AM   #12
Major Player

Haha, which is why I'm looking for a cheap but better than my $20 vanguard... ($100-300) with a relatively smooth head... I'm not looking for perfection...
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Haha, I'll have another video in the next couple days...

Tripod and camera are basically completely exposed

http://www.lousyheros.com/pics/cam.jpg

Is what I did to help w/ the rain... the first event I filmed the camera would stop playing back after I was done... sent it to canon and got it back in a week.

The next event I covered it in a garbage back, ducttape, and cardboard (the footage you saw)

The most recent event looks like that picture up there... cardboard + ducttape... it didn't rain hard though...

Haha just noticed you're from sammamish too... where at? I'm on the plateau...
I'm looking forward to seeing some more of your footage. Are you putting any basic filters on the lense for extra protection there?

Yeah, I'm up on the Plateau as well, up near the fire-station on 228th.

--Steve
Steve Szudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:05 PM   #14
Regular Crew

In his other thread he said he used a UV filter.
Ben Troxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:17 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Thanks,

This actually looks like a pretty sweet setup:

Gitzo 2180 head (1.26 pounds) on a Manfrotto 442 Carbon (3.8 pounds)

Being mobile is where it's at... lugging around too much equipment causes shoulder pain!

Cheers,
M
Michael Barrette is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders