Returning HV20 after 1 hour - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old March 25th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #91
New Boot

I question the veracity of the original post. To be blunt, I think it's a story written to discredit the camera right out of the shoot. I might start to believe it if this is still a viable topic in a few months. I appreciate those who gave sincere replys.

An internet BB 'drive-by'.
Doug Thome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 05:47 PM   #92
Obstreperous Rex

Well I think it's obvious that the title of the thread should be changed. No doubt the original poster returned the HV20 after one hour, but the reason was not "due to bad autofocus design." It was instead perhaps due to unrealistic expectations or unfamiliarity with how the camcorder is designed to operate. I'll come up with some suitable revision for a more appropriate thread title.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 07:30 PM   #93
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
Well I think it's obvious that the title of the thread should be changed. No doubt the original poster returned the HV20 after one hour, but the reason was not "due to bad autofocus design." It was instead perhaps due to unrealistic expectations or unfamiliarity with how the camcorder is designed to operate. I'll come up with some suitable revision for a more appropriate thread title.
Thanks, Chris!

I think that would be appropriate, all things considered.

Mike
Old March 25th, 2007, 08:48 PM   #94
Inner Circle

Quote:
Me too, and thanks Chris! Yes the title of this thread got screwed around and maybe should be changed.

I await your modification. See you at NAB.

Mike
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:37 PM   #95
Obstreperous Rex

Thread title changed from "Returning HV20 after 1 hour due to bad autofocus design" to "Returning HV20 after 1 hour." We know for a fact that the "Returning HV20 after 1 hour" part is true. The "bad autofocus design" part is an obfuscation. There is nothing wrong with the autofocus design on the HV20, and it is highly unlikely that there was anything at all wrong with this particular HV20. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2007, 09:42 PM   #96
Major Player

Quote:
Thread title changed from "Returning HV20 after 1 hour due to bad autofocus design" to "Returning HV20 after 1 hour." We know for a fact that the "Returning HV20 after 1 hour" part is true. The "bad autofocus design" part is an obfuscation. There is nothing wrong with the autofocus design on the HV20, and it is highly unlikely that there was anything at all wrong with this particular HV20. Hope this helps,
Perfect! Now If I can just get mine sometime this week.

I'll be happy to post some footage as well.

If anyone wants to beat me to the "really low light footage" please feel free. ;)

Cheers,

Mike
Old March 26th, 2007, 06:40 AM   #97
Trustee

Quote:
I don't even think 'unrealistic expectations' fits, because the camera does focus quickly and accurately whether you're zooming or not. This was true of the HV10 and remains true with the HV20. In fact I'm not sure what I could do to simulate the 'problem' she had.....cover the lens with my hand, cover the instant autofocus window????
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 02:34 PM   #98
Major Player

Mine 'seemed' to have this exact same focus problem for about two minutes. I know cameras don't have a tabula rasa type brain but honestly . . . I think the camera somehow adjusted its ability to focus properly. For those who have an HV20 coming I'd be curious if you have the same experience.
Matt Buys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2007, 03:04 PM   #99
Major Player

HVX-20's got the stealth mojo

I tell ya, I was so impressed with this footage from the HV20 with the Brevis adapter http://www.cinevate.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=479 that I'm thinking I gots to get me one o' these. I could make great use of the 24p cinema mode. I imagine myself riding the crouded trains of Manhattan, having the talent do their thing while I shoot way without anyone even noticing I'm carrying a camera in my inconspicuous little bag. To quote our friend from the Brevis forum the HV-20 "got the 'stealth' mojo working hard"

P.S: strike the "X"...lol
Old March 26th, 2007, 07:28 PM   #100
Trustee

If anyone wondering, Camcorderinfo’s review of the HV20 is up and they claim that the auto focusing is indeed better than the HC7’s.

If only I have spent more than a few minutes trying out the Canon HV20 I would have found out if the auto focus is better than the Panasonic AG-HSC1U that I tried for about an hour.
Paulo Teixeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 11:53 AM   #101
Regular Crew

Can someone please change the title of this thread?

I received a replacement HV20 from BestBuy this morning.
Strangely, this is the first time that I've been asked to sign
on the driver's electronic pad.

Anyway, I immediatey took it out and attached the battery.
(yes, I know I should have charged it first, but I only had
a few minutes before I had to leave the house)

WOW! This HV20 definitely die NOT have any problem
with autofocus. I aimed it at the same objects under
the same light.(all done on a tripod) No problemo!

I guess the first HV20 that I returned must have been
a randon defective unit.... perhaps I should look into
BestBuy's 4-year service plan... :)
Leila Alkadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #102
Major Player

Leila, or it just could have been what was explained quite well here...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Dunkel View Post
Mike, The default instant auto focus us just that, way fast, in this case calling it instant isn't much of a stretch. If the center of the image is small, like a squirrel, it will hunt if the camera person is shaky with the camera or the squirrel moves, not so with a larger subject or a steady hand. It is a very useful auto foucs feature, you can even simulate a rack focus with it, it snaps to that fast, it is unlike any other auto focus I've used and a great tool. I did change mine to regular ( not instant ) in the menu and it works like any consumer auto focus. I've been using that setting, but when going with manual focus I set back to the instant mode and can go to that or manual quickly that way without the menu. To each his own, but there are no issues with HV20 focus. None at all, now like any auto focus when you get in low light performance of the auto focus degrades, I'd suggest going manual and using the focus assist on the LCD when lighting dims. The HV20 image does do well in lower light, at least in 24p mode, which took me by surprise. I'm in no way saying it is a night vision device, you need light, but it does well in that regard for a basic consumer camera. My plan is to use an external monitor for narrative work, but that is due to the addition of the Brevis35 on front and a Nikon 50mm. In that configuration I will focus using a 720p monitor, not needed for the camera on its own though.
Thanks, Alan
Old March 27th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #103
Major Player

Manual focus/ manual exposure/ ext mic

Manual focus/ manual exposure/ ext mic

Has anyone tried any of these features?
Larry Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #104
Major Player

manula focus, exposure and external mic

I have tried using these features. Manual focus and exposure functions work quite well. It's fun to us Av mode and see how changing the aperture affects depth of field.

Sadly, the Rode Videomic is picking up the whine of the camera, even when I attach it to a bracket off to the side of the camera. The Videomic has a high pass filter switch, but even selecting this does not filter out the noticeable whine of the camera. I can eliminate this by cranking down the mic sensitivity, but I have to lower the input volume too much to do so.
Pat Reddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #105
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Reddy View Post
I have tried using these features. Manual focus and exposure functions work quite well. It's fun to us Av mode and see how changing the aperture affects depth of field.
Pat, could you upload an example? I'd be really really interested to see how shallow a depth of field is possible with the HV20. Ideal would be a subject around 10-20ft from the camera.

Dino
Dino Leone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders